“Awesome little property on a beautiful stretch”
Review of Smile House Resort

Smile House Resort
Ranked #46 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Bophut Beach has always been my fav in all of Samui due to the quiet and small little fisherman village feel that it gives you when you are there. Having said that, due to the space constraint of that area, there arent many ok and affordable hotels along that stretch. However, I managed to come across Smile House Resort due to my many rounds of searches in TA. So we decided to give it a try for one night, and will extend if we like our 1st night stay (it's because we have the convenient of my car).

I cannot stress enough how much bophut beach has charmed me, only you can decide if you are there. So let's go to how much the resort has managed to make us extend our stay. 1st of all, it is definitely affordable - USD50 or so for a night on that beach is probably the best bet you can get. And what more can you complain when it is a bungalow you are getting? The room is huge and beds are king sized. Most importantly, it is very clean I would say given the age of the resort. You need to note that this resort is at least 15 years perhaps? If you are expecting modern furnishing resort, then this place is not it. This resort is still mostly aged furniture but they kept it really well. I really need to give them the credit of keeping the place so clean. The pool is also very clean and it is right in front of your room. So what is there to complain right?

Secondly, their restaurant is right on the beach where you get to enjoy your breakfast with the sea breeze! I really loved it. That is my kind of holiday - drinking coffee, having brekkie with the sea wind blowing into your face.

Thirdly, the location! Nothing beats a great location right? Make sure your trip has Friday in it because every Friday night is the night market where you will enjoy all kind of local street food and souvenirs and can also do your lil shopping. This night market is the largest in the island. And it has really good spread of food.

Now comes to the not so great part. The food served in the hotel is not the best I would say. As a resident of the resort, you will enjoy a 15% disc for dinner if you dine in. So I guess prolly the 15% is what will make you eat in there, but I would not go for dinner again if I am there the next round. I wouldnt say bad but there sure is better ones along that stretch.

The breakfast although comes with awesome view, the choices are really not great. On the 2nd morning, I only managed to eat a lil because I was telling my hubby I cant take their food anymore. It is quite stale looking and not many choices. So we ended up only having coffee and perhaps the eggs.

So that's it. If you can forgo food, then this place is THE place you may want to try it out! Step right out of the hotel, you can get indoor with aircond massage places with ocean view. LOVING IT!

Will I ever go back again? Oh yes I will! I can just go next door and have bfast - so no issue!

Room Tip: Go for the bungalow units!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We stayed for a week in 2016 and again this year for 2 weeks but in Room 206 which was a deluxe bungalow. Smile seem to have added fans to most of the balconies/verandahs which is an improvement. We were very pleased with our accommodation which was quiet and private, they seem to keep everything in good condition. Each bungalow was shielded from the next by tropical vegetation. As other reviewers have commented Smile is located in the middle of the Fisherman's Village and walking street with their restaurant over the road by the beach. We enjoyed our breakfasts but ate elsewhere in the evening. Another couple moved from a larger and more expensive resort on the main Bophut to Nathorn road noting this was much nicer, cheaper and more private. Wifi reception in our room was excellent but perhaps less so at the far end of the property. If you need in house massages and gym rooms this is not your place. There were a number of guests who seem to have stayed here many times.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at Smile House. The bungalows are comfortable, the pool and gardens are amazing and the staff are very helpful. I am travelling alone so it is important to feel safe and happy - which I do at Smile. I will always return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Comfortable,cheap,great location on walking st by the beach, bars restaurants and shops all close by and markets at the front door, clean, good service.
Only negative for us was pool closes 7:00 pm and workers on renovations started 7:30 am other than that all good.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

This resort is located smack bang in the middle of the Main Street of the Fishermans Village! Prime location for the Friday night markets, shopping and food!
The resort itself is nice with 2 pools and a very tropical, jungle vibe.
However we found that the services provided, for what we paid, left a lot to be desired. The bungalow we had got NO wifi reception, when other people clearly had reception at their rooms. We had to go to the pool or restaurant if we needed wifi. The bungalow was neat and clean but lacked a phone and any info regarding the resort, and attractions around the area.
Housekeeping was ok but missed simple things like taking away room service plates etc.
To get room service, you need to walk to the restaurant and order.
The back pool was beautiful, however it was so chlorinated that it stung the kids eyes!

These are minor gripes, but things that they could definitely improve on. All the service staff were friendly, and I'd definitely stay again in the future.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family