All reviewsdee estuarylord nelsonwelsh hillsgastro pubnorth walesfish and chipsbooked a tablepiesingle roomsunday lunchfour posterfull english breakfastlovely foodcooked to perfectioncomfortable roomsbreakfast was excellentcooked breakfast
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We booked two rooms here for one night to attend a family funeral nearby. Booking was easy and checking in went smoothly. There is a large secure car park. We then went up to the room, it was lovely and clean, spacious enough with a quirky bathroom up a few steps. It was well equip with shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, plenty of tea, coffee, sugar & hot chocolate.
Shortly after settling in we went downstairs to meet for our evening meal. We all had two courses and all the food was lovely. The only thing that could of been better was the service from the staff. When serving food, it just got put on the table and the staff walked away. With the starters, we were missing something and had to ask. With the mains, we all had no cutlery left and had ask again, and then also had to ask for sauces as well. Think they were half asleep.
The problems started when we went to go to bed, just after 11.30pm. We got to our room and there were no lights working at all on our floor. We went downstairs to ask someone for help and the lady just said 'I don't know much about electrics so there not much I can do'. We then had to go to bed using torches on our phones until the morning, when i say morning, the lights came back on at 6am! Every light in our room was on so we didn't have much choice to be awake or not.
My mother in laws shower was not working in the morning at all. When checking out and this was mentioned all that was said was 'oh, sorry about that'.
I think before staying here again I would look elsewhere first and this would be a last resort just down the staffs customer service. The hotel itself is lovely.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room over the kitchen or you get woken very early with fans
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2016

Seldom do I ever order a pie but it was a cold evening and I was very hungry. Must have been one of the best pies I've ever eaten, extremely large and under normal circumstances I would have had difficulty finishing it, but, as I said previously, I was hungry.!! The other members of our party were very happy with their dishes.
The only niggle was that the service was very slow, the waiter had forgotten my wine and my partner had to send his beer back as it was very cloudy. Nevertheless a good atmosphere with a table in the window and a great view. If we are ever in the area again would make a repeat visit..

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank whispycl0ud
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

We arrived on a cold late October afternoon and on checking in were told that the boilers had failed and there was no heating, however the encouraging news was that the Receptionist had bought up all the electric fires in Neston, good news and would have been even better had our one been turned on just to take the chill off the room, however it soon warmed up.
Our Son and Family joined us for supper and we chose from a very good menu, the food was good, however we did get more than we bargained for with a slug in our Daughter in law's salad, this spooked the waitress who fled. Our Son then found lumps of compost with his mushrooms & Mother in law's broccoli was just too al dente, the replacement even harder, the Staff took these problems in their stride without even a murmur of apology.
At breakfast there was a list of fresh and stewed fruit on the menu, but none on the counter, we were glibly advised that delivery was awaited, no idea when, and were each given a banana.
My Wife paid the bill while I packed the car, she came back saying that she hadn't appreciated that our room had cost £80 each ! The mistake was quickly rectified and her card credited with the excess £80.
The Ship is perfectly adequate, in a good location with good parking and the food good especially without the unrequested extras ! We would give it another chance, however we would have been much more impressed had there been an apology and maybe even a Wee discount instead of the £80 surcharge.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

We visited here last night for the second time. The food was fantastic (particularly the goats cheese starter and the lamb) and the crumble was incredible!
To top it off, the service from the lovely waitress (Lara) was superb; she was absolutely delightful and couldn't do enough for us. Thank you :)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Second year at the Ship for our annual golf tour and it won't be the last. Very comfortable rooms, great food and - best of all - welcoming and tolerant staff. Ideal location for a selection of fine golf courses on the Wirral. See you again next year!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends