All reviewsplace to stayparking lotrice fieldswell worth the effortthe ownerclean bedmini vanonly stayed one nighthour hikeping'an villagefabulous viewsenjoyed our staytop floortoiletnoiseguilinhiking
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in July 2013. Overall, we thought this was an excellent inn and we really enjoyed our stay here. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the food is delicious, and the view from the rooms is incredible. The inn is about a 40 minute walk from the parking lot, and Hannah (the amazingly helpful owner) will provide you with a map, or there will be local women offering to carry your luggage up the hillside (for around 35RMB) who can lead you there as well. The walls of the rooms are quite thin, so if you happen to be staying there when the inn is full, it can definitely get a little noisy. Also, some of the local women who sell souvenirs inside the inn can be a little pushy when they want you to buy their things. We were happy to buy from them, and did end up buying quite a bit, but they would come over while we were eating our meals and try to get us to buy more, which got a little annoying after awhile. However, everything else about the inn is fantastic, so I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone who is looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities--Tiantouzhai is one of the most peaceful, relaxing places we've visited in China.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kt044
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed here two nights on the 21st and 22nd of June 2013. As others have mentioned the hike up there is fairly steep, but it only takes about 30 minutes and it'll prepare you for the hiking you'll have to do to get around the area :) You could also tell yourself that if you'd stayed in Dazhai you'd have to do this every day! Although Dazhai is nice I'd recommend staying in Tiantouzhai for the views and ease of access to hiking paths.

Coming from Yangshuo and Guilin the lower temperature and humidity here at an altitude of about 900m was quite a relief. There were also far less mosquitos, maybe because of all the frogs in the rice paddies? :) Those frogs make quite a racket at night, so in addition to any noisy neighbours you'll have them to worry about when going to sleep. I recommend bringing some earplugs!

The hotel was quite nice though, views are amazing, food is good (especially the bamboo rice), and staff was friendly and helpful. We missed out on Hannah and Jimmy due to her pregnancy, but they were quite helpful by email and Jimmy's cousin was there to meet us when we arrived.

In addition to the nr 1-3 hiking trips I highly recommend hiking to Ping'an, or if you feel it's too long at least 1 hour of the way there, to a small cabin with a "waterfall" next to it. The scenery is just as nice and you'll see less tourists, and this is the best part of that hike. We went all the way to Ping'an then took a minivan back, it cost us 80 yuan but there's also a bus that's slightly cheaper.

I think this region is about to get a lot more tourists: between the new cable car from the parking lot (which takes you to the top of the nr. 3 path, not Tiantouzhai itself) and roads being upgraded and built, it's all set for mass tourism. Some of the new hotels also already use awful neon lighting that ruins the views at night, so get in before it gets even more touristy!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sigvic
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this place. Everyone was so friendly! We enjoyed both dinner and breakfast and were very satisfied. After walking around I am certain that there is not a better place to stay in this area. We stopped here after taking the 3 1/2 hour hike from the neighboring village of Ping'an. Sitting in the dining room after our evening meal and enjoying some cold beverages overlooking the view was really tremendous. It is a very peaceful place. Considering the location and price we were very satisfied with the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Doug H
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We traveled to this hotel for 30 minutes walk from the car park. I was so disappointed with the long walk but when I saw the place I felt at ease and so relaxing. The air was so fresh and the view was fantastic. I love the food they offered. I really enjoyed the stay and the day after I had my hiking. The scenic spots were so amazing. I love to visit again and stay in same guesthouse. Don't expect too much, just enjoy..

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This hostel's location is fantastic with nice views. Tiantou is such a charming village.
Hannah is lovely and helps with everything she can.
Good food (although everything we tasted seems to be deep fried) and good choice of chinese and western meals.
Rooms are very basic (which is what you would expect in such a location) but it is so noisy, we hardly slept. There is no sound proofing at all, you can easily hear your neighboors snore as if you were in their bedrooms, whenever people are walking down the corridor the whole floor is shaking and cracking. Cleanliness is questionable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple