“Schloss Elmau: what a relaxing place!”
Review of Schloss Elmau

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in Schloss Elmau for 4 nights. We arranged a airport pick up which was great because it was very snowy so it was very easy to just hop in the car that was just in front of the airport. February is a very busy time for the hotel so it was fully booked. The only way I could book for 4 nights was to accept 3 nights in one room and then change rooms for the last night.

The first 3 nights we had a 1 bedroom Suite (60-65 Sqm with a living room) and the last night we were in a junior suite XXL. Both the rooms were absolutely GREAT, but the view of the last cannot be beaten. It was huge (we could have brought the kids since there was one extra bedroom/bathroom with it), and the 'room' was in the corner of the building: it had windows everywhere, overviewing the mountains with the snow, breathtaking..

The Spa on the first floor is great too, we went there every day. We loved the salt swimming pool. It was very special to swim there and sit there in the salty water, with snow all around you! The whole atmosphere of the hotel and the Spa's is very relaxing, we enjoyed that a lot, that's why we came there in the first place.
The only minor thing is that in the 'ruheraums', you are not allowed to eat or drink (also at the spa/swimmingpool at the 3rd floor). We would have liked it to order some drinks over there because the chairs/ beds are nice and it was a good place to relax and also because of the sauna you are very thirsty al the time!

We took several beauty-treatments and massages during our stay. My husband liked the traditional Tuina massage, and I thought the Niance intensive facial treatment was great. The 'black gold mudpack' wasn't what we'd expected, but the Hamam experience, the orient express, was absolutely fantastic.

The service in the hotel is outstanding, it is at a very high standard.
We had dinner in the several restaurants, and lunch in the small restaurant near the spa at the 1st floor.
The Luce d'Oro was quite good, the furniture/decoration wasn't really our taste but the food was wonderfully served.
The other restaurants were fine too, we liked the Italian restaurant a lot. And even the last evening when we had dinner at 'La Salle' we thought it was a very nice kind of 'buffet', with all the small different little plates to choose from, we liked that as well. The Ananda where we took our lunch wasn't so great but we enjoyed sitting there on the terrace one day in the sun all surrounded by snow.

We liked the atmosphere in the wintergarden lounge and the tea garden lounge and in the evening, after dinner, we always went to the Kaminbar lounge for a nice glass of red wine.
The last day we had room service for our breakfast since we had this beautiful room with the stunning view, we wanted to stay there as long as possible ;)

We will sure recommend this hotel to friends, because it is an excellent place to relax with great service!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flyingdutchie
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear flyingdutchie,

I am very glad to hear that you made it home safely and must say that it was a pleasure making you and your spouses acquaintance during your recent stay. It pleases me to hear how much you enjoyed our restaurants and the various facilities. The room you had on the last night of your stay is actually called the "Alpspitze Apartment", just so your are informed before your next visit.

With regards to the "ruheraums" I am sorry to hear that you were misinformed regarding drinks and food. We have located next to every "ruheraum" in Schloss Elmau a wide variety of teas, flavored waters, fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts available at no extra charge. In addition the Spa Restaurant Ananda offers breakfast from 7am -12pm and light menu options from 1pm-4pm.

The team at Schloss Elmau is always trying to do their best in order to make sure that our guests receive the most out of their time with us. I am happy to see that we were successful in your case and look forward to your next visit. I know that I gave you my business card, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any assistance prior to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Schloss Elmau

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We met up with my extended family at Schloss Elmau to spend the most memorable Christmas ever. For four nights and days, our party of 10 was spoiled rotten by the fairy-tale beauty of the magical surroundings and the magnificent hotel which is exquisitely decorated, elegant, yet very cozy and warm. I don't even know where to begin to describe our experience with the wonderful staff; they all made us feel like we were home away from home. Everyone from the reception counter to the restaurant to the spa to the housekeeping crew to the hotel manager to the owner were always very, very attentive and personable. The staff at Schloss Elmau mix absolute professionalism with joyfulness and positive energy, hence the hotel (which absolutely deserves to be a 5-star hotel and be part of the Leading Hotels of the World) feels very classy without ever feeling stuffy and pretentious. I travel extensively but can say with certainty that this is one of the best (if not THE best) hotels I have ever stayed at. Schloss Elmau offers a very successful mix of sophistication with family-friendliness in the most beautiful setting one can imagine. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Heike T
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Heike T,

Not only was it a true pleasure to host you and your family, but in addition I must say that I was very touched by your glowing review of Schloss Elmau. Often people assume that a large party, or family gathering might encounter difficulties while traveling, however in Schloss Elmau we find it a very gratifying experience and feel that it adds to the personal touch that we strive to offer. I am so happy that you all enjoyed your stay, especially your mother and father who were both very kind. Your description of the experience you had with us does sound somewhat magical, or something out of a fairy tale, but the truth is we endeavor to deliver this experience to each and every one of our guests, to ensure a long lasting relationship, like a Grimm’s Tale were the guests lived “Happily Ever After”.

Thank you and please do not hesitate to call on me if you require any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I went on my wife's recommendation and can now only recommend anyone looking for a perfect mix of cultural, physical, nutritious and pampering environment to take a few days there. The variety of rooms will cater for all - more character features in the main building and more contemporary in the newly added Wetterstein Fluge. The choice of restaurants is superb from healthy buffet to one Michelin star, the concerts I attended were all of high quality, the spa and programmes available suited my expectations very well - 90 minutes physio relax highly recommended..., and, hire a bike on site or snow shoes to venture in this beautiful part of the Alps.... Writing this makes me want to go again now!

• Stayed: November 2011
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Dear JosselinetSara,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your 90 minute physio relax massage, and therefore suggest that during your next stay with us you try out the Special Blend, a truly unique Schloss Elmau treatment. On behalf of my entire team, I would like to thank you for the very kind words in your review of your recent visit. I am glad that you were able to enjoy so much of what we have to offer, from the restaurants, to the spas, to the concerts and the public rooms and lounges. I will encourage you to keep on writing......as long as it "makes me want to go again now! "

Thank you for your review and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you need anything before your next visit.

all the best,

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Lovely quiet mountainside location, Our room had wonderful views of the mountains was very conformable and well equipped. No complaints regarding the room or service whatsoever.
Wellness area very good with a separate area for adults only, an inspired idea! Great rooftop swimming pool.
Eating, the winter garden restaurant was nice and the bar snacks too. I didn't try the Michelin starred restaurant but did eat in the restaurant in the big hall . This was not as good as I expected. Its a shame as the food doesn't live up to the other standard in the hotel IMHO.
would I come back here again, most definitely. I think its a great location summer or winter for a break or holiday. Just wish they could improve the food.

Room Tip: -South side rooms have a lovely mountain view. - Eat breakfast in the small restaurant in the Adult...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear UKnowMyName,

Thank you very much for posting the review of your recent stay at Schloss Elmau. I was very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely be coming back. For us that is always the biggest compliment. As always we are continually striving to improve our product and its offering and will take your comments with regards to the Food in the La Salle restaurant seriously. Having a minimum of 2 restaurants open each day for each meal period, gives our guests a wide spectrum to choose from. Typically during each week at least 4 different restaurants are open for dinner, so that our guest can constantly try something new! Hopefully during your next visit I can reserve a table for you in one of our other restaurants.

All the best, and please feel free to contact me with any requests before your next visit.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My husband and I booked for a week based on the hotel's reputation and our desire for a week of rest and relaxation in the midst of a tiring trip. We are both in our 70s but found after a couple of days that the pace was too slow for us. And while the scenery is wonderful, it's a bit of a comedown after a stay in the Swiss Alps. We would have been happier with a 3-day stay.

We had a wonderful room. I loved the way you can book a particular room, not just a price range. We chose the large junior suite with the bay windows. It was truly wonderful, though the complaints about the sun are justified, but we just kept the curtains drawn. And there were black-out curtains that were easy to draw. I could lie in the comfy bed and look at the forest and mountains beyond and know that no one could see in. My only complaints about the room were that we had to put our laptops on the floor to recharge them -- no free outlets by the desk. And the shower leaked so that I would bring back a spa towel to mop up all the water. I loved the elephant motif. The quality was of a 5-star hotel but the feeling was of a posh country lodge.

Other things I really liked: You could just put your money away during the stay, though the staff didn't know how to let a guest use the safe deposit boxes and would open and bring out my valuables. They need some training. I liked the keys that you could just swipe. There were apples all over the hotel and spa all day long, and you could make your own tea in the spa, and it was a terrific quality tea. I loved the bathrobes in multi-colors and always 2 different ones in a room so you and your partner knew whose was whose.

The laundry service was very good and returned the same day. Much less expensive than in city hotels.

I have never before stayed anyplace where there were 4 swimming pools. One day I swam in 3 of them and regretted that though the weather was warm for September, the outdoor pool had a closed sign on it. There was also a rooftop pool that was pretty cold on cold days -- but I liked it -- and then a ground-level heated pool that my husband found disconcerting because it was suits optional. The fourth was an indoor pool for families, but when the weather was good, I had it to myself.

Our major problem in our week's stay was with the food. The cold food was fine, and there were even tropical fruits daily of a quality to be found in Hawaii. The soups in La Salle, the main restaurant were usually superb. But the cooked foods were not up to even 4-star standard. The hotel claims that the main courses are cooked for you in front of you, but in fact they are composed for you from ingredients that have already been cooked. Twice paella was on the menu, but this was prepared by taking rice that had been cooked and adding other ingredients at your request. It was more like fried rice than paella. The portions were small, but you could ask for more.

We tried eating in Fidelio one night. We were warmly welcomed by the Maitre d' and the server. But as the meal progressed the service went downhill. We had to wait 43 minutes for dessert. By that time, my husband had given up and left, but I wanted to see just how long it would take. No servers came near our table after my request to get the dessert, and no one ever came to apologize. The every-so friendly Maitre d' was busy being friendly at other tables. And we found the portions small, so we never went back.

We didn't eat in the Michelin restaurant because we found the limited choices not for us, so that's a matter of taste. But we also found the lunches limited and we had difficulty finding anything we wanted to eat a second time. The club sandwich was not very good, people at another table were looking very dubiously at a hamburger, and the tramezzini were on tasteless white bread and oozing with may. The Vital salad was excellent and I had that 3 times. My husband skipped lunch and ate apples until we found a small hotel 15 minutes away on foot and had the best food of the week: true German sausages and great salads. But the owner told us the Schloss owned it and they didn't expect to be in business the coming year.

We also got bored. We didn't have a car but we like to hike. We took hikes in all four directions for an hour or more and all four paths were lovely but the same. Wide forestry roads through tall trees. I felt I should like it all better than I did, but after a stay in Grindelwald....

I asked a concierge about getting to one of the neighboring towns. I was given complicated information about using the hotel van and nearly gave up, and then I discovered on my own that there was bus service twice a week from the main road below the hotel. Why didn't the concierge tell me about that? And usually there was no one on the desk.

Quibbles: The rooftop pool was always smoky from the fireplace chimneys. It rather spoiled being in the beautiful outdoors. The plumbing was not great. The drain cover in the sink wouldn't stay closed, I had trouble adjusting the water temp in the tub, and the tub was a tight fit even for normal-sized people. The maids left the temp in the shower too hot and it was hard to figure out how to adjust the shower so the overhead shower didn't come pouring down on you. I also felt in the spa as if I was in an old-folks home much of the time,particularly with everyone wandering around in robes and lying on lounge chairs just staring at the ceiling.

I guess my conclusion is that this place didn't come up to my expectations. If you come with a car and can take long excursions plus a few hikes, or if you truly just want to lie around the spa and get massages, it might be the place for you. But if you want to hike and eat simple food freshly cooked, try a Swiss resort.

Room Tip: Go on the web and choose exactly the kind of room you want, and remember that a lot of the rooms are...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank susanmccallum

Dear Susan McCallum,

I would like to thank you for the very detailed and informative review you made regarding your stay at Schloss Elmau. I was very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed many of the features offered at Schloss Elmau, like the multiple swimming pools, the rooms, the food amenities in the various spas, the multicolored bathrobes, the laundry service, etc. We are always trying to exceed our guests expectations and it seems that we achieved that on many levels with regards to your stay.

It does sadden me to hear that you did not find all of the 6 restaurants to be to your liking. Your waiting time in the restaurant Fidelio is unacceptable and I was sorry to hear about that. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the cold foods and the soups in Restaurant La Salle. Here at Schloss Elmau we offer a very broad palette of Culinary offerings from Fondue to BBQ, from the Ananda Spa Restaurant to our Michelin Starred Gourmet Restaurant Luce d'Oro.

We also pride ourselves in the various programs and activities offered by us free of charge to our guests. The Fit & Activ program with dalily Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi and much more is sure to keep all the guests moving. Our bi-weekly Guided Mountain tours are very popular with the guests. The Action and Outdoor program with Ropes Course, Gorge Expeditions, Archery, White water rafting and more is designed to keep our guests on the move and the unparallelled Cultural offering in the hotel is made to stimulate the mind and soul. Our cultural program offers more than 220 concerts, lectures and debates per year. Each week you find a minimum of 3 events.

Thank you again for the commentary and please contact me directly before you next visit,

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
4.9 km away
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
8.4 km away
Staudacherhof
Staudacherhof
#4 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!