The other reviews are all right this really is a wonderful resort, but for some apartments there is a problem, which I will come on to.
Things I liked are as follows:
We booked through BA and ordered the taxi service to the hotel. We were actually met as we left the plane and whisked through arrivals without having to wait in the long arrivals queue, and then the journey to the hotel was in an air conditioned Range Rover, a nice start to the holiday.
Our apartment, 147, was very well appointed. All the furnishings seemed new and were in good order. There is a great kitchen, with dish washer, freezer, ice maker, a spacious bedroom with a large comfortable bed and a living room. Everything you would want in terms of crockery and utensils are provided as are beach towels. There is a daily maid service. The units are all solidly built, we had people living above us and to either side and we didn’t hear them.
The welcome food pack includes everything you would want, bread, milk, eggs, cheese and even 6 cold beers, a nice touch.
From our apartment the beach was a short water taxi ride or a five minute walk. You can call reception and they will make sure an umbrella and beds are ready for you when you arrive on the beach. The beach itself is good and quite secluded. There is a security guy there making sure no hawkers are allowed to bother the hotel guests. Non-residents can and do use the beach, but it was always quiet the times we visited which suited us.
There is also a very good gym at the hotel, with a lot of equipment. I'm pleased to say I used it most days and most of the time I was the only person in there.
There are two pools one beside the hotel restaurant which is quite small and another larger pool which is serviced by its own bar. We were closest to the large pool which is the one we used the most. There are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas around the pool which is good. The larger pool bar, which is separate to the hotel, also does good food at a very reasonable price. The English lady who owns and runs it is a delight, with a smile and the time of day for everyone. However be warned that when she isn’t there the service deteriorates by about 50%. On our final day we invited some people we had met on holiday over for lunch but the owner wasn’t there and the service was really poor, a shame because they probably won’t go back.
The main hotel restaurant is good we ate there 3 times and we were always impressed by the food and the service. Also there is nice view out over the lagoon and during our stay there were some mightily impressive yachts moored there.
We were allowed to stay in our room late on the day of the check out at no extra charge, which was something we appreciated.
Things I didn’t like or could be improved as follows:
The main issue is road noise, if you have a room that is adjacent to the main road. Late at night it sometimes sounds as though this particularly road is being used as a race track. A problem made worse by the fact that I don’t think laws on mufflers / silencers are particularly well enforced on the island. In addition one of our bedroom windows was wooden slats with no glass. The effect is of trying to sleep beside a main road with a window open.
We asked to move rooms to somewhere further away from the road. The response was that they had a “pretty full house” and therefore we had to stay where we were. This was strange as the hotel seemed to be half empty and we heard from other staff and longer term residents that it was very quiet. However full marks to the hotel staff who did get flexi-glass fitted to the window, two days into our stay. This helped, but only a little as road noise intrusion was a feature of our stay.
Big tip, if this is the sort of thing that bothers you make sure you specify an apartment away from the road. Also other reviewers of this hotel have spoken about views of beautiful sunsets. This will only be true if you have a view of the sea. None of the ground floor apartments, like ours, have such a view and many of the 2nd and 3rd floor apartments have their view obstructed. Again if you want a view of the sea, this is something you need to specify.
This was one of the most expensive options we looked at when choosing our vacation. Given the nightly rack rate I was a little disappointed to find a charge of $45.00 for a week’s internet access. Also on arrival being docked $500.00 off my card to cover potential damage to the hotel room was not exactly the Caribbean welcome I was expecting. The $500 is given back after your stay, providing you don’t damage anything.
The hotel restaurant and bar pretty well empties out after about 9.30 and there is no real night life on the complex. We often returned to the hotel bar having been out for dinner and we were the only people there, and sometimes we had the distinct impression that our custom was keeping the bar man from going home. This is not a resort for people wanting a party holiday.
The resort’s main strength is also in many ways its main weakness. It is a sort of Caribbean Disney, where everything is perfect, but you don’t really get a feel for the life of the island.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a chilled relaxing holiday in an upmarket resort, providing they can get a room far away from that bloody road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Port St Charles Resort located on the north western coast of Barbados facing the idyllic aquamarine Caribbean Sea offers beautiful villas and apartments for either a short holiday or if you wished to visit at your convenience, ownership becomes a dream come true. Our luxury homes vary from one bedroom to three bedroom homes located in the 22 acre community, either on the lagoon-front or directly on the beach front. More than just recognized as the premiere Caribbean Marina,Port St Charles Resort offers a luxury lifestyle for home owners, guests on a short holiday or longer stays looking for lagoon view or beach front view to call their own. Our homes are individually furnished with each one having a unique point of view to make your holiday or investment a reality. Our apartment or villa style homes are all fully equipped with the normal luxuries of a high end home while individually decorated to high standards by each home owner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Expedia, LoveHolidays, HotelQuickly, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Port St. Charles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Port St. Charles Hotel Saint Peter
- Port St. Charles Barbados/Saint Peter Parish