“Great meal, great staff and lovely atmosphere”
Review of The Ship

The Ship
Ranked #1 of 1 Parkgate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2016

Visiting the area, we were taken to the Ship and we were not disappointed, what great food and so tasty. Staff although young were very good. great find. The menu was very comprehensive and wine was great

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank judithterry

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

We. Stayed here for two nights both nights we ate in the restaurant both nights the food was hot tasty and the service was great.the troom of the hotel was very clean and spacious the breakfast again was hot the biggest thing for me was the gluten free menu was great there was 3 starters and at least 3 mains and gluten free bread for toast the staff are friendly and very helpful

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We booked two rooms here for one night to attend a family funeral nearby. Booking was easy and checking in went smoothly. There is a large secure car park. We then went up to the room, it was lovely and clean, spacious enough with a quirky bathroom up a few steps. It was well equip with shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, plenty of tea, coffee, sugar & hot chocolate.
Shortly after settling in we went downstairs to meet for our evening meal. We all had two courses and all the food was lovely. The only thing that could of been better was the service from the staff. When serving food, it just got put on the table and the staff walked away. With the starters, we were missing something and had to ask. With the mains, we all had no cutlery left and had ask again, and then also had to ask for sauces as well. Think they were half asleep.
The problems started when we went to go to bed, just after 11.30pm. We got to our room and there were no lights working at all on our floor. We went downstairs to ask someone for help and the lady just said 'I don't know much about electrics so there not much I can do'. We then had to go to bed using torches on our phones until the morning, when i say morning, the lights came back on at 6am! Every light in our room was on so we didn't have much choice to be awake or not.
My mother in laws shower was not working in the morning at all. When checking out and this was mentioned all that was said was 'oh, sorry about that'.
I think before staying here again I would look elsewhere first and this would be a last resort just down the staffs customer service. The hotel itself is lovely.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room over the kitchen or you get woken very early with fans
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2016

Seldom do I ever order a pie but it was a cold evening and I was very hungry. Must have been one of the best pies I've ever eaten, extremely large and under normal circumstances I would have had difficulty finishing it, but, as I said previously, I was hungry.!! The other members of our party were very happy with their dishes.
The only niggle was that the service was very slow, the waiter had forgotten my wine and my partner had to send his beer back as it was very cloudy. Nevertheless a good atmosphere with a table in the window and a great view. If we are ever in the area again would make a repeat visit..

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank whispycl0ud
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

We arrived on a cold late October afternoon and on checking in were told that the boilers had failed and there was no heating, however the encouraging news was that the Receptionist had bought up all the electric fires in Neston, good news and would have been even better had our one been turned on just to take the chill off the room, however it soon warmed up.
Our Son and Family joined us for supper and we chose from a very good menu, the food was good, however we did get more than we bargained for with a slug in our Daughter in law's salad, this spooked the waitress who fled. Our Son then found lumps of compost with his mushrooms & Mother in law's broccoli was just too al dente, the replacement even harder, the Staff took these problems in their stride without even a murmur of apology.
At breakfast there was a list of fresh and stewed fruit on the menu, but none on the counter, we were glibly advised that delivery was awaited, no idea when, and were each given a banana.
My Wife paid the bill while I packed the car, she came back saying that she hadn't appreciated that our room had cost £80 each ! The mistake was quickly rectified and her card credited with the excess £80.
The Ship is perfectly adequate, in a good location with good parking and the food good especially without the unrequested extras ! We would give it another chance, however we would have been much more impressed had there been an apology and maybe even a Wee discount instead of the £80 surcharge.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkgate
3.1 km away
3.8 km away
The Jug & Bottle
The Jug & Bottle
#1 of 1 in Heswall

Been to The Ship? Share your experiences!