“Excellent vegetarian choices”

Ranked #11 of 15 Restaurants in Parkgate
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With magnificent views of the Dee Estuary its no surprise that Parkgate has a reputation as somewhere to eat whilst enjoying the beautiful British coastline. As could be expected, it’s our fish and shellfish selection that we take a particular pride in, the offerings extensive, the produce fresh and the preparation lovingly cared for.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived unannounced and plonked ourselves in lovely window seat overlooking the marshes at night. Despite no greeting station or reservation cards on the table we were advised the table had been reserved so we where re seated. Once seated behind a wall we were treated to tasty vegetarian food. I really enjoyed my lasagne shame it was in a tiny bowl.
We had great service from our waitress who pointed out the hearty pud options.

Will visit again

BoathouseP P, General Manager at The Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Firstian

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your visit with and please accept my apologies for you being moved from one of our Window tables, please give me a call next time you wish to dine with us and I will ensure you have a table in the window with the better views of the Marshes

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Took some friends for lunch on a busy Thursday afternoon, the staff were excellent, the deputy manager has a great (yet clean), and witty humour, really made the day. Food was top notch, recommend the prawn linguine highly. Have already booked for a Christmas get together and cannot wait.

Hi Allan

Many Thanks for your kind words and and we are very please you enjoyed your visit with us at the Boathouse and we look forward to seeing you in December and I shall be sure to pass your comments on to Kearon my Deputy

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on Sunday 4th November. Lovely view of Wales and lovely relaxing music. That’s about everything that was enjoyable. We ordered two King roasts, “the ultimate roast dinner “ (£ 15.95). I didn’t have high hopes and wasn’t disappointed there. Trio of meats, chewy beef that wasn’t edible was placed underneath gammon so it was not seen, gammon was ok, nothing special. Pork was the nicest but only a tiny thin slice. Vegetables looked unappetising. Pale red cabbage, broccoli not fresh, partially yellow, and carrot and swede was too smooth, like a baby food. Yorkshire pudding was fine, a bit well done but ok. For Parkgate I would expect something better.

1  Thank checa_chica

Dear Customer,

I am Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us and was not up to your expectations, i would like the opportunity to discuss your visit with you in more detail, if you would be so kind as to contact me at the Boathouse it would be greatly Appreciated.

Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

Called in for lunch and were seated promptly in the restaurant with a lovely view. Staff pleasant and attentive to begin with and our orders taken when we were ready.
However when our drinks arrived, my husband’s glass was dirty. It then took a while to get someone’s attention and another five minutes for a new glass.
When our meals arrived I was astonished at the size of the portions we were given. My husbands’s fish and chips were ‘child portion sized’ and the tiny fish was a rectangular shape that looked as though it had come out of a packet of frozen cheap supermarket types of fish. Very few chips, mushy peas but no tartare sauce.
My meal was the steak pie which came in a dish with a thin piece of anaemic looking pastry covering the top with mash, celeriac and carrots. It all looked dry and unappealing.
When I began to eat the pie I did find plenty of very tasty, but watery gravy with a few small pieces of tough, flavourless beef inside. Very disappointing.
We ploughed on, as we were hungry and it was getting late, there were no waiting staff around so we had no one to address our issues with. At no point were we asked if everything was ok with our meals. Our plates weren’t cleared, we weren’t offered anything else, in fact, we didn’t see any member of staff until we were stood with our coats on at the till point. By this time we were desperate to leave.
A very pleasant young man printed out our bill, at which point I questioned the price of the fish and chips as at £12.95 as it was a very small portion. The waiter told us that yes it was correct as the meal my husband had was a ‘regular sized portion ‘. ( There were two portion size options on the menu).
I asked him to give some feedback to his manager and chefs as we have never paid so much for so little. There are plenty of other establishments in Wirral that supply amazing meals with good quality food and decent portions.
We will not return to The Boathouse but will stick to The Viking, West Kirby, The Jug and Bottle in Heswall and the Irby Mill pub, all guaranteed to provide excellent food and service.
This beautiful pub has so much potential with the amazing views and characterful interior but the food simply isn’t good enough.

2  Thank jencatt
Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

Went to the boathouse after having been shopping. Food was excellent and the tea was lovely. Was secured by a nice man called Alex.

BoathouseP P, Manager at The Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to you dining with us again in the future