“Very slippery pool floors :(”

La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Very slippery pool floors :(”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Having read all the reviews of the La Palma Princess hotel I was looking forward to my holiday with my family. We travelled on the 10th - 17th Feb with 5 adults and two small children (4yr and 2yr).

I was slightly worried about the coach journey to the hotel as everyone said it was very windy, yes true it is but I tried to sleep most of the way there due to a very early start in the morning. However, the views are beautiful, definitely sit on the left going there for a fab view of the sea and (eventually) the hotel!

Check in at reception was efficient and prompt seeing as three coaches of people were arriving, they offer express service for families although we didnt use this as most of the people were quite quick! We had two rooms which joined together which my niece and nephew loved! However, when booking with Thomson I stressed that we had three adults in one room, two adults and two children in another. I was assured that the children would have twin beds and all adults would have their own beds which were very spacious. Not the case, we were given a sofa bed for the kids - ever put two small children in the same bed!! and a single bed for one adult. We managed to build our own beds of mattresses on the floor (even though my brothers had blood on one side ) and eventually we all got some sleep during the week!
The rooms were clean and fine for the week (except the beds!), bathroom was lovely and cleaned daily - shower was fab although very powerful for children but provided a bath as well! Lots of towels!

We stayed in block 6 which had views of palm trees and the grounds, wasnt prepared to pay for a sea view when we werent in the room enough. Close enough to main hotel but far enough from any noise!

Pools - my goodness! When people said they were cold, they werent joking. What a shame. 9 beautiful pools you couldnt use (unless you were brave enough!) the kids pool and pool next to the bar were apparently heated which were still too cold, my 2yr old nephew refused to go in as too cold for him (dont blame him!) One family complained to the staff and the next day they were warmer, shame they dont have them hotter in the first place!

Food - really good amount of food and generally a lot of healthy dishes and a good selection, Being vegetarian I always struggle with food at these places but was very pleased. However, I agree with the comments from other people about the dining service. Big plastic sign saying all inclusive, no waiter service for drinks and generally I felt like I was at a Butlins when people were walking round collecting there food. Shame they didnt open the other restaurants as well. As for the pizzeria, fine if you want a pizza or chips but a vegetarian sandwich was two pieces of toast with a piece of lettuce, half a tomato and a piece of pepper - exciting!!

Drinks - again same as other people about brand drinks. Not that this bothered me as much as the wine was good and I happily tried the other drinks, hazelnut liquer was very nice too! Shame the cocktails for all inclusive was so limited and totally agree about the coffee. Powdered milk from a machine yet if you pay you get a decent latte - not very impressed!

Entertainment - definitely go and see the Three Tenors. Really good, made it good fun and enjoyable (shame about the drunk couple in front of us who wouldnt be quiet!!) The other acts were rubbish to be honest. The brazilian dance act werent too bad however as others have said for a 5* hotel, could be a lot better

Spa - lovely treatments at a good cost, we treated my Mum on her bday to a pedicure and manicure which came to 40euros but she had a massage given as well. Spa itself with all the pools could have been hotter though.

Generally, we had a good week away as our main reason for going was to celebrate my Mum's birthday however I do have one or two main complaints which havent been said on here before and if I had read about them before I dont think we would have gone.

The pool tiles around the whole of pool areas are dangerously slippery when wet. So many children were falling over and hitting heads, my 2 yr old nephew slipped the day we arrived and smacked his head on the sun lounger with a massive bruise on his cheek. When I complained to the rep he said he would address it with the management but when I asked a couple of days later they had no idea what I was talking about so clearly he hadnt passed this on. To all those parents travelling with children, be warned. Every parent there was complaining about the floor and my sister stayed on edge all week because of this. We spent more time by the beach pool so that he wouldnt fall over - with the pools so cold there isnt a lot to do with children during the day!

My second complaint is the kids club. Please please be warned that although the kids club has two members of staff there, they will happily let the children wonder out on their own. The club is right next to the pool as well so should they slip on the wet floor on their own, well I dont need to say more. We didnt use the club as much as some parents as my niece was happy to play with us but whilst we were by the pool another girl we knew appeared wondering where her parents were who assumed she was safe in the club. Please stay near by if using the mini club.

Generally the hotel, some of the staff and the location was very relaxing. If we hadnt been going with two children, as adults I would have been quite happy here although possibly go later for hotter weather!!

Room Tip: Block 6 was a good location if not paying for a sea view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank emgunn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
MILTON KEYNES
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked a week here as we felt we needed a week of relaxation without spending too much. This hotel appealed as it is remote which we like and very good value. However, as the day of departure got closer we did panic as we wondered if good value may result in a bad experience. We were very pleased with our holiday. The food was varied, the wine and beer very drinkable, the staff were very friendly and overall we had a lovely time.

Unfortunately the 2 tier system made us feel at times like second class citizens. Surely all inclusive means you have simply paid for your lunch and drinks in advance? Why then should we have to sit on the less comfortable chairs in the dining room or drink inferior drinks? Surely if the charge is not sufficient to include decent coffee or orange juice they should charge a little more? I don't think it would cost much more to offer the same coffee to all clients. I was very happy to have the non branded drinks but I really did not like the coffee and the orange was not juice, it tasted like strong squash. We liked sitting on the terrace for our dinner which seemed to be available to all guests, as the dining room for all inclusive did not appeal to me at all. Too bright and the chairs looked uncompfortable, the other side looked far nicer.

Heated pool was freezing. Room was comfortable but very outdated, the entire complex is in danger of becoming scruffy but is very attractive - I just hope enough money is spent on maintenance as it is a very large complex. The food was obviously produced to a budget but the hotel managed to put out a good selection at every meal time. For the money we paid we did not expect fresh prawns or salmon.The late breakfast was lovely as it came with a great sea view. We both enjoy outside eating so we were very happy that this was available. A few guests seemed to want to put their starter and main course on one plate which was piled high, but most guests seemed keen to have a pleasant and relaxing meal.

To conclude this is a good value hotel in a great position; if like us you enjoy being remote. But in order to continue attracting the clientel that this island deserves the hotel needs to keep up the quality and standards and drop the 2 tier system.Either everyone should be AI - then no need of the horrid bands - or go back to being a half board hotel.

For what we paid this hotel was very good and we had a really lovely break. It was far better than we feared and we would return tomorrow if we could. If you are looking for a no frills hotel and you enjoy being on a lovely unspoilt Island than this could be your ideal hotel.

Room Tip: We wanted a sea view and had to upgrade to a suite, but apparently if you wait until you arrive you...
Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TERRYANDSHARON
lancashire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

my wife and i spent a week at the la palma princess 10th feb to 17th feb 2012 booked with first choice/thomson.the hotel buildings/pools and grounds are very good. didnt use the pools due to the weather (cant help that). the hotel is out of the way but we knew that. what we didnt know was the following. the entertainment was rubbish to say that this is classed as a 5* platinum hotel we had the following.of the 7 nights of entertainment you got 6 nights of assorted dancing the only dance they didnt do was, dances with wolves. the only good night was when the 3 tenors performed(not the real ones). you had 1 hour of so called entetainment per night. and due to the location of the hotel you could not go anywhere else. so you would think that the entertainment would be a lot better.
then you had the happy rep (jay)who comes over good at first until you ask for something. my wife has a food allergy i asked who do i inform? leave it to me he said. its a good job i checked as he did not inform anyone, mind you i did inform the receiption but we ended up sorting it out ourselves.then you dont see him for 3 days. now onto the staff. rude, ignorant, unprofessional. if you are not all inclusive then you have a chance of a getting served quick (due to the tip) the only staff worth a mention are Mr Alfonse (the egg man) the german lady who runs the piano bar, and the spannish lady at the pool bar. we would never go back to this hotel again and will be sending a complaint into first choice/thomson for what good it will do.

Room Tip: pay through the nose and you will get a sea view but to be fair all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnfielding
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I avidly read all reviews for La Palma Princess Hotel prior to my holiday and the following are my comments on some points made in recently posted reviews.

The journey from the airport is as reported; approximately 50 minutes, along a very winding road. If you think you will find the view down the hill a problem, sit on the right hand side on the journey to the hotel and the left for the return journey. Either side will give you an amazing birds eye view of the resort.

The hotel is not pretty from the outside, but I was pleasantly surprised when we entered the reception area. We were greeted with refreshing juice, fresh sandwiches and of course bananas. The check in procedure was very efficient. The bedroom was an impressive size, with a large balcony. Ours had a sea view, which I neither asked, nor paid a premium for! The bathroom was also a good size, with a spacious shower cubicle. Our room was cleaned to a high standard each day.

Service at the bars and in the restaurant was always very good, and we only encountered one member of staff who was a little brusk.
The food was comparable to a ‘4’ star all inclusive resort I have visited. There was plenty of choice, and staff worked hard to ensure that everything was available. I enjoyed the banana wrapped in bacon! The main dining room was often busy in the evenings but we rarely had problems getting a table. Lunch in the main restaurant had a relaxed atmosphere, where again a wide choice of dishes could be found. The pizzeria (everything on the menu is included for all inclusive guests) served a tasty selection, which was also available to take away. Breakfast in the main dining room was OK, but once we discovered Chef Alfonzo’s late breakfast in the Ocean view La Choza, there was no going back; delicious cooked-to-order omelettes and uber-crispy bacon overlooking the sea. Chef Alfonzo deserves a mention too for his cheery manner and keenness to give you whatever amount of crispiness that you desire on your bacon! The deserts and cheese selection were delicious, but a little repetitive. I would have loved to have enjoyed a coffee with my dessert, however, the coffee machines were only uncovered at breakfast. If you wanted coffee at any other time you had to go to one of the bars or the pizzeria. I found this the most annoying part of my stay.

The pools are very clean and look amazing, but be warned, in winter they are all freezing, with the exception of the heated pool which is very cold! Daytime entertainment was provided by the Animacion team. All activities took place at the beach pool – which is tucked away in one corner of the resort which is great if you want to avoid the noise of daytime games. I did – so didn’t see any of this, which if the evening entertainment is anything to go by, was a blessing. The evening entertainment was dire. The Three Tenors are by far the best; however, the atmosphere of the entertainment area let their performance down. I would not recommend any of the other night’s entertainment, however, for a giggle, watch the Bollywood night for it’s ill fitting costumes and a fire eater who appeared to have safety fire batons. I visited the gym during my stay, which could do with a refurb.

If considering a visit to La Palma in winter, please be aware that the evenings tend to be cold and very windy. It’s not uncommon to see guests lazing by the pool in a fleece!

Room Tip: Block 9 has sea views
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Fizzy__Noodle__P0t__
Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

La Palma is basically a big volcanic rock in the Atlantic and whilst the views are stunning, you do need balls to drive around. Once you see the Princess from the mountain, it's fairly clear that it's remote...maybe too remote. First impressions on arrival were of a clean, well appointed hotel and the rooms were beautifully clean and well equipped so long as you didn't plan to watch the TV...which we didn't. Food good, very good at times, especially at the Ocean view La Choza restaurant for breakfast where Chef Alfonso reigns supreme, especially with his omelettes! One pool is less cold than the others and the sports facilities are OK if a little tired in places. The animation team work hard, but apart from The Three Tenors, the evening shows were a little tame to be honest although many enjoyed the Bollywood night for all the wrong reasons (ill fitting dress and a fire eater that couldn't light his batons!!).
One or two gripes...Thomson rep was unavailable for three consecutive days out of seven and there one or two female staff whose customer service levels would have struggled to get 1 star. We won't go back but nor would we put anyone off going. For a nice relaxing week and in spite of the weather (barely made 20 degrees all week), £650 represents fairly good value for a week of all inclusive pampering.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank slappy1963
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fuencaliente de la Palma
16.7 km away
22.5 km away
Hotel San Telmo
Hotel San Telmo
#1 of 4 in Santa Cruz de la Palma

Been to La Palma Princess & Teneguia Princess? Share your experiences!