See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Annie and Pierre are the most welcoming, warm and helpful hosts ever! The rooms are spacious, the house enchanting and Pierre's food tantalizing. What a terrific experience. And then, of course, there's Elliott, their Bichon Frisée and my "grand amour". Left this morning and already miss it. And of course.... The spa!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Bastide des Princes was a serendipitous find. Actually I was searching for a Bastide somewhere in Avignon but was relegated to this site by another website called B&B.com. I emailed the place and received a prompt response from Annie Paumel. The Dinner Gastronomique caught my attention and without further qualms about it booked our stay. The rest was history. She graciously offered to pick us up from Orange which was great since Caderousse is 6 Km away from the station. It is a place I guess frequented by domestic vacationers who travel by car. And later I realized that it is a known culinary destination for Pierre Paumel offers a world class cooking lessons.

Upon arriving at the premises we were ushered to our room. We had a choice whether we wanted Mame or Pape. We chose the latter with the view of the open fields and the mountains beyond. It's a 17th century manor house beaten by centuries of exposure to mistral who was also very glad to accompany us during our stay in Provence, thus making the heat tolerable. She prepared for dinner a Grande salade with summer truffles on tomatoes, melon topped with Serrano Ham, 2 boiled eggs encrusted with caviar, and a bread stick covered with various spread: olive tapenade,
tomato, tuna, etc. My gastronomic eyes popped. As we haven't visited Laduree yet in Paris, we were treated with a mousse with a piece of macaroon cradled delicately on top garnished with a single gooseberry. We were the only diners that night, al fresco and a flicker of candlelight.

Our sleep was very comfortable and we couldn't wait for breakfast.
Breakfast was as expected. Claudine helps Annie in the morning to set up breakfast. It was simple. I like the selection of honey. I normally don't eat cereal for breakfast but I tried theirs which was excellent.

We booked for a Lavender Tour that day. Annie arranged it for us so that we'll be picked up and dropped at Orange. We were very lucky though. We happened to be the only clients going to the Road of Van Gogh Tour, and so they offered to pick us up from Caderousse and back. The only problem was the B&B had no water that night and we wonder how we would be able to use the facilities that night and then the following morning. Luckily, water came back before midnight. The following day we left very early and so we have to miss breakfast that normally starts at 8:30 to 10:30. Claudine was preparing breakfast already at that time when we were waiting for our pick-up. We asked her for coffee but was refused. She said that it has to be served at 8:30. We left a note for Annie so that we could have lunch later.

Lunch was left in our room in the fridge, elegantly packed and ribboned with Lavender stalks. It was an omelette with a side of ratatouille. I was so impressed.

We did not leave the premises since that day was the big night: Master Chef Paumel's Gastronomique Concert. It was held al fresco with just 12 diners. We started with Champage aperitif and a plate of 4 amuse bouche: gaspacho, 2 canapés of olive tapenade and tomato with garlic, and finally a cucumber mousse with Serrano ham. For wine, I requested for Rouge Chateau Mont-Redon Abeille et Fabre. Our first entree was sea bass, shrimps and scallops cooked sous vide garnished with nasturtium and aromatic basil. The texture of the seafood was incredible, out if this world. And then ensued the farm raised spring chicken with fresh chanterelle mushrooms accompanied by skewers of mini potatoes and sausages. Goat cheese mini burger with summer truffles and salad with truffle oil dressing followed. And if you can still take it, a trio of desserts in one plate: raspberry Pannacotta, rosemary Creme Brûlée & Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse. Dinner started at 8 and we finished at 11 leaving others still watching a concert on a projector.

My wife did not like the Rosemary Creme Brûlée. Once I experimented with fried Sage leaves and so my taste buds was really attuned to the chef's intent. It was a truly intense dessert one that I could describe as passionate. To finish the desserts, I should have stayed until 1 am.

This was no ordinary dinner, nor an ordinary B&B. For just quality of food alone, I will definitely put Bastide des Princes on the map of Foodies' destination in Provence. And of course, on the top of my list.

The water and breakfast issue was totally obliterated when Annie took off 40 euros from our bill, and gave us our lunch free of charge.

Finally expressing our adieu's and au revoir's, Annie & Pierre brought us to the Orange TGV station carrying with us sumptuous memories of what Provençal cuisine should be.

In Fine dining we find new friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jov1061
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed at this gastronomique B and B outside Orange at the suggestion of friends. It was once a French farm house (bastide) and was converted to a B and B by its current owners. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Ours had a small anteroom with a minibar, as well as its own bathroom. The husband and wife team who run also provide a four course dinner which was included in the price. It was very well cooked, country style French gastronomique food. There was a small but good collection of wines from the region. We enjoyed our one night stay and would recommend it to others passing through: you will enjoy Annie and Pierre’s hospitality and friendliness, not to mention their chien mechant, Elliott!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Husband (chef) and Wife (hostess extraordinaire) team!
Very comfortable accommodations: clean, beautifully appointed decorations, mini fridge, nice French breakfast each morning was included (croissants, fresh bread, cheese, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice).
Dinner was optional and extra and so worth it. If you only have one luxury meal in France, have it here. It was a 6-course pre-fix meal for 46 EU/person not including wine. Incredible atmosphere, outdoor and indoor setting, nice music, the highest level service and the most exquisite food. Just the right amount.
This was my favorite meal during my 2 week stay in France -travelled in both Provence and Paris.
On the hostess side, Annie was amazing. She really cares about all her guests. When my mom got sick she didn't just give us directions, she called the doctor and drove us over.

I was travelling with my son (9), my mom (70) and my brother (38).
There is both an outdoor and indoor pool.
I give Annie and Pierre my absolute highest rating! Do not hesitate to book your stay and dinner at Bastide des Princes!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Our Summer trip to Provence and Paris included a 5-night stay with Annie and Pierre at La Bastide des Princes. We chose this property based upon reviews on Trip Advisor. Annie greeted us as we arrived on property and welcomed us to their home which is a lovely, centuries old property they have restored and taken care of wonderfully. She provided us with a local map, several brochures and offered suggestions of places to see including the estimated time it would take to make the trip to the specific sites. She also suggested restaurants/cafes both locally and in other towns around the area for lunch and dinner.

There is plenty of parking inside the gate and near the entrance. The grounds were well maintained with many areas to sit outside and relax under the trees or by the pool. Since the property is outside of town, you can definitely relax and spend some quite time outdoors if you would like. Our room was Helene located upstairs from the main entrance. The room is quite large and comfortable and included an extra twin bed for families. The room was equipped with TV and air conditioning.

Each morning we enjoyed a large breakfast outside on the patio that included warm croissants and baguettes, pain au chocolat, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, yogurt, preservers and coffee/tea. We could not pass up the opportunity to have dinner prepared by Pierre on 3 evenings during our stay. Dinner was served outside under a covered terrace and included an aperitif, appetizer, entrée, cheese course and dessert. The menus were quite varied and included items such as rabbit, fish, pheasant, lamb, beef and chicken. As you would imagine the accompaniments included many of the local Provence vegetables thoughtfully prepared in imaginative ways. All of our meals were delicious and masterfully prepared and presented. Desserts were a highlight and were served on dishes resembling an artist’s palette. The presentations were a delight to the eyes and sinfully pleasing to our stomachs.

La Bastide des Prince is a wonderful place to stay. Annie and Pierre are wonderful hosts. They are very accommodating, helpful and will do whatever they can to help you get the most out of your visit. We recommend staying here as part of your trip to Provence!

Room Tip: Helene is quite large and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple