Having read all the reviews of the La Palma Princess hotel I was looking forward to my holiday with my family. We travelled on the 10th - 17th Feb with 5 adults and two small children (4yr and 2yr).
I was slightly worried about the coach journey to the hotel as everyone said it was very windy, yes true it is but I tried to sleep most of the way there due to a very early start in the morning. However, the views are beautiful, definitely sit on the left going there for a fab view of the sea and (eventually) the hotel!
Check in at reception was efficient and prompt seeing as three coaches of people were arriving, they offer express service for families although we didnt use this as most of the people were quite quick! We had two rooms which joined together which my niece and nephew loved! However, when booking with Thomson I stressed that we had three adults in one room, two adults and two children in another. I was assured that the children would have twin beds and all adults would have their own beds which were very spacious. Not the case, we were given a sofa bed for the kids - ever put two small children in the same bed!! and a single bed for one adult. We managed to build our own beds of mattresses on the floor (even though my brothers had blood on one side ) and eventually we all got some sleep during the week!
The rooms were clean and fine for the week (except the beds!), bathroom was lovely and cleaned daily - shower was fab although very powerful for children but provided a bath as well! Lots of towels!
We stayed in block 6 which had views of palm trees and the grounds, wasnt prepared to pay for a sea view when we werent in the room enough. Close enough to main hotel but far enough from any noise!
Pools - my goodness! When people said they were cold, they werent joking. What a shame. 9 beautiful pools you couldnt use (unless you were brave enough!) the kids pool and pool next to the bar were apparently heated which were still too cold, my 2yr old nephew refused to go in as too cold for him (dont blame him!) One family complained to the staff and the next day they were warmer, shame they dont have them hotter in the first place!
Food - really good amount of food and generally a lot of healthy dishes and a good selection, Being vegetarian I always struggle with food at these places but was very pleased. However, I agree with the comments from other people about the dining service. Big plastic sign saying all inclusive, no waiter service for drinks and generally I felt like I was at a Butlins when people were walking round collecting there food. Shame they didnt open the other restaurants as well. As for the pizzeria, fine if you want a pizza or chips but a vegetarian sandwich was two pieces of toast with a piece of lettuce, half a tomato and a piece of pepper - exciting!!
Drinks - again same as other people about brand drinks. Not that this bothered me as much as the wine was good and I happily tried the other drinks, hazelnut liquer was very nice too! Shame the cocktails for all inclusive was so limited and totally agree about the coffee. Powdered milk from a machine yet if you pay you get a decent latte - not very impressed!
Entertainment - definitely go and see the Three Tenors. Really good, made it good fun and enjoyable (shame about the drunk couple in front of us who wouldnt be quiet!!) The other acts were rubbish to be honest. The brazilian dance act werent too bad however as others have said for a 5* hotel, could be a lot better
Spa - lovely treatments at a good cost, we treated my Mum on her bday to a pedicure and manicure which came to 40euros but she had a massage given as well. Spa itself with all the pools could have been hotter though.
Generally, we had a good week away as our main reason for going was to celebrate my Mum's birthday however I do have one or two main complaints which havent been said on here before and if I had read about them before I dont think we would have gone.
The pool tiles around the whole of pool areas are dangerously slippery when wet. So many children were falling over and hitting heads, my 2 yr old nephew slipped the day we arrived and smacked his head on the sun lounger with a massive bruise on his cheek. When I complained to the rep he said he would address it with the management but when I asked a couple of days later they had no idea what I was talking about so clearly he hadnt passed this on. To all those parents travelling with children, be warned. Every parent there was complaining about the floor and my sister stayed on edge all week because of this. We spent more time by the beach pool so that he wouldnt fall over - with the pools so cold there isnt a lot to do with children during the day!
My second complaint is the kids club. Please please be warned that although the kids club has two members of staff there, they will happily let the children wonder out on their own. The club is right next to the pool as well so should they slip on the wet floor on their own, well I dont need to say more. We didnt use the club as much as some parents as my niece was happy to play with us but whilst we were by the pool another girl we knew appeared wondering where her parents were who assumed she was safe in the club. Please stay near by if using the mini club.
Generally the hotel, some of the staff and the location was very relaxing. If we hadnt been going with two children, as adults I would have been quite happy here although possibly go later for hotter weather!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star hotel with its gigantic pool area is located in the sunny south-west of La Palma. Above the sea surrounded by banana plantations, the La Palma & Teneguia Princess is a paradise for those seeking tranquility. The layout of the resort resembles a small canarian village. 625 rooms are spread over several buildings, nestled within tropical gardens. Most of the rooms provide amazing sea or garden or pool views. Hotel guests may choose between 11 outdoor pools - including a pool with an artificial beach, a kids pool and an adults-only pool in the nudist area. Relaxation also plays a very important role at the La Palma & Teneguía Princess. Its SPA Aqua Princess offers on 700 m2 a jacuzzi, saunas, vichy showers and hydro-waterbeds. At a total of 5 restaurants (one of them opened seasonally), guests can enjoy hot and cold dishes from the buffet, themed evenings, à la carte meals, snacks or a tasting menu. To burn off those extra calories guests can play tennis, mini golf, use the gym or participate in the sports programme of the animation team. Romantic evenings are included: The La Palma & Teneguía Princess is perfect for sunset lovers and passionate stargazers. It's for a good reason the Isla Bonita has been chosen the world's first ,,Starlight Reserve". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TravelUp, HotelQuickly and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess Hotel Fuencaliente De La Palma
- La Palma Princess And Teneguia Princess
- La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess Fuencaliente De La Palma