4 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUS$131
Hotels.comUS$131
CheapTicketsUS$131
1,484 results
All reviews caprice restaurant train station underground parking indian menu good size sauna and steam room excellent facilities course dinner spa weekend set menu spa facilities winnersh triangle restaurant staff good nights sleep changing rooms an overnight stay stayed for one night
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 May 2021

I booked the hotel back in December, due to restrictions I booked the earliest date I could once opened. Cleanliness was great, antibacterial stations spotted around which made me feel safe and everyone wearing masks. The staff were fabulous, always friendly and rushed off their feet, everyone chipping in to help out each other was fantastic to see. Great team work amongst the staff, felt sorry for them as I see on the news that lots of people have left hospitality to work elsewhere leaving the hotel to run on skeleton crew. This should not put you off, the staff try their best for you and are always happy to help. You have to wait a little bit longer than usual but until the industry is back on its feet properly that's just how it is. I can not wait to stay again, love the poolside service its my favourite thing about the hotel. Plus the staff are just fantastic and help make a pleasant stay. I do recomend this place to anyone and everyone that has patience and can appreciate hard workers doing their very best.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2021

Not one to normally complain I have been forced to do so as I have just experienced a catalogue of disappointments during a spa break at your hotel on 22 May 2021.

First of all I booked a spa break back in March with Holiday Inn for myself and 5 guests to celebrate my birthday and also for a small hen party gathering as I’m getting married in June. I booked for the first weekend after hotels were allowed to re-open.
1. I booked 3 twin rooms for your spa break deal. The reservations colleague only had two bookings; there was some confusion over names, although all three were booked in my name and all the guests names were emailed over as requested quite a while ago;
2. Despite the booking confirmation being clear, two of the twin rooms were made up as doubles, housekeeping had to change them;
3. During our treatments, three of us had a little window of opportunity to get a much needed cup of tea, we approached the bar and was told, very abruptly, that we couldn’t order there as it was table service only, we sat down, but no one came over and we left, 20 minutes or so later, thirsty, as we needed to get back to the spa;
4. The event manager, Hayley, sent me, by email, the menu in order for us make our choices ahead of our visit. I sent these back promptly. We had one vegan in our party.
5. Our dinner reservation was for 8:30pm, we arrived on time and we were shown to our table, first impressions were very good, and we liked the name cards, showing our orders. We ordered two bottles of wine and some water, the water arrived promptly. After thirty minutes we chased up the wine but was told by a surly waitress that the bar staff were busy making cocktails and we would receive our wine when they had time. We couldn’t understand that grabbing two bottles from a fridge was such a chore and would have been a quick win. We received our wine after 45 minutes and we had finished our starters;
6. Our vegan party member, despite pre-order and noted on her name card, was told that her choice of soup was not vegan that night and she could have the super salad, which being easy going she said that would be fine, however there was no dressing and she was also having broccoli for her main so was disappointed;
7. No members of staff checked on us or asked if we wanted any more drinks. Our main meal took an hour and a half to arrive, one of our party was so hungry I got some crisps from our room, alongside a bottle of soft drink as there was little point in asking the grumpy waitress for service, we ended up sharing our crisps with another couple sitting near us, who were also getting very fed up with the wait for their food;
8. The atmosphere in the restaurant was one of desperation and disappointment with every table returning food or complaining about the wait, none of the staff seemed happy in their job and no one was particularly interested in customer service;
9. Our desserts arrived, eventually, and like the main course this was only when chased up. I queried where the chocolate ‘soil’ was on the fruit dish I was told rudely there isn’t any;
10. We would have ordered more wine, cocktails and coffee but the wait would have meant us staying there so long, it is usual for restaurants to make their profit on these items and were very surprised that this wasn’t of interest to the ever disengaged staff. One waitress did try to make us feel welcome but she said herself she was on furlough and normally worked week day breakfast shift but was told to come in for the weekend, not sure if the fact she was furloughed is legal for her to be working? It was blatantly obvious that the management have made a decision to save money but not employing enough staff and those who were there had given up trying to provide a service and cover for shortages;
11. There was no duty manager, we were told that they only work weekdays, which seems a little useless as businesses aren’t in need of a hotel at the moment but the weekends are now busier and that is when they are needed. I understand Fiona was given the duty manager role but with no authority. I was concerned that should an emergency occur there would be no one senior enough to take responsibility ;
12. The bar manager was not running an efficient service, in fact he scuttled away into a room behind the bar when he saw that customers where getting restless and complaints started coming in;
13. When we arrived for breakfast on Sunday morning the restaurant floor was upswept and still had broccoli on it from the night before;
Spa
14. The spa treatments on the whole were very good and we felt relaxed, however we would like to make a couple of points;
a. Manicures –please could you provide chairs as the two guests having these were very uncomfortable having to lay down
b. A larger selection of nail polishes would be welcome
c. The ‘pool store’ converted to a treatment room isn’t ideal as its not relaxing especially when children are playing loudly in the pool. After a foot treatment you have to make your way on a wet slippery pool side, which could be dangerous with the oil residue still on your feet
This spa break was a celebration and I was very disappointed, I felt although we made the best of it and had to laugh really, it wasn’t the relaxing chill out weekend I had envisaged. I feel that having to wait so long for our wine we should at least have this free of charge as compensation, something Fiona was willing to do however she didn’t have the authority.

We would like to praise Fiona, she was very friendly and helpful although her hands are tied and isn’t able to make management decisions on behalf of the hotel. Asanthi is incredibly hard working and she stepped in to perform many roles during the weekend. Both go over their pay scale and should be cherished and rewarded. The hotel may have had a redecoration programme following on from the Crowne Plaza take over, but you really need to invest in staff as they can make a hotel stay a memorable one, and I assume you would prefer guests having good memories!

Room tip: Check you have a twin when you have booked one
Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank SJPep
Reviewed 29 April 2021

Very Clean hotel, from top to bottom, made to feel so welcome on arrival,
Staff very helpful and very friendly.
on site carpark under hotel is great.
Amazing swimming pool.
Best nights sleep i have had a while.
I would 100% stay again

Date of stay: April 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Christina B, Owner at Crowne Plaza Reading East, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2021

Dear adamhilton1981

We are so appreciative of your wonderful feedback and thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent stay.

There is nothing more rewarding than having guests who enjoy every aspect of their stay and we are most grateful for your sharing your positive experience on tripadvisor.

We hope you will get the chance to stay with us again after 17 May 2021 when the entire hotel will reopen again as Crowne Plaza Reading East

We look forward to your next visit

Warm Regards
Hotel Management

Reviewed 26 January 2021

The hotel informed me it would be closed for my reservation dates due to Covid-19, and that I would need to reschedule my stay. I went along with this on the first occasion, however they then closed again on my rescheduled dates and have refused to give me a refund. Really poor customer service and zero goodwill on their behalf. Don't book until after the pandemic is totally over, as you won't get your money back if it is closed!

Date of stay: January 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
IHG Service, Guest Services / Front Office at Crowne Plaza Reading East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2021

Dear K8686GBjennyl,

I appreciate you for sharing your review about your recent stay.

I am very sorry that you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay because of the level of service you have received. On behalf of our hotel I apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I have sent you a private message to reaffirm my apologies.

I very much hope that you will grant us the opportunity to prove ourselves again.

Best Regards,

Ben W.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 11 December 2020

I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The car park is large and secure, there is a convenient lift from it to reception. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and helpful. The accessible room I had for 2 nights was very pleasant, good facilities, spacious, with enough room to turn a wheelchair and space around the ( very comfortable ) bed.
The bathroom had good facilities and was well laid out, clean and with lighting which made it pleasant even for early morning visits. The hotel itself appears a lot newer than it is, it was clean and warm and although it wasnt busy during my stay, there was very little noise from corridors etc. I would definitely put this hotel at the top of my list when I return to Reading.

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank OneleggedJon
Christina B, Owner at Crowne Plaza Reading East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2020

Dear Highly Valued Guest

We thank you very much for taking the time to write about your lovely stay at the Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10

We really appreciate your custom in our hotel, and your feedback is truly motivational for our dedicated team. We are delighted you enjoy every aspect of your experience with us – from your preferred accessible room designed to meet all your expectations to the high standards of cleanliness throughout There is nothing more rewarding for our efforts than our happy guests who love to stay with us and to whom we are the preferred hotel for future stays .

Once again, thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10 . We look forward to welcome you back, hopefully in the near future,

Kind Regards