See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 April 2011

After reading some of the bad reviews on tripavisor I was hesitant to stay here. My partner and I spent a night at Casa Felipe as it had the best reviews. After finding this was just too far away from the beach, and felt unsafe to walk back to at night, we decided to give Casa Blanca a go...

Well, although the rooms are basic and the staff speak very little english, it turned out to be the highlight of our trip. The sea facing rooms all have balcony/hammock and boast million dollar views of the sea and surrounding mountains.

The rooms are basic but clean and perfectly adequate for a hostel. The manager of the place is probably the sweetest lady we have met in SA. She makes you feel very much at home despite the language barrier.

Reception has a fridge with water and other beverages for sale at very reasonable prices - quite handy. They have wifi but it generally only works on the lower levels or near reception.

A previous review stated that there was plastic on the pillows and dangerous wiring - we saw no evidence of this.

With its perfect location, very inviting manager, very reasonable rates and best sea views I have ever seen in my life, this is the place to stay!!! You won't regret it! Just make sure you get a sea facing room.

Excellent rooms:
Room #12 (for its balcony and view)
Room #8 (for its view and privacy)

Room Tip: Best value rooms #12 and #8
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed at Casa Blanca after hearing rave reviews through MINI HOSTELS (online booking agency) and to be honest the only thing this Hostel has going for it is it's location. Staff were friendly but useless and the rooms were falling apart. Roofs leaking, live electrical cables hanging from sockets and old saggy uncomfortable beds with pillows wrapped in plastic. We booked through mini hostels and when we went to finalise the bill the hostel would not honour the booking by way of allowing us to pay the balance (90%). Mini Hostels had already charged us 10 % on our credit card, and even with proof they were adament that they had no such deal with them. We ended up paying an extra US$80 dollars just to end the nightmare and get out of there. We highly recommend people not to stay with these shonky people and they should be banned from the lonely planet book because they are crooks.
If you want to stay somewhere really decent with a great restaurant and excellent grounds - and cheaper..stay at Casa De Felipe. 10 min walk from the beach but totally worth it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jfuerza
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I knew about this place form Lonely Planet. I went there to check the room.
When I was taken to the top floor and I saw the view I just knew I will stay here. Literally from the bad I could see the bay and blue water =)

It was amazing. There is also patio on which hangs hammock so You can relax during sunset =)

Room was big with very high celling. On it during the day and night You could spot geckos which were making really cute sounds.

There is free wi-fi and fridge with drinks. What is nice is that their prices are really low so it is easier to buy them then go to the shop.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We knew about this place from tourist guide. When we arrived we knew we wanna stay here.

Great views from top rooms which has also huge patios. There is no A/C but it is not needed while there is nice breeze from sea.

The hostel is really safe and in night it is closed and watched. Rooms are very big and clean. In night You can hear the gecos which we found delightfull.

There is also fridge with beverages in reasonable price so You don`t have to go to shop in night what is really nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Don´t stay on the very top floor. We had no water 1/2 the time for three days. Water was in the rest of the hostel though. The staff was friendly, but guests are not allowed to enter and there is no area close to it where you can hang out with non-guests. As long as all of your friends are in this hostel it is a great option. Rooms clean. And there is even a little fountain to wash the sand off your feet when you enter. Beautiful views.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends