“Lovely little spot ”

Devour Bakery
Ranked #10 of 19 Restaurants in Ballinrobe
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited here with a few friends as part of our Wild Atlantic Way trip. We had just climbed croagh Patrick and were absolutely starved! As it was good Friday, most of us ordered fish goujons while I went for the soup and sandwich option. The lovely lady (the owner I presume) told us our meal would be delayed due to a chip shortage, and that there would be a free round of hot drinks as compensation. We were only waiting an extra 5 minutes so that was a generous unexpected offer we gladly accepted. All in all, the food and the friendliness was just what we needed! Really lovely.

YtHigg, Owner at Devour Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I'm delighted you left us a review, ye were such a lovely bunch and we were delighted to have you visit us. Looking forward to meeting you all again in the future.

Regards
Yvonne aka "the lovely lady"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Called in today and ordered an omelette. Asked for tea and extra salad instead of bread. Omelette arrived promptly enough but with bread. I was, however, more distracted by food residue dried onto my cutlery. I went to the counter and received a new set. Cleaner, but not at the standard it should be. I finished the omelette which was fine but never received my tea.
Cleanliness front of house and service are the first yardsticks any customer uses to judge an eatery.
I never argue in a restaurant. I just vote with my feet. I hope you can improve for your existing and future clientele.

5  Thank Periwonkle
YtHigg, Owner at Devour Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I have full recollection of your visit to our cafe and was very thankful at the time that you brought your issues to our attention, we immediately recalled all the cutlery at the time in question and disciplined the staff member that gave you a slice of bread and seriously disciplined the staff member that didn't give you your tea, we didn't feel you were argumentative at the time and felt we corrected the issues, you obviously feel very deeply about it as you have decided to tell the world via TripAdvisor, we are a local family business in a small town working very hard to make a living and create employment, I was so glad you brought your issues our attention on the day you were in and we immediately amended same so there would be no future occurrences, however I was very hurt to see it on TripAdvisor, life is difficult, self employment is hard and it comes so easy to some to air all issues via a public forum, why after telling us did you still feel you had to give us a review? Could you not have just left it and be satisfied that we would sort the issues out. The staff member in question who gave you the extra slice of bread and forgot your tea is so upset that she has had to take time away, she felt she had dealt with you with respect and manners but when is came to her attention it was up so the world would know it brought the situation to a completely different level. Thank you for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

My last visit to Devour Bakery saw them working around their revamp hence a return visit was in order to experience the changes.
A lovely fresh look greets one when entering the revamped Devour Bakery with all their usual scrumptious cakes and pastries.
In spite of the temptation from the cakes, we opted for the traditional toasted sandwich with a Mocha coffee and Hot Chocolate which was all presented extremely well.
A lovely meal was had of which I would highly recommend this venture to all that visit Ballinrobe.
I will definitely return to try their cakes and pastries as they looked absolutely gorgeous.

1  Thank TimSA2612
YtHigg, Owner at Devour Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to give us a lovely review, we are delighted you enjoyed your experience at Devour and welcome you back I'm the future , please let us know when your in again

Yvonne

Reviewed 30 January 2018

They seem to have worked out the kinks since they opened. Handy location beside the car park and nice food. Good to see it getting its groove. Worth a try.

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Before Devour renovated I found the portions where bigger and the food was a lot nicer, I was in Devour just last week, the portion of chips was far too small, I also asked for no side salad but yet when my meal was brought down to me there was a side salad a simple instruction and it couldn't be followed by the staff! Also I asked for a coffee and it terrible. I usually pop into Devour for a coffee each morning, but lately I find the coffees aren't as nice, there used to be a black haired girl that did the coffees and she was very good at it, by far the best coffee I ever got in Devour she made it ! She is still working there but she seems to be assigned a different job now. I would recommend that you put this into action as you will be loosing customers such as myself if they aren't happy with what they are receiving. Also the takeaway dinners are quite nice but the portion size again is small for the price I'm paying, almost €10 for a small dinner is far too much, as some bother cafés or restaurants may charge the same price but the portion is much larger to what your serving in Devour. There a day I went in for food and I wanted quiche , I was told " there is no quiche today and we have is what's written on the board" this is a big let down as any other café in Ballinrobe has its set menu. I hope you take what I have to say into consideration.

YtHigg, Owner at Devour Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, as you say you are in regularly it would have been nice if you approached me and stated your issues, we make all our quiches fresh from scratch they are not from a box bought in frozen and banged in the oven.On the day in question we had sold out of all our fresh homemade quiches and I am sorry for your disappointment would you prefer if we bought them in and had them available all the time. We are different from other cafe and restaurants in the town as you refered to, every single item we sell we make from scratch, breads, muffins, pastries, quiches, salads we buy nothing in prepped. Our take away option's have never exceeded 8.95 the take away price is €1 less then the sit in price and they are the same size portion, our take away dinners are actually 7.95 I'm wondering how you paid €10 again if you had stated the issue at the time it could have been rectified, as regards the side salad it may have been added by mistake by the kitchen staff, it may have come to the attention of waiting staff and more then likely you were not charged if you were it would have been sorted if you stated this on your visit. We charge €2 for a portion of chips they are presented in a bowl specifically designed for chip portions if you felt that wasn't enough we would have given you more but you never asked us. We are a small family business employing a decent amount of people trying our best to just make things right, trip advisor is a wonderful platform to air things but sometimes a phone call or just ask for me at the counter and you could have gone through all these issues. I see this is your one and only review...thank you for taking the time to write it.