“Great food with excellent view”

Mirador del Abrante
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Agulo
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

This place seems to churn around a lot of excursions so it’s difficult to get a table and we had to wait for an hour before we got a table. But it was totally worth it. We went for chorizo, baked cheese, padrón peppers and chicken croquettes and it was all amazing. Very robust list of wines available. Experience and food offered good value for money - don’t be put off if you have to wait!

Reviewed 5 February 2018

The architecture and the view are great. Not far from nice hiking tracks. The bad news is that the food is substandard even in Canary islands terms. The service staff was friendly but too few to be able to help the entire restaurant. The experience was further corrupted by a very noisy and embarrassing performance of the indigenous Canary language (whistling). I am not to judge whether they actually whistled it, but I can tell that it was both painful to the audience and hardly respectful to the culture now almost extinct.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

I'm not blaming Mirador del Abrante for choosing an awful day on which to visit as strong wind, heavy rain and low cloud obscured the view over Agulo. However, I think I can blame them for a very cold and draughty restaurant. We had reserved a table and positioned ourselves as far away as possible from the main door. This, by design, was open to the elements. An extra fleece over a jumper helped but couldn't keep out the cold. It is remarkably hard to enjoy a meal when all you want to do is jump up and down to keep warm. In this sense the building is a triumph of design over function.

The food itself was disappointing. The asparagus in tempura was excellent and the grilled cheeses looked fantastic. However, the cheeses were cold in the middle, exactly the opposite of what we wanted in the conditions! My wife had chicken in garlic but the dish looked grey and lacked flavour. I opted for the grilled pork. It was a huge portion but sadly the pork was dry and tough. I also asked for a different potato dish but was served the standard baked potatoes. The house red was good but chilled down too much to properly enjoy. The value was reasonable at Euros36 for 4 dishes, a glass of wine and a bottle of water. It was too cold to order coffee, we needed to get moving!

The viewing gallery is smaller than I had expected. The floor was wet and slippery and the windows needed a good clean. Not sure it was worth the journey and I would not attempt the approach road in the dark.

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

First of all, the location is absolutely stunning. Even the drive from Playa Santiago, through the forest and fog, with a 15 degree delta in temperature, would have made it a worthy adventure. The gorgeous views, delicious food and la Gomera wine, and terrific service by Romen (whose family had been on la Gomera for 400 years) made it one of the most memorable meals of our lives! My husband had the baked cheese, I had the tempura asparagus, and fish with couscous. All delicious! You must visit.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

It's worth the drive to get there! Restaurant with a small glass viewing platform. Lots of coaches and visitors mulling around taking photos (selfies) without eating in the restaurant. Food is good, not stunning but fine. Overall I'd say that the location is no where near as spectacular as the Cesar Manrique Mirador also on La Gomera. Whist the restaurant there is currently closed, and lets hope that changes soon, the view from the Cesar Manrique Mirador is much more spectacular. On top of the fact that the building is also more interesting and in keeping with the islands heritage. But see both - and review here on TripAdvisor!