“Great food, fantastic service, relaxing grounds and plenty of wildlife - what’s not to love?!”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
England
“Great food, fantastic service, relaxing grounds and plenty of wildlife – what’s not to love?!”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

As soon as you arrive at the Sugar Cane Club you know you’ve made the right choice – you have a friendly member of staff waiting with a drink and a hot towel to greet you after your journey and when you are shown to your room you will find it to be spacious, comfortable and above all, extremely peaceful. The next morning when we went to reception, the staff asked if our room was ok for us, noting that we had made a special request and wanted to check that our room was suitable. This hotel has the best staff of any hotel I have ever stayed in, and I’m sure that there were more staff than guests in the hotel when we stayed there; every single one of them met you with a smile and were always happy to help.

The rooms were large with a separate living/kitchen area, bedroom and balcony (or terrace if you book a garden room). The rooms were really clean and well stocked with so many little extras that add a nice touch – aftersun balm in the bathroom, lavender spray for the pillows, locally made soaps and lotions, matches and candles. The aircon was good. Everything was well kitted out and of good quality – we noticed that the plates etc in the rooms and restaurants were of a well known British made brand too. There is well stocked kitchen so you could self cater if you wish, but we didn’t really use this as we were all inclusive.

Next onto the food. This was the first time we’d ever had an all inclusive holiday, and always imagined it to be an all day buffet, but here it was a little different. Though drinks were included all day (the pineapple juices, punches and cocktails are gorgeous!) meals tended to be at set times. Though breakfast was a serve yourself arrangement there was a good choice, and lunch and evening meal tended to be three courses of waiter service (sometimes by lamp light which was lovely) and there were special barbeque nights. There was a choice of 2 places to eat in the grounds – the main restaurant was where most meals were, but there was also the chattel restaurant. BBQ nights were around the pool. Caribbean Night inparticular was really special. We left the pool area as normal in the afternoon and when we returned for tea a little while later it was set out with tables and lit by torches and lamps with the steel band playing and bbq going. You normally had to let reception know your preferred time of sitting, though they were always accommodating. You normally had to go upstairs to the bar to get a drink, though there is a water dispenser by the pool, and and a pool bar which is open occasionally, but sometimes someone did come round with a tray of drinks whilst you were at the pool which was nice.

Grounds: The grounds to the sugar cane club are extensive and immaculate – there is a nature walk in the grounds which one of the members of staff can take you on. The gardens and pool were always well kept, and staff seemed to be working on the upkeep of the grounds every day. There are plenty of places to sit with benches and loungers dotted about, and there’s also a gazebo where I believe they hold weddings and you can sit in there for some shade. There is so much wildlife in the grounds which is lovely. There are green monkeys, frogs, chickens, lizards and lovely birds everywhere at different times of the day. Also in the grounds there was a spa (you can have a free massage per stay if you like), a gym, gift shop and art gallery.

Activities: We did the nature walk, and there was a choice of things on offer – the turtle trip is a must! This was one of the highlights of the trip for me. There was also a few other activities on offer such as a cooking class, though when we were there it was moved to a day after we’d left as there was a special event on which is a shame as I’d have loved to have done that. There is a green monkey lounge with a book exchange, games, computer with free internet, and lounge areas. This area was useful on the last day after we’d checked out of our room as it gave you somewhere comfortable to wait. (According to our tour operator all inclusive ceased upon room checkout, but the Sugar Cane Club honoured it for the whole of the last day until we left for the airport which we really appreciated as it meant we got a lunch and drinks for this last day). There is a good choice of things to do elsewhere on the island too – we can recommend the jeep safari as this was good fun, and also the Atlantis Submarine and a trip to Bridgetown for some shopping are things we did and enjoyed. Entertainment was the right balance – there was light, local entertainment a few night a week such as singers and steel bands. It was on for a little while whilst you ate and had a drink in the bar, but had usually finished by 9 or 10pm so was not intrusive by the time most people go to bed.

A few things to note: the hotel is quite isolated at night – there were no problems getting around in the day, as the hotel runs a free shuttle bus into the town and to the nearest beach and there is public transport leaving from the town (the Reggae Bus is a load of fun if you can catch that – we caught it back from Bridgetown and it was really cheap too!). This was perfect for us as we prefer somewhere peaceful at night, and don’t mind staying a bit out of the way, but if you prefer there to be loads of bars and nightlife around you, a different resort may be more suitable for you as there isn’t much of this in Speightstown at all. Speightstown has a supermarket, beach and a small selection of shops and places to grab a drink. The beach nearest to the hotel did have a facility where you can get a drink (though looking at some reviews this may have changed since we were there). There is a bit of building work going on near to the beach as they are about to put a new marina in. Due to the climate, heavy rain showers often appeared late afternoon, but they don’t last long.

I can honestly say that this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in – I loved absolutely every minute from start to finish. How this place isn’t a 5 star I do not know – it should be. The guests that were there at the same time of us seemed to be all like-minded people too who were enjoying the peaceful surroundings. Barbados is a beautiful island and has so much to offer. We left feeling completely happy and refreshed. This place is an absolute gem and my only regret was booking a 7 day trip there - I wish we’d have gone for 2 weeks! We hope to return…

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank birdseye77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed at the Sugar Cane in January, 2012, and could not have been more pleased. This is a beautiful, clean resort that is so relaxing. We also had a medical emergency while we were on vacation, and the staff took WONDERFUL care of us. They even followed up with us after we returned home to make sure we were ok. We can't say enough about their kindness. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Toronto / Barbados
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The Sugar Cane Club is a very very nice place to stay. The hotel is just far enough off the main beat to be exclusive, but not so far that it is a problem. Everyone is very professional and thoughtful. I enjoy sitting at the bar which over looks the pool and a great southern view of the island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Sugar Cane. Fabulous hotel, food, staff, surroundings & service. Everything you could think of was provided before you had to ask. Would recommend it to anyone wanting a peaceful, relaxing time. Just a couple of comments firstly the pool bar should be open during the day or a hotline phone up to the hotel. Also the bathrooms could do with updating although they were spotlessly clean.
We echo all the positive comments made by the other reviewers on here.

6 Thank jackie B
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at Sugar Cane club with my OH on an all-inclusive basis.
FOOD
The food was good quality. Breakfast is buffet style and doesn’t change a lot from one day to the next. The buffet is well covered and protected from flies (well, birds mainly!) and is fresh. They offer juice, but it tasted more like squash to me. They will do eggs how you like, but you’ll have to ask.
Evening meals at the main restaurant are served a la carte. The menu didn’t change during our week long stay, but it was quite varied and we had a number of good meals from it. 3 nights a week they have a buffet / themed meal by the pool. The BBQ is particularly good – the pork ribs were absolutely superb. Lighting round the pool is quite dim though, so you can’t really see what you’re eating. The red house wine isn’t bad, and I would normally select an old world wine based on the appellation. I prefer very dry wines, so I didn’t even try the house white. I did have a Semillon-sauvignon which is sold by the glass, and it was a lot more flavoursome than you might expect. This isn’t included in the AI option however.
ROOM
Our villa included a bedroom, sitting room, kitchen and veranda. Ours was a single storey building, but there were others in two and three story buildings and these opened out to the gardens, lacking the privacy of our balcony/veranda area. The sitting room and bedroom were both spacious and cooled by fans. The bedroom also had air con. The kitchen was pretty compact, but seemed well equipped and clean. As we were staying AI, we only used it for making tea. The bathroom was also fairly modest in size, but very nicely decorated – in fact the standard of the décor / maintenance throughout was extremely good. There is a decent hairdryer on the wall with variable power plus a socket for your straighteners (NB, the voltage is not per the UK, so standard UK equipment, like my GHDs won’t work). The shower, which is over the bath, was a little disappointing, being a fixed head and a bit past its best, dribbling out the back. But at least there was a nice glass screen. You only get one bath towel per person plus a titchy hand towel, which is a bit annoying given that, thanks to the fixed shower head, it’s not possible to wash your hair without showering at the same time. Pool towels are provided and changed every other day. I have no objection to my bath towels only being changed every 2-3 days, since they dried quickly, but pool towels inevitably get sun lotion, sweat and who knows what on them, so I feel that they should be changed at least daily.
MAINTENANCE
Overall, very good. The décor was nicely finished and the gardens neatly trimmed. I often saw ground staff cleaning in and round the pool. When we arrived, there was a bulb out in our room and on the veranda. The assistant manager asked if we had any problems on the first day, so we mentioned these. Our bedroom light was fixed the following day and the veranda light the day after. Our safe was a bit wonky and we reported that the low-battery light had come on two days before we left. That didn’t get looked at while we there, but the battery lasted.
GYM
The Gym was very good. It had running machines, cross trainers and a bike, a weight bench, mats, balls and a group of resistance machines. Water and mini towels were provided. Lights and aircon are left off when it isn’t in use. It is available 24 hours.
SPA
OH and I both enjoyed the Green Monkey massage, which was included in our package. I would have liked a body scrub at the start of the week, but it was closed on our first day, and reception was unmanned when we went on the second day. There was a note saying to ask at the shop next door about vouchers. We tried asking if we could book at the shop, but were informed that it would probably be full. The next day was closed due to a funeral. We managed to book our included massage the next day. As we thought it was a good one, we thought we’d try something else from the menu, but of course when we went back, there was no-one around. We called by twice more and when we eventually found someone there, we were informed that they were fully booked to the middle of the following week. Which brings me on to:
SERVICE
I found the standard of service poor. No-one bothered to learn our names – by the end of the week a few had learned our room number, but that is so impersonal. Many of the staff would not smile, would not greet you as you went by and if I asked for something, would act like I was a big trouble to them. The pool bar was frequently unstaffed. On one occasion, after a couple of hours with no-one there, I spotted one of the bar staff taking something out so I jumped out the pool and walked over to ask for a drink. He looked at me blankly and said “it’s closed. The bar upstairs is open”. A couple of times I phoned to make our dinner reservation and the whole conversation was unbelievably painful. The staff member clearly felt that she had far better things to do than deal with my baffling request for dinner. At the end of the call I thanked her and she cut me off without responding. Service in the restaurant is unbelievably slow and yet, inexplicably, they insist on you booking a place in one of two slots, 7pm and 8.30pm. The result is that several people arrive at the same time and you have to wait to be seated. Sometimes you would arrive to find no-one around. Then one person will stroll up - don’t expect a smile, or for them to know your name. You might get a “good evening” if you are lucky, but they are more likely to frown as they consult the booking list, check your room number and then walk to your table. They parrot out the specials, whilst looking either at just one of you and sometimes right over your head. Barbadians are softly-spoken and when the waiter or waitress spoke without facing me I struggled to hear what they were saying. Then you wait again for someone to take a drinks order, wait again for someone to take a food order; it all happens at a snail’s pace. I mentioned that at breakfast they offer different types of eggs. I only discovered this on the final day when I saw someone else with fried eggs and then heard a couple on another table ordering eggs. We were not asked how we wanted our eggs even once and had assumed that you could only have the scrambled eggs which were out with the rest of the buffet.
If you wanted staff attention and walked up to someone, they tended not to look at you, and any eye contact was frequently accompanied with a look of boredom. There were exceptions, thank goodness, but the best was just “fine” and the overall standard was poor. I found this massively disappointing as it would cost nothing to get right. I am not someone who thinks they can treat staff like skivvies. I am always courteous, and whilst I’m not looking to be “matey” with staff, I smile and give them the respect I would expect in their position. On our final day, we received a survey form from the hotel. Our room number was filled in, but the space for our name was left blank. . At the bottom the manager’s name was printed and the space above it for his signature was also blank. (I only saw the assistant manager during the week of our visit, so I think the manager was away); I would have expected the letter to be signed “pp”. That summarised the staff attitude. No-one cared about us, we were just a room number, and no-one was interested in taking responsibility. I expect better, and for this reason, I would not go back.

Room Tip: The bungalows at the bottom of the hill have no rooms above or blow and have a more private (albeit...