See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

Maybe this place used to be nice, but it is no more.

Unfriendly boss, apathic and scared staff, rather bad restaurant. We stayed for six nights, tried to make some connection but without any luck. The nicest we met were the dogs.

The beach is nice though as is the rest of the island. Do go there but avoid this place. It is much nicer to stay wherever else and rent a bike.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank JensoLi
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The 50 minute ferry ride on the 'Ko Kut Express' from Laem Sok pier is lovely and I recommend staying out on deck to watch the ocean environment. You can reach the pier with a taxi (two-seater pick-up) ride from the town of Trat. Ferry costs THB350 per person. Taxi approx THB120.

There is another more expensive catamaran (THB800) that also stops at Koh Mak en route - and is therefore a longer trip - about 90 mins.

Book in both in advance and your respective taxi picks you up from town.

The organisation of the taxis once at the Koh Kood ferry was excellent. Just let the girl know where you are staying and she'll direct you to the relevant taxi.

So, to the resort of Ao Noi:
Over two days and three nights I booked into this large beachside resort for my birthday. We were the only guests at this time so the fact that we had solitude was also an added bonus. This probably won't be the case for most.
We were treated to the largest/best room - Villa 10 - which has ocean views but with a rocky foreground leading to the ocean. The bed/balcony and size of the room were the best features. Alas, no TV or coffee-making (not essential) in room. This may tempt you to explore the surroundings.

A highlight of this resort, as you will see on websites, is the long, attractive wooden jetty on the beach - a wonderful landmark for photos and sunset watching.
The waters of this resort are also rather emerald in colour - and looks great in photos - see image.

Downsides:
Only one main gripe due to the time of year. We were there pre-high season (early October) so building work was still in progress next to our villa. For some inexplicable reason, building detritus was placed under and around our villa as the workers grinded metal adjacent to us from 8am-5pm.

Again, this may not be the case when you visit but as time went on the noise was limited and became much less of a problem and we really enjoyed the stay. I just don't understand the manager allowing the mess to be there in the first place!

Rooms:
Not all rooms are this deluxe I hasten to add. This is the best room at Ai Noi Resort going for around 2800 Baht. There are two rooms of this standard on rocky shoreline but with ocean views.
Others are more simple thatched-roof type cabins with far less grandeur- more suitable for those who value the location more than the interior comfort and, of course, on a limited budget. Air con is included.

Many of the rooms/cabins are quite a walk from the eating/reception area but the gardens are extremely pleasant - I enjoyed the walk.

Food/Service:
I wasn't expecting much from this resort due to previous encounters on Koh Chang but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food here. I even had my first 'Som Tum' - a Thai spicy salad which was great.

Breakfast is included and can be Thai or Western (American breakfast with toast/coffee).

Service was initially without a smile as we checked in but soon became very friendly on subsequent restaurant visits.

Beach:
Rocky on one side, sandy on the other. Both great for sunset/sunrise.

What to do:
I only saw one neglected kayak (just full of rainwater) which I cleaned myself (no service at the time) but it is a lovely paddle out to sea and back. Maybe in high season they have more kayaks?

Walking and sunbathing, photography and sitting on the Jetty. You can hire a motorbike to explore on the island. However, in this instance the resort was so pleasant I didn't leave it for two days.

Departure:
You've probably already paid for a return taxi to the ferry and ultimately the town of Trat. The taxi leaves at 9am. No problems here.

Enjoy the views!

Stayed: October 2015
2  Thank warrenfield
Reviewed 28 July 2015

I cannot rate this place higher than average, because the accomodation is too simple for the price.
The fan room(with cold shower, 1500B) might be around 500B if it's in Koh Phanghan or Koh Phayam.
Having said that, I rather liked this place much.
Even the people who hate this place would admit the situation is simply gorgeous. This is where all 5 star resorts would envy. Remember, Koh Kood is one of the most beautiful island in Thailand and here is one of the most beautiful place in Koh Kood. Dazzling white beach with aquamarine water, two wooden piers, dense jungle and countless coconut trees. Just like your imaginary tropical beach comes true.
The bungalows are simple and rustic, but clean and adequate. The price is rather high, but maybe this is the cheapest option which has a private beach in Koh Kood.
Food is filling and cheap(for this island). Staff may be indifferent sometime, but overall easy going, nice and kind.
This place seems to rely on Thai weekender(there was karaoke in restaurant), so if you come this place in weekdays besides Thai holidays, you will likely to have this stunning beach all to yourself.

Stayed: February 2015
1  Thank samsontakahashi
Reviewed 7 May 2015

just what I was looking for, simple quiet peaceful rustic resort, beautiful beach, crystal clear water, staff was great, food was awesome, they feed you 4 times a day family style--lots of fresh seafood

there was a daily activity--ride to center of island and hike to waterfall and swimming hole one day, another day was a speed boat ride to another island for snorkeling and picnic lunch on the beach, thanks to a couple of locals that went along we got to see and hold a cushion star fish and a sea cucumber, fun to feed the fish by hand (take bread or rice)

arranged this trip with a tour guide in Pattaya, hired a van to Trat, the package included speed boat to and from island, very nice room, food and activities were all included, had to pay for a couple of beers that were very reasonably priced

will go back next trip to Thailand

Room Tip: accommodations vary quite a bit from very basic huts to villas with AC and sliding glass doors and screens
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2015

Aow Noi Resort is located on a beautiful beach on Koh Kood. That is where my positive comment ends.
I highly recommend that you look elsewhere... there are plenty of resorts/guesthouss on the island that are far cheaper, cleaner, better accommodating, more facilities etc.
We stayed in peak season and expected that the price would be high (1,800A/C room / night) however, for that amount of money, I expected ALOT more!
- bed and pillows rock solid
- pitiful breakfast
- huts falling apart - a piece of wood fell off above the bathroom door / holes in the walls
- room swarming with mosquitoes
- a rat! Woke up and a rat had bitten into our soap!
- cold shower
- air conditioning limited to 25degrees and only worked in the evenings and early mornings.
- aircondioned rooms further away from the beach and have fewer amenities (chairs outside) - seems absurd how you pay more and get less!
- something eating the wood causing flakes to fall on the bed
At the end of our stay I addressed the owner with a few of these concerns and in reply I got a shrug along with a 'oh well, tough luck.' kind of look on her face...

Room Tip: book elsewhere... if you have to book at this resort - stay in a fan room...
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple