Visited the Santiburi in September 2017 and stayed in a pool villa.
First the positives:
The resort is set in extensive and well maintained gardens/grounds which are a pleasure to walk around. The resort also has direct access to a beautiful beach with great views. The hotel provides many toys etc for kids on the beach, which is a nice touch.
The pool villas are large (with a bed and a large seating area in one room and a large bathroom in another room) and, if you get the right ones, private. Note however that some of the villas seem to have patios which are open to the resort grounds so less private.
There is also a main pool in the resort which is huge and well equipped with children’s toys etc.
The staff are attentive and helpful and always willing to help. Housekeeping are also very good.
The beach front bar and restaurant (The Beach House) is lovely. We really enjoyed sitting and watching the sunset in this restaurant in the evening. The decor is modern and up to date and they had a live jazz player on one of the nights when we stayed.
The negatives are:
The resort is quite old, and it shows in places (for example the front plate of an electric socket fell off into my hands when I tried to plug a phone charger in on the first day of our visit and there was ingrained dirt around the shower and bath in our villa) and the decor in some parts of the hotel (particularly the breakfast room and Thai restaurant) looks very dated.
The food is expensive and the quality of the food is average. We had breakfast in the breakfast room which is near to the lobby - it has no sea view and very little outdoors seating. There was a good selection of food but the quality was not great and not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. The lay out of the breakfast room is also pretty odd. The pastries and cereal etc. are inside the room but you have to go outside to another area for cooked food (omelettes etc). You also have to walk out of the room and across a courtyard to a stall outside of the main swimming pool to get juice. This is not exactly user friendly as it takes about five minutes just to get an orange juice! The floor of the breakfast room also looks pretty old and looked worn with ingrained dirt. Personally I think it would be much better if they moved breakfast so that it was served in The Beach House restaurant so that guests could have breakfast overlooking the sea and have the benefit of more modern furniture and decor.
The food in the Thai restaurant was very good, as was the service. However, as mentioned above the decor was tired and old fashioned. If they fixed this, it would be a great restaurant.
The room service was quick and the staff who brought the food were attentive and helpful. However the quality of food was pretty poor, which was disappointing as it was also expensive.
Overall I felt the Santiburi could do better and wasn’t great value for money.The rates (and cost of food, drink etc.) are the same or slightly higher than other five star hotels I have stayed at in Koh Samui (such as the Sala and Rasananda) but the quality of the resort and food falls well below the standards in those resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Santiburi Beach Resort and Spa is a five star resort and a Member of the Leading Hotels of the World, with 65 villas, 12 Suites and four restaurant outlets, a Royal Thai restaurant, a Beachfront restaurant, a Pool Bar & Restaurant, a Breakfast restaurant and a Lounge Bar. The resort also consists of an Activity center, Water sport center and Santiburi Spa by Bhawa. The Santiburi Beach Resort and Spa is well known in Thailand as a first class Resort with a high level in both standard and in the quality of services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Agoda, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Santiburi Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santiburi Golf Hotel Mae Nam
- Santiburi Golf, Resort And Spa
- Santiburi Resort Koh Samui
- Santiburi Hotel Koh Samui
- Santiburi Koh Samui Ko Samui, Thailand