“Another good dim sum”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2016

A few km from central Lisbon, Yum Cha Garden is nothing you would notice driving by. The food, on the other hand, is more than acceptable. We had typical dim sum, a bit lacking on the sauces, but well cooked, served quickly. Very spartan decorations for the tables, efficient service.

Reviewed 17 June 2016

After my wife and I got tired of eating Portuguese food for two weeks, our Chinese friends took us to Yum Cha Garden for dinner. The food was authentic and excellent with Mateus Rose, which went with Chinese food really well as recommended. We ordered chow mein noodles last. We heard that the owner had opened a new restaurant in Lisbon, but this place is rather hidden from a hustling and bustling area. It is quiet and parking is easier. It is a little hard to find for the first time, however. Although the waiter and waitress did not speak English much, you can pick what you want from the menu easily. The food is almost as good as what we get in Toronto. Highly recommended. We will go back there again.

Reviewed 11 May 2016

Good food, friendly staff, very good value for your money.

It gets a bit crowded at lunch time but still you can guarantee some privacy on your table.

Try the Mappu tofu and the spring rolls.

Decent wine list and Chinese beer.

I visit often at lunch.

Reviewed 28 December 2015 via mobile

I am sitting typing with one finger, the only thing I can move after a sumptuous and excessive Sunday dim sum lunch that was totally unexpected even after previous reviews.
Having spent 24 years in Hong Kong, I have a good idea of the best in Chinese food, and had heard for several years of a dim sum place in Oeiras, but had always dismissed it and patronised the Mandarin Garden in Estoril Casino.
This time with a family of seasoned HK veterans, we tracked it down to try it for a quick lunch.
The restaurant is tucked away off a cul-de-sac in the maze that is Oeiras, but is easily findable by name on Google Maps.
A discreet little entrance with the obligatory green tiled entrance and red Chinese lanterns didn't give much away. Inside clean and bright with a mixture of Chinese and Portuguese waiters. Only disappointment was that there were no small round tables, and our party of six were seated at 3 square tables pushed together in a line.
The menu, as so often had pictures of the treats in store, but we chose and wrote our first choices on a pad provided. Interesting that some waiters were second generation and didn't speak Cantonese.
The dim sum appeared swiftly and was of the highest quality. The best I have had outside Hong Kong and Vancouver, and better than many places there. All the more delicious varieties were there, ha gau, siu maai, fung jau, cheung faan, cha siu bau, and served hot and fresh.
We absolutely stuffed ourselves with the opportunity to enjoy the treats, and finished off with a dish of choi sum, a Chinese vegetable that is not common in Europe, but is being increasingly available via market gardens.
A great authentic experience and we will be back, to try other dishes. As a bonus, the Parque de Poetas in Oeiras which is nearby is a superb cultural experience and a great way to work off a good lunch - as soon as I can move!

Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

We came here for the first time on a Wednesday at around 8:30pm and were already intrigued by the amount of guests during the week. So better book a table if you're coming on the weekend.

True, communication with the waiters is limited but then you're given pen and paper to take notes of your order anyway. Not a big issue I would say unless you have special requests.

Waiting time was acceptable given the restaurant was almost full and the dim sum was worth the wait. Nice variety and very tasty to say the least. In other restaurants that offer dim sum sometimes one can hardly tell the difference between them because they all taste more or less the same. Not so at Yum Cha Garden.
Prices are actually fair in my opinion.
Next time we'll also have to try some main courses which are also authentic from what I can read from other guests.

Free parking is available in the streets around the block. I would not recommend public transport when coming from Lisbon.