“Good hotel, but disappointed with the food and main restaurant”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Kiotari
Reviewed 19 October 2017

We have just come back from a fortnight's stay at Rodos Princess with our 7 year old Daughter and 15 month old son. I'll start with the positives.

The hotel is immaculate. Not only was our room cleaned to a very high standard every day but the hotel grounds are spotless. The pools are great, albeit a tad cold in October! Great water slides for kids (and adults), with a lifeguard on duty, something you don't often see. We did find some sunbeds were reserved with towels and no-one used them, but we always found a space. Beach is lovely too, with free sunbeds and the beach bar closeby. Nice and shallow close in for the children and lots of fish to see, if you like snorkelling.

Kids club - we did use it a few times and the girls are great, but my Daughter found it quite difficult to understand them, as she was the only English child at the time, so they had to translate everything for her. They have a club disco every night at 9, which all the kids loved. Even learnt some German tunes! I can't comment on the evening entertainment, as I had to go back to the room with our Son, but my Husband said some evenings were good, others pretty dire.

Staff are very accommodating. Camelia on the pool bar is a force to be reckoned with. She seems to be at work all day and night and remembers everyone's orders. The beach bar and pool snack bar food was good, selections of salads and meats, gyros, burgers, etc. Ice cream is available all day and evening, which my children took full advantage of. They also do pizzas in the afternoon, which prove extremely popular. Despite previous reviews, we found the drinks quality to be perfectly acceptable. They don't include international spirits on the all inclusive package, but local brands are fine, even the wine. The waiters even had carafes waiting for us after evening meal to take back to our room, which was a nice touch.

Now for the not so positives:

The main Dionysos restaurant is horrifically busy at all times. We found both breakfast and evening meals very stressful. The tables are pushed very close together and you are constantly being knocked into by fellow guests going up to get their food. My Son was pushed out of his highchair at one point, prompting me to move tables, much to the disgust of our waitress. Having been all inclusive with our family previously, it's the first time we've experienced such a bun fight to get dinner. I think the hotel would be well advised to increase the size of the dining room and space the tables better, to make the eating experience more enjoyable. As for the food, we were quite disappointed. I am aware that there is a need to cater for all Nationalities, but the food seemed to be very bland. I came home half a stone lighter, although that is a good thing! We are not fussy eaters at all, and hate to see food got to waste, but most evenings the food looked appetising, but did not taste great , so much was left. There is a children's section, mainly consisting of pasta Bolognese, nuggets, frankfurters and nuggets. On a plus, the desserts were super. Breakfast is pretty much the same every morning with hot and cold choices and yoghurts, breads, pasties etc. There is an egg and pancake station, but the queue was huge every morning. The restaurant is open for lunch and we did find it much less busy. Be warned, at all mealtimes, there are several people that don't like to wait their turn for food in a queue.

The only other negative point is we were a bit disappointed with our room. We paid for a sea view family room. It was divided into two parts and was very small. Made even more so by Son's cot being squashed between the two single beds, so there was no room for my Daughter to get out of bed. We had to put one of the single beds on it's side to make room. That said, how much time do you spend in your room anyway, unless asleep. Bathroom was spacious though with a big bath, shower, two sinks and vanity mirror. Plenty of storage too. We didn't switch the TV on, so can't comment.

Outside of the hotel there is not a huge amount to do, which we liked. We took the hour long road train trip, which is well worth it. There are a few souvenir shops and small supermarkets nearby, plus a pharmacy, which we had to use during our stay and they are great. We hired a car for three days from Marathon, costing £80 for a small family car. The car rental chap was great in pointing out free car parking and places of interest. We drove to Rhodes Town and Lindos, as well as Prasonnissi and Tsambikki beach. Monolithos castle is worth a visit for the views alone, although not for the fainthearted.

Just a word of warning, Rhodes Airport is a nightmare. It was total chaos checking our luggage in and getting through passport control. The whole process took almost two hours, which is not great with two children. One more thing, we booked our holiday via First Choice, part of the Tui Group. We didn't see our rep for the whole two weeks and had to ask at hotel reception about departure details, as we'd not been advised.

All in all, we had a lovely holiday here. If the food and restaurant situation could be improved, this would definitely be five stars, but we did enjoy ourselves.

Room Tip: The pool rooms look nice, but are pricey
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank victoria p
HHotels, Marketing & Communications Department at Rodos Princess Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and for staying with us.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and our friendly staff.
Please be assured that your comments raised regarding the food will help us to correct these issues moving forward, providing our guests the best holiday experience.
Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Rodos Princess Beach Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Just returned from a 1 week break with my partner and we loved it.
Hotel is beautiful and kept very clean. The personal (inclusive) mini bar is stocked every other day with was a nice touch. Rooms are lovely and the views are AMAZING. I miss it already!
The entertainment staff work exceptionally hard all day and night, I don't know how they do it!
The food was great, although maybe not so great for fussy eaters (like my partner), maybe some more variety of basic foods would be good? Regardless, we always left the restaurant full and if we ever missed a meal there was the option of the beach bar and pool bar. I have to mention the lady who works in the pool restaurant (sorry I don't know her name- short, red hair) who works so hard and is always trying her best to make sure everyone is happy!
The rest of the staff were also great, the guys who worked in the Apollo bar were so friendly and remembered our orders after the first night which I thought was really impressive as there were so many people at the hotel!
The only time I felt a little disappointed was at check out as the lady on reception just handed us our receipt for the week (you can pay for better wifi) and then moved onto the couple next to us. We weren't sure where to keep our luggage or if we could still use the facilities until our transfer arrived but another guest helped us out. But this was the only exception to the otherwise friendly, helpful staff.
You get a complimentary massage on arrival that you can book in for. I didn't use this as I booked in for another treatment separately but I think this is very generous. The spa is also lovely!
There was never a struggle for a sunbed, even if we arrived at the pool late. The water was freezing but loved the pool! The sea was clear, I could see little fish as I stood in the water! The beach extends a lot further than it appears which is a nice walk.
I think we only spoke to two other couples the whole week who were from the UK, so we were definitely the minority. This wasn't really an issue for us but it did mean the night time entertainment (that we saw) was predominantly German. We spent our nights at the Apollo bar or pool bar which suited us fine!
Overall we loved our stay here and would definitely recommend!

On a side note (nothing to do with the hotel): It is a very quiet area with not a lot to do nearby the hotel, but as we were all inclusive we never intended to go out for meals/drinks often so this didn't concern us. There is an hourly train ride that takes you around the area for an hour for 5 euro per adult which was a nice tour of the beaches, but if you were looking to venture further please note that the tours we found in the local excursion centre (2 minute walk down the road) only took place 2 days a week so plan ahead. Alternatively there is a bus service right outside the hotel.
Also our transfer took 2 hours from the airport as we were the last stop so if I were to return I would book a private transfer.
We were nervous of the weather this late in the year but it only rained once (on the day we were leaving!) every other day it was sunny mid-high 20's.

Room Tip: Sea view... don't miss out on those views!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

we have just come back from our holiday stay here and I have had a lovely time the hotel is kept really clean the staff are so friendly and the entertainment was amazing! our kids absolutely loved kids club the guys work so hard to make sure everyone is pleased, the beach bar is a fab idea right on the beach has everything you need close toilets food and drinks with showers etc, the mini golf was good too kids loved it, although I've gave this rating a 4 star it would of been a 5 for me but I felt there were a few things that maybe was needed to make it better, the kids pool were the slides are needs a drinks bar as the closest one is back to the main pool the pool water is absolutely freezing so most days my kids would only stay init for 5 minutes there needs to be more toilet facilities as when kids club was shut the nearest one was the stage toilets and when you have an infant potty training it's hard to get there quick enough, the food was good but could be better if there was themed nights rather than the same thing most nights and more variaty of kids food in the mains restaurant would be better too as my kids had no choice but to eat bread and chips for tea most nights over all apart from those small issues it's a brilliant hotel and would defo recommend.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca W
HHotels, Marketing & Communications Department at Rodos Princess Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Rebecca W,

Thank you for taking the time to review and for choosing Rodos Princess Beach Hotel.
We are delighted that you generally enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to let us know.
We would like to assure you that we will keep working hard to develop and improve our services, taking into account any proposals-reviews and feedback from our guests. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Just returned from an amazing holiday at this wonderful hotel ....beautiful room with a lovely sea view.....food was nice with a good selection ....but the hotel is only as good as its staff....and they are all truly brilliant ...professional and friendly .....also a big shout out to the animation team who gave 100% all the time ......fantastic hotel......but it would be even better with tea/coffee facilities in all rooms and a couple more professional acts in the evening as the hotel is quite remote .....but we loved it and will definitely return x

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue_medland
Reviewed 5 October 2017

What can I say but WOW WOW WOW the Rodos Princess beach hotel is FANTASTIC, we booked for our 30th wedding anniversary Sept 22nd to 29th, we arrived at 11.30pm and the receptionist was excellent checked us in and organised food, we were told our room number and a porter took our cases, the room was immaculate, the bed was very comfy, the mini bar was stocked regularly, and in the morning well the sea view was AMAZING. The food as excellent lots to choose from to suit everyone's palate, the restaurant staff where very friendly and helpful, the bar staff equally as friendly. The swimming pools clean tidy, plenty of sunbeds. The animation team were superb very funny especially Marco, they put on shows in the evening and activities during the day, they were also on hand at night chatting to people. Definitely booking next year and bringing the family. Plus the room had a safe so we new our valuables where safe at all times

Room Tip: Always ask for a sea view room the views and sunsets are amazing
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay at the Rodos Princess Beach Hotel.
We are so delighted thatyou chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us. We hope to have you back in the near future and take part in more of your life's celebrations and milestones.

Rodos Princess Beach Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiotari
5.5 km away
45.6 km away
Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
#12 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to Rodos Princess Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!