All reviews fisherman's village bedroom bungalow small road perfect location family bungalow bophut beach individual bungalows bo phut sheets and towels walking street larger pool friday night market pools are lovely really enjoyed our stay here koh samui breakfast was included a stones throw
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My boyfriend and me hired a car and drove round the island and fell in love with bo phut its lovely and less hectic than chaweng and lamai (but a little more expensive for eating out).
We parked up and walked along the main drag and saw how lovely the smile house looked so walked in and asked prices (haggled a bit!) and was shocked to fine out it we could rent a bungalow for £27 a night inc breakfast! We stayed for our last 5nights in samui and it was by far the highlight of our stay.
The staff were incredible so was the breakfast and the location is perfect!

The only con is their prices for min bar etc just stock up your own its less than half the price,also their Internet is expensive (for Thailand) go out the hotel and turn left the is a very cheap place about 2 mins walk!

I can't recommend this enough but suggest you don't book ahead (for anywhere in samui) we did the first 9nights a could of saved £100s if we listened to our friends and got the walk in rate but don't be embarrassed to haggle ask how much for 1 night then ask how much for 4 or 5 the price drops way down!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Smile House for 2 weeks over the Christmas period. When planning the trip I reviewed many hotels in the area and selected The Smile House as a result of a brief visit 2 years previous - we were not dissapointed.

During our last visit we stayed at a 5* resort in Chaweng. We found that Koh Samui has so much to offer out side the hotels that there was no reason, to opt for 5* accomodation and pay 5* prices. Chaweng is extremely busy, hence the reason we opted for the quieter resort of Bophut. At first the resort appeared to be very quiet but once we had settled into the very laid back relaxed atmosphere we had a fantastic holiday.

The Smile house is in a great location, just at the end of the The Fishermans Village. The village contains numerous restaurants which I have to say are amongst the best I have experienced in Thailand. We stayed for 2 weeks and still hadn't tried all the restaurants on our wish list.

Accomodtion at The Smile House is a little dated, but spotlessly clean and we felt that it added to the character of the hotel. Breakfast was great and enjoyed each morning overlooking the beach and views of Koh Phangyan. During our stay a new Spa was opened at the hotel. My wife chose a different treatment on most days and found the staff, and decor to be superb and would highly reccommend the Aloe Vera body massage after a long day laying in the sun. Not to mention the facials, foot scrubs, manicures..........She even talked me into having the treatments on a couple of occasions.

If a more lively night was required, Chaweng was only about 15 minutes by songthaew -£1 per person or £6 by metre taxi.

Also Bophut provides an excellent base to explore some of the other Islands. During our stay we visited Koh Tao, Ko Phangyan and Koh Sum.

What ever your excursion / travel requirements I would highly recommend FISHERMANS VILLAGE TRAVEL AND TOURS - located on the left hand side as you approach the beach road. The boss 'Num' and is wife 'Good' were fantastic and were extremely friendly and flexible to meet out requirements. On 2 occasions we chartered a private speed boat and long tail boat to explore the near by islands.

We had a fantastic holiday and and would highly reccommnd the Smile House. We have already starred to make plans to return this year, which I guess is the best compliment anybody could make.

ENJOY !!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Bophut offers a lovely alternative to Chaweng. Although it's only small, there are upteen good restaurans and bars and Smile Resort is an excellent choice to stay.

Situated right on the beach with a massive pool and sunbathing area, everything you want is on your doorstep.

The rooms are of a good size and very well maintained, there were always staff around maintaining the grounds, garden and pool.

Breakfast was included and was a good buffet selection.

I wouldn't hesitate in returning here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My partner and I were attending a wedding at Anantara resort on Boh Put beach. Smile House was a great option because it was a five minute walk from Anantara and right next to Fisherman's village.

The rate we got was half of what any of our friends were paying at the resorts along that beach, and although their resorts were more modern and had higher star ratings, they seemed quite full and only had one pool.

Smile house on the other hand has two pools and we were most often the only ones swimming. We stayed in a superior room, which was actually a small bungalow surrounded by trees that provided a lot of privacy.

The room itself was well loved and run down, but the air conditioning and bathroom worked just fine, so we were happy!

Breakfast was included and was at a lovely restaurant that overlooked the beach.

We chose to stay at Smile House because of the great reviews it had on Trip Advisor and I would definitely recommend it for a great value holiday.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AmySydChi
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed three nights at Smile House and would definetly go back again. The grounds were impeccably maintained and beautiful. The rooms are in individual bungalows, so very private. They were clean and spacious with good air con. The hotel is located on one side of a small road, with the restaurant and bar right on the beach. The breakfast in the morning was OK, but lacked some Thai food we would have liked. We dined once in the restaurant and the food was good. Service is a bit laid back, but enough for our needs. The beach was OK -- not as good as Chaweng, but certainly good enough -- great sunsets there! Bophut beach is quiet compared to Chaweng -- one of the reasons we picked this area. Decent night life for us older folks and for families (lots of kids around but no bother to us), without being hassled by touts and bar girls.

All in all, a great stay, and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple