Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$685
Booking.comUS$519
PricelineUS$519
Orbitz.comUS$524
eDreamsUS$519
Trip.comUS$523
1,461 results
All reviews woo bar w retreat japanese restaurant sweet spot tropical oasis sip bar kitchen table private pool ocean view escape koh samui outdoor shower free ice cream ocean front f b our honeymoon main restaurant the general manager
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 April 2021 via mobile

We needed a few days to escape and unwind, and the W Koh Samui was the perfect choice to rest and relax.
The villas are superb and the resort is located on a private beach with wonderful sunsets. The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Our batteries now fully recharged!Thank you W.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2021

We loved our one night stay at the W hotel. It's a famous hotel because many celebrities lived there also. We love the afternoon tea service and the view of the sea is fabulous. Make sure you go early, otherwise there will be many tourists visiting and make nice pictures alone will be difficult.

Date of stay: May 2020
Reviewed 7 April 2021 via mobile

We visited here in early March. We got the room upgrade to the hillside vila. We get a warm welcoming from every staff; the bell boy, reservation, buggy driver, staff at beach and restaurant. When we visited here still a hard time from Covid19, not too much guest but the hotel and all staff give us the best service in all aspect (food, drink, breakfast, cleanliness, etc.) No limitation due to the low occupancy from tourists. The room, pool and garden are in well maintenance. We love the room, the view from our room, the breakfast (various choices and good portion), the dinner and the sweet spot to treat ourself with the ice-cream. Here from the beach, you can see the sunset, it was a peaceful moment. The hotel provide the life vest, paddle board and some water activity (and there is a hotel staff to help you on this). Everything here was beyond our expectation. We would like to come back here once again. We love W.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2021

We stayed at W Koh Samui during a mattress run to try different hotels including Vana Belle which is also part of Marriott. Overall I was pleased with W and I can recommend it although it’s a very different style than Vana Belle so for people looking for the best option within Marriott I would say it would depend mostly on what people value more. For the beach and dining VB would win, but for the best villas, common areas and drink venues then in my opinion W would be the better choice.

I booked the standard room at W and received an upgrade as Marriott Ambassador Elite guest to the Ocean View Escape Villa on the last row on top of the hill which is in dead end pathway. The villa had great privacy from both sides, in addition I could not see the terrace of our neighbors below us due to the shape of the roof of each villa so in that regard even the guests who are not on top of the hill would be more private than the villas at Conrad where you can see the pool of the villas below you. The advantage of Conrad is that all villas are completely stand-alone with vegetation between them rather than our villa at W which was sharing a wall with a neighbor on one side.

The overall size of the villas at W (even the basic villa) are far bigger than the lower level of rooms at VB so a more balanced comparison would be between the higher room types at both hotels which have sea views. At least for my dates the price premium between the standard room at W and the Ocean View Escape Villa was reasonable so if I had to return in times of high occupancy I might book the Ocean Escape outright because for the money that W is charging I would want to avoid being at the bottom of the resort without views, if upgrades are unlikely.

This being a W brand hotel, the villa itself looked attractive in design and definitely more interesting than the more traditional one at VB which some guests might even find a bit boring. The villa at W was very wide and narrow which maximized the window frontage with sea views from anywhere in the room. There were two showers, one outdoor which interestingly was entirely within the external walls of the villa, but with three glass walls inside, therefore visible from everywhere in the villa. There was also a normal shower indoors, also with a glass door, allowing to have sea views from there as well.

I also liked the angled ceiling shaping up towards the sea which allowed space for a second layer of windows above the sea-facing patio doors which was great. There were hardwood floors throughout and matching walls including a huge sliding panel which could swap between having a working desk and shelves visible (on the left) or the closet open (on the right). There was no mosquito problem whatsoever even in the evening because of the position of the villa on the hill.

The pool was far more than a simple plunge pool – it was very long and swimmable, in fact longer than the one at VB where about one third of it is shallow water so not suitable to swim. The only drawback of the pool at W was similar as at VB: the orientation of the pool was such that most of it was in the shade during the afternoon sun so the water was a bit cool, unlike at Conrad where the terrace and the pool are exposed to the sun all afternoon.

The only maintenance problem I noticed is upon arrival when we turned on air conditioning there was some condensation that starting dripping down from the ceiling in the bathroom. I called reception and they promptly fixed the issue and offered a complimentary bottle of Prosecco without me having complained of anything which was somewhat generous.

Bottom line and all things considered, overall the villa at W was one of the most attractive one we stayed in all the hotels we tried in Samui.

Breakfast was offered at the restaurant / bar near the beach. It was a fantastic spot for breakfast, in fact they temporarily installed some private tables right on the beach that some lucky guests could pick when available.

Regarding the menu it was not that great unfortunately, inferior to other hotels in this price range and it was too western-oriented in my opinion. There were not many protein dishes available and many pieces of chicken were not the best quality so I asked for crab fried rice instead (I saw it offered in the room service menu) which was denied, and another morning I asked if I could have shrimps instead of chicken and they said if they had known in advance they could have accommodated but last minute they could not. So I ended up having just a vegetarian version. They also seemed to run out quickly of other items for example they did not have papaya available every day, which could be excused by the unusual covid situation where they have very few guests in the hotel therefore they must not keep the kitchen very full.

Unfortunately the free flow sparkling wine is a covid casualty at this hotel and it’s no longer available, unlike at VB. When they saw my disappointment they offered me a Mimosa every morning which was a nice gesture but I guess it should not be expected anymore, unless they bring it back once hotel occupancy and room rates go back up.

The daily cocktails at happy hour as Platinum benefit have been replaced by a voucher for a bottle of wine when ordering dinner at one of their restaurants. The Sweet Spots are still available, at times Magnums were not available but during our stay we saw an ice cream truck come to the resort for a delivery and they became widely available after that. It is a nice differentiating feature of W compared to other resorts.

Service was generally good for example staff addressed us by name and remembered our choice of drinks in the morning although it’s an easier task when the hotel is not very full. They also proactively called our next hotel on the day of departure to ask when our room would be ready. That said, there were a few minor issues which made service perhaps not as polished as at Vana Belle for example drink service at the bar took a very long time one evening with nobody coming to serve us until we had to call for a waiter.

The beach has some pros and cons. The overall area is quite large and only accessible from W, which is better than some hotels which must share the beach with passersby. It makes it an ideal location for a beach party at the hotel, which is a good fit for a W. However for swimming guests cannot go very far in the water and must stay in the cordoned off area to avoid interfering with the boat routes.
Up on top of the hill near reception is Woobar which is very popular for pictures, in fact many non-hotel guests came every day to take selfies. That spot is so great that Marriott even uses pictures of it on the website home page on occasion because it’s one of the nicest bars in the Marriott system anywhere, worldwide.

Overall we had a good stay at W and we loved the villa. Unfortunately no hotel is perfect so I wish we could combine W with dining from Vana Belle, but W was good enough that I can recommend it based on individual guest preferences as it has different strengths than other 5-star hotels in Koh Samui like Conrad or Cape Fahn.

Date of stay: February 2021
4  Thank WorldWideTravel88
W Retreat Koh Samui, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2021

Hello Khun WorldWideTravel88 ,

Firstly I would like to thank you for visiting W Koh Samui and for taking the time to share your feedback! I can honestly say that your feedback is so valuable for us. It is in depth of details which we can use for further improvement in the future, Especially comments regard F&B side.

We hope that we could have a chance to welcome you back with a better stay next time around.

All the best,
Tarek Beheiry

Reviewed 25 February 2021

The best part of the hotel is the staffs. The staffs, in every level, are very energetic to engage to the guests. They will make sure you are having a stay of your lifetime, either by encouraging you to join the activities provided by the resort, or mixing you drinks.

The view from Woobar is truly magnificent and iconic.

The little downside part is that the room is somehow dated. It needs a bit renovation due to the age of the resort itself. However, this minor detail is very small compared to the experience gotten from staying at this wonderful property.

Room tip: Stayed at Wow Ocean Haven, which is way too big for 2 people.
Date of stay: February 2021