All reviews pancake machine plug ins electric outlets express checkout hot and cold options royal roads fort rodd hill modern hotel cinnamon buns pub next door the breakfast area free weights underground garage breakfast staff front desk clerk the entire hotel highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 26 August 2018

First let me say that the room is fine and the breakfast is great. But I am unlikely to stay here again for two reasons:

1) The reservation was made at a corporate rate by the company that had engaged my services. Everything was fine when I checked in, but later the woman at the front desk saw me coming into the hotel with my wife, and asked if that was my wife. I thought it strange at the time but I just confirmed and nothing else was said. When I went to check out, I found that she increased my room rate by over 75% (which added a total of over $500 to my total bill) because, as they told me, the reservation was made for 1 person and they adjusted it because there were 2 people. I have traveled worldwide must of my life and never heard of any hotel doing such a thing before. We did get it corrected, but was not happy about the delay because we were rushing to the airport to catch a flight. I might add, the rate that they adjusted it to ($314/night) was higher than any rate that I could find on their site and when I tried changing from 1 to 2 people, the rate on their site does not change). This alone is enough to make me avoid them in the future.

2) Their credit card reader was having problems, and according to the Royal Bank (who I called after I found out my card was locked) it appears that the problems with the machine at the hotel were somehow sending erroneous PIN numbers to the system. The person at the Hotel said she has seen that before and blamed it on car rental company pre-authorization.

As I said, we were happy with the facilities and room, but that first issue really leaves me with a very negative impression. Once the rate is agreed upon, the hotel should not blindly change it, especially without even discussing it with the customer. In my opinion, that is at least unethical.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Tj678
Reviewed 25 August 2018

I, too, had no water for two nights during my stay. I was actually fine with this since my son's house was not too far away. Poor review is in response to their non-fulfilled promise. I was given 30% off my prepaid rate for the inconvenience of not having any hot water. When I checked my statement later in the week, I was only credited one night of my stay. When I contacted the hotel, and discussed with the assistant manager TH, she at first denied there was no hot water on the first night of my stay. She then retracted her story, and told me there was nothing she can do unless I can verify that I did not receive the credit. I have sent her several screenshots, as she requested, but two weeks later I have yet to receive any response. Hotel is ideally located, clean, spacious, and if it weren't for this experience I would have returned without hesitation. Instead, I'll take my business elsewhere where I'm not treated like a cheat.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank ohaloh
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Whilst it is located on main road, traffic noise was minimal due to good insulation. Pool area is bright but only a smal area to sit round the edges. Beds comfy and large bathroom all helped make it a plesent stay. Breakfast was scambled egg, sausage, breads, muffins and pancakes plus kids cereal and yougurts! Plenty of coffee available all day too. Would have given 5 stars but only one lift made it a little slow to get up and down!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Maybe they are just going through a bad spell. But, it is amazing they couldn't resolve this problem more quickly. Problem related to the pool which also was not available.

Also noticed the slow elevator and traffic noise mentioned elsewhere. Internet seems slow and the TV program guide has not info listed other than the channel.

I had to stretch to give them average. But they did give us 35,000 points for our inconvenience. Hit them on BC Day long weekend.

Room Tip: Stay away from odd numbered rooms on the highway.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank KennyB586
KWeitzmann, Front Desk Agent at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Victoria - Colwood, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Hey KennyB586!

We really hope it's just a bad spell. Unfortunately the biggest problem with the pool damaging our hot water boiler on a long weekend is that we couldn't it serviced till Tuesday! We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and really hope we can see you again one day to show you our good side!

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days at the end of June and would highly recommend this hotel. We are a family of 5 and our room had two beds plus a sofa bed which was very comfortable for my son. The room was spacious and had a great shower.

We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning and found the dining area very clean with lots of seating. Definitely go early so you can get a cinnamon bun as they are simply delicious. Great selection of food and the pancake machine is always a hit with my kids.

It’s a bit of a drive from the inner harbour but nothing too bad at all. The hotel is fairly new and is nice and modern. There were a lot of guests staying here while we were there but it was very quiet in our room.

We would definitely stay here again when we come to Victoria!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SKfamily_5
KWeitzmann, Front Desk Agent at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Victoria - Colwood, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear SKfamily_5,
Thank you very much for your great review. We are soo happy to hear that the entire family enjoyed their stay with us and all the amenities the hotel has to offer. A positive guest experience is something we all take great pride in and your feedback will be shared with everyone here at the hotel. We thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us and can't wait to welcoming you all back in the near future.
Kind Regards,