Lowest prices for your stay
Reserve now, pay at stay
Reserve now, pay at stay
Expedia.comUS$617
PricelineUS$617
eDreamsUS$617
All reviews heaven on earth yoga classes each meal healthy food costa rica cooking class per day day pass slice of heaven turn down service soups an excursion head chef pool and jacuzzi morning hike every staff member real highlight
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 February 2021

To all the team at TR!

I just wanted to express my profound gratitude to all of you for taking such good care of me during my stay. From the kitchen stuff ,front desk ,spa and everyone in between :) it felt like home from day one. My juicing detox program wouldn't have been possible without your care and attention. Once again thank you so much!

Eyali spreen
Miami Fl
USA

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Bryant Angulo Herrera, Director General at The Retreat Costa Rica - Wellness Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2021

Dear Eyal, it was our pleasure to provide you with our services and we are delighted to know that your experience with our detox program was to your liking.
All the team sends you regards and we hope to see you next time.

Reviewed 4 January 2021 via mobile

I’m almost hesitant to write this review bc I don’t want the world to know about this heavenly place. From the moment you enter the retreat you can feel the energy how special this place is.
Location: so close to sjo airport making it easy to get to.
Rooms/hotel: this place is filled with beautiful details. It sits on a crystal quartz mt and the hotel is filled with crystals, beautiful facilities, clean, detail oriented and feng shue. We stayed in morninga and had a beautiful mountain and water view
Spa: gorgeous brand new spa with amazing treatments and specials. We got a 90 min deep tissue massage & it was amazing
There’s a good size gym with tons of equipment and even a rebounder with k same views
Private meditation deck is key
Tons of pool areas private and more central
Morning hike: so fun and they offer a few different trails and levels. I highly recommend going on at least one
Yoga: The restorative evening yoga was great and so relaxing
Food: my lordddddd this was everything!!! Do NOT be deterred by a health retreat. The food here is unlike anything I’ve experienced. They grow all their fruits and veg on the farm on site. There’s no menu and each meal is a work of art. The chefs are so fun and friendly and you will not go hungry. They offer protein at breakfast and dinner (I always got fish and eggs and was so fresh and delicious) there’s also alcohol and amazing organic biodynamic wine and cocktails

This place truly feels like you’re at home in a gorgeous location with very special people. The owner Diana was there the whole time and all I can say is bravo on this gem! She made us feel so at home and like family. You can feel the love and attention she put into this resort the moment you enter.
If you’re looking for a relaxing, luxurious, special, delicious, rejuvenating vacation this is your place and book now before the world finds out :)
We’ll be returning here very soon!

Date of stay: January 2021
1  Thank sachag480
Diana Stobo, Owner at The Retreat Costa Rica - Wellness Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2021

We are so lucky to host the most gracious and loving guests.
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review.
We can't wait for your return visit.

Much Love and gratitude,

Reviewed 29 December 2020

My husband and I recently stayed here for 5 nights. It was a splurge for us, but definitely worth it! It was a slice of heaven and met/exceeded all my expectations (which are always very high)!
We planned to stay at the resort the whole time and not leave - just some R&R, tranquility and delicious, healthy food. Some people could be bored (if you like a lot of activity and exploring), but it is what we signed up for and the time actually went quickly. I did yoga twice a day and my husband did the morning hike each day. We relaxed by the pool, enjoyed the spa facilities and went to the open air dining room for 3 meals. It all flowed well and we were very relaxed, yet the time went by fast.
My husband went to appease me but he ended up very fulfilled with the trip and enjoyed every aspect. He is a meat eater and not very "health conscious" the way I am with food and he absolutely loved everything and was very impressed (and we never went hungry). And they do offer animal protein with dinner, if interested (I had fish). They even had an IPA beer which is is favorite type (though they ran out on his last day because they have limited supplies until the distributor comes back; but that's OK because there were other options). They have wine and cocktails as well, if interested.
The grounds were very beautiful and zen. It was obvious that a lot of thought went into the design. The staff were very friendly and helpful; communication via email or phone in advance of our trip was professional and efficient which was refreshing compared to some other int'I destinations I have had challenges with in the past.
Another benefit that appealed to us is that it is within a 1-hour drive from SJO airport so it was convenient to get to (they offer transport) yet it felt very far away once we were there.
Just a tip about the rooms, I think some have AC (wall units) and others don't. If that is important to you, you can inquire and I'm sure they will tell you. We changed rooms once we arrived because they were at a low capacity and could accommodate. The room we ended up with was Maca and we really liked it because there was a couch/ sitting area and space to move around and put our stuff - and a nice private balcony. There was no AC which we were concerned about because my husband runs hot, but it ended up being OK with just the ceiling fan and cool air from outside (windows open). We were fine.
Bath products and hand soap were very nice - very light lavender scent - no artificial fragrance added which is a big deal for me because I am allergic and usually cannot use hotel or public soaps at all (I bring my own sanitizer/soap). It was so nice to be able to use all their amenities!
I could go on and on about it. I highly recommend it and am spreading the word. We miss it already and hope to come back soon!

Date of stay: December 2020
Bryant Angulo Herrera, Director General at The Retreat Costa Rica - Wellness Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2020

Hello Dear, thank you for your comment, For us is very important and we appreciate each word that you wrote.
Our Staff and I, are very happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation and experience with us.
We hope can receive you soon.

Happy New year and we hope that 2021 will come with a lot of positive energy and health.

Blessings!

Reviewed 7 December 2020

I recently stayed at The Retreat Costa Rica Wellness Resort & Spa. It is a beautiful property located in Atenas. It sits on a crystal quartz mountain with beautiful views surrounding. The staff is excellent and the food is to die for. Everything is gluten-free and non-inflammatory. The chef creates masterpieces daily and I loved everything he made. There is a wonderful organic garden from which they get most of their ingredients. I had a wonderful massage at the spa, read around the pool & did some hikes. Gazing out over the rainforest from my balcony was just lovely. I definitely recommend The Retreat!

Date of stay: November 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank krickels
Diana Stobo, Owner at The Retreat Costa Rica - Wellness Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2020

Thank you for your lovely review, we loved having you and look forward to your return visit.
Much gratitude,

Reviewed 30 November 2020 via mobile

I recently stayed for 8 nights at the Retreat and had an amazing time. My intention was to get away from daily distractions for a 7 day online meditation retreat and a reset. After extensive research, I chose The Retreat because it is boutique and the setting looked perfect. Costa Rica is also allowing US visitors as of November. When I arrived, my jaw dropped. My room was gorgeous and I had a view that was even better than the photos. Some of the highlights included:

- Yoga. The yoga teachers at The Retreat are some of the best I’ve encountered. The Retreat believes in hiring local and they have two phenomenal local yoga teachers, Wendy and Rebecca. They have both studied extensively with teachers around the world, including in Mysore, and returned home to teach. I learned an incredible amount from the two of them and restarted a dormant Ashtanga practice under their tutelage. By the end of our 8 days together, I started crying because my body felt stronger and I saw so much improvement over our week together. I leave with a heart full of gratitude in meeting such amazing and inspirational Costa Rican female yoga teachers. They also incorporated indigenous and local practices to the restorative yoga classes in the afternoons which I appreciated.

- Nature. Each morning, I woke up to hummingbirds outside my window, and several other jungle birds. On my walk to yoga and breakfast each morning, toucans greeted me on the meditation deck and I saw several other animals unique to the cloud forest environment. Being surrounded by such a beautiful environment felt healing and rejuvenating to the soul.

- Food. Each meal looked and tasted like a work of art. The chefs make everything from scratch and most of the ingredients are from the farm on-site. They take seriously the farm to table concept and each dish is a recipe created by Diane Stobo and the chefs. I took a cooking class with the head chef, Sergio, and was blown away by how healthy the dishes are. I thought our evening soups were full of coconut milk because they were so creamy but I found out they are not. Their amazing turn-down cookies have just 6 ingredients as well. Their techniques for making dishes healthy and delicious wowed me. Sergio said guests can request what they would like to learn in the cooking classes (within reason :))

- Spa. They recently finished the construction of a gorgeous new spa building this year. I used the hot and cold plunge pools daily, as well as the sauna. The massages by Katia were outstanding. Her deep tissue was one of the best massages I’ve had. She has a mind, body, breath connection that is one of a master masseuse. Her breath is synchronized with each massage stroke and what was even rarer was that I could actually feel her intention of love and service through the massage. Afterwards, I told Katia she should be a teacher. She is a master in her craft.

- Staff. The staff are wonderful at The Retreat. They seem to genuinely enjoy working with one another and it shows through the general vibe. Diane has assembled a stellar team including Sergio, the head chef, whom she scooped up from the Four Seasons, and Christopher, one of the waiters, who was recently the sommelier at one of the best hotels in San Jose. These are just a few backgrounds I was able to glean from dinner conversations. I can’t imagine the experience of the rest of the staff. I told Sergio that I’ll be first in line to buy any cookbook he publishes with Diane. I also had a few recommendations for management and they were incredibly gracious and open. The operations manager, Sheryz, even created a special ceremony for me on my last day which blew me away.

Thank you so much to everyone at The Retreat. My 8 days was transformative in body, mind and spirit. I return to the US much healthier, with a renewed Ashtanga yoga practice, and many amazing memories (and pictures) of the beauty and love that surround your special place.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you for this lovely and generous review with all the details. We are so happy that you came to spend time with us and certainly hope you come again. I am very proud of my staff, I'm honored that you were able to feel the love they emit each day. They truly care about each and every guest that stays with us.
Much love and gratitude,