Sorry so long, but worth the read!
I want to say first and foremost, the reason we chose this hotel/resort over many other places we checked out were the outstanding reviews it received by its guest, right here on trip advisor.We spent months searching for the perfect relaxing resort in the Caribbean with romantic views, and great experience. We have to say the reviews definitely lived up to their reputation. This was our first time traveling to Antigua, and i will admit we were a little nervous booking our honeymoon somewhere we had never visited before but after spending weeks reading the reviews and thumbing through the pictures, everything everyone said was completely accurate.
The resort is beautiful, the views were incrediable, the service far exceeded our expectations and the food was fantastic. Def. worth your money and vacation time AMAZING!!!
We visited Cocobay resort back in July 20-August 5th 2012 for our honeymoon. We were looking for a resort that would be fun, but super relaxing with great views. This resort incorporated all of that. The atmosphere is definitely relaxing, on arrival we were met with drinks and cold towels great first impression. They took care of all our needs, signed us up for dinner and quickly rushed us to our cabin. We stayed oceanfront with a plunge pool, and we highly recommend those accommodations. The views were great, the a.c. was perfect for humid days and the private pool was so nice to relax in with my husband at any hour. We loved how the bathroom opened up to the water, it was like having an outdoor shower in the Caribbean which was perfect. It even rained a few afternoons (which apparently is normally down there during August) but that never spoiled a thing.
The resort employees could not have been any more pleasant and accommodating. Cocobay is a small resort and has the ability to have extremely personal service. We missed lunch one day and they brought us snacks to our cabin before dinner as well as drinks. O'Neil the hotel manager was a true gentleman and made a point of making sure everything was taken care of, it impressed me most that he seemed to know every guest by name as well, as the Asst. manager, very impressive. The other employees from the bar tenders, to the waiter staff, to the front desk were so polite and professional. We honestly can't say enough about the staff, they were perfect and we have traveled a great deal and very rarely receive such personal professional service.
The food was great, breakfast & lunch were served buffet style which was nice, tea in the afternoon and dinner you had a menu with many different dishes to choose from. I do wish they had a larger variety, however we always were able to find something on the menu we liked; my husband is a very very picky eater so i was pleased by the choices, something for everyone. It was familiar items, with local flare. One of our favorite dishes were the Coconut Shrimp (best we've ever had) & beef tenderlion. We also recommend the dinner for two on the beach, it was super romantic and food was great.
As for the activities, they had a kayak, windsail & snorkeling equipment for things to do that were free at the resort. I know not alot, but the focus is definitely to relax and enjoy the atmosphere which is exactly why we chose this place and it lived up to that expectation with flying colors. They also had two infinitely pools, both with bars feet away, and they are never crowded and great thatched umbrella's on the beach. We had a couples message in a cabin next to the beach which was great, and for other activities we took a tour and did some shopping at St. John's Bay as well as a Zip Line experience in the rainforest. All our activities we booked right at the front desk they took care of everything, we just meet our ride out front. We also recommend the rainforest zip line activities they were alot of fun, and we got a neat jeep tour of the atlantic side of the island on our way to the rainforest.
The only things we found to be Con's of this resort (& i understand not everyone feels the same way about these items)
-lots of bugs, we were there when it was incredibly humid and rainy. purchasing spray down there for dinner or doing activities is a MUST, first night we got eaten alive. We also saw alot of spiders, and i just hate them so that was yuk :-/
-WI-FI cost a pretty penny (60 usd) on top of the hotel expense which we found annoying
- it's not an activities resort, very few things (ON THE RESORT) for active couples, you'll have to travel off the resort for that which isn't terrible, but costly.
-All beaches in Antigua are public, so there are local vendors on the beach, which wasn't a problem, they were very nice but sometimes annoying.
-the bar closed at 11pm, and the bands rapped up around 9pm would have liked them to go longer
-more storage in the cabin's for hanging clothes would be nice (our only issue all week was on our third day we noticed a line of ants into our suitcases, they were everywhere but that is to be expected, it was just annoying. We emptied our bags and sprayed them with bug spray and never had another issue, i just wish the inside of the cabins were not so buggy
Aside from all that, overall this resort honestly is worth the money, it was very friendly, great food and a paradise-like atmosphere. The views were like stuff you see in magazines. We loved every aspect of our vacation and are counting down the days till we can return. The resort was completely booked, yet we hardly saw any guest except during meals, it was soooo super QUIET & RELAXING !!! It was the perfect honeymoon because we totally just focused on each other. It definitely has that quant rustic Caribbean charm with beautiful turquoise waters. It is an all-inclusive resort and they are exactly that, you don't need to worry about a thing, they take care of it all for you. It is truly a gem in the Carribean and we would go back a 100 times if we had the money :-) The experience was so pleasant and relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua's most romantic all-inclusive resort - Cocobay is a colorful collection of pastel cottages crowning a breezy hillside undulating down to two white-sand beaches and miles of turquoise Caribbean Sea. Blessed with some of the most dramatic ocean views on the island, we cater to couples seeking a romantic getaway in a quaint, natural setting. Guests can choose from 57 private, authentic, Caribbean cottages and 4 plantation houses each enjoying a private verandah with striking sea views and custom designed wooden furniture. The premium pool cottages provide the very best oceanfront locations, and other amenities such as: private plunge pool, more spacious interior including extra seating area, air conditioning, bathrobes and other extra bathroom amenities, private balcony with adirondack chairs and hammock, ceiling fan, mini fridge, shower, hair dryer, espresso coffee machine, iron & ironing board, king size bed with pillowtop mattresses and high thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets, in-room safe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, West Indies, Expedia and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Cocobay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocobay Hotel Bolans
- Coco Bay Antigua
- Cocobay Antigua
- Cocobay Hotel Antigua
- Cocobay Resort Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda