All reviews beautiful village one night the owner manager town square basque region historic building overlooked the garden modern amenities big bathroom lovely hotel limited menu family run excellent stay yogurt two nights adjacent shop comfortable bed
Reviewed 26 July 2017

My husband I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights as we explored the Basque region of France. We started each day with a delicious breakfast of breads, fruit, and yogurt (there is an additional but reasonable fee for this--I think you can also add eggs, etc.) And each night we slept well in this quiet location. The garden out back is really lovely to look out on, and the town is small but has a grocery and a couple other restaurants to eat at if desired.

During the day, we found Sare a reasonable distance from Bayonne, Biarritz, St. Jean de Luz, Espilette, and more. We spent one day exploring the other small towns in the mountains, and the other days at the beaches and in Bayonne. We also hiked some of the trails that snake through this region (marked with a blue horse).

We found the owners to be friendly and helpful. One evening I tripped when walking from the car parked around the corner, and I turned my ankle and bruised and skinned my knee. Without me needing to ask, the woman at the front desk noted my distress and offered ice and even arnica to help.

And the cherry cake! Try theirs, either in their restaurant gussied up with creme anglaise, or sold outside to go. We ate a few of this regional speciality while in the area, and we both agreed that theirs was the best we had.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Magnificent old traditional beamed building in centre of village. Entering is like walking into a small Elizabethan Manor house. Decor and furniture in harmony with the building. Our room overlooked the main square with mountain views, large and well furnished. Dinner good standard but limited menu. Family run and husband or wife always present with a guiding hand over everything. Service efficient and helpful. More customer focus detail required. No room fridge, coffee maker, information on air con, instructions on safe, shower mat, searching for breakfast menu and so on. Simplification management philosophy appears to operate that leaves one with the feeling of just that little bit is missing.

Room Tip: High overlooking the square.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2017

A really charming Basque hotel in the centre of Sare. A historic building which has been beautifully and sensitively adapted to modern standards. Our room was very welcoming and fairly spacious with a large bathroom. We would have been very happy to stay longer. The hotel bar was one of the nicest we came across on this trip, and a very nice spot for an apero. Breakfast is also served there, and was excellent. We found our dinner in the restaurant to be very tasty and imaginative and rounded off an excellent stay. I'd be back in a flash.

PS: beware, the adjacent shop owned by the hotel has some very nice quality Basque linen which if you succumb could somewhat increase the cost of your stay!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Very Nice hotel, confortable and charming. The rooms are Very well decorated and cosy. Large bathroom. Very central location. The service was very attentive and polite. The price was a bit high for 1 night without breakfast. But we loved it.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Les Collectionneurs
1  Thank Luisa K
Reviewed 22 May 2017

We stayed just one night, but the accommodations were very nice. Our room had a terrace overlooking a beautiful backyard. The room was beautifully decorated, immaculate with gorgeous linens monogrammed with the letter A. A very comfortable bed in a great space. A small breakfast is included with croissant, yogurt, & coffee. They have a small bar area with some incredible Armagnac's. My boyfriend enjoyed a 20 year old one. They had Armagnac's dating back to 1924, 1942, & 1952. Our host & hostess were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: chambre 12 is lovely
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple