“How to be completely inhospitable”

Restaurant Provencal La Margelle
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2017

I have only ever walked out of a restaurant for being ignored or treated rudely twice in my life. This was the second time (and I really, really do not enjoy making negative reviews). What's more, I have every patience when waiting for (good) food and when a place is really busy.

We arrived around 12.15. The owner (I presume) rolled her eyes when we said we hadn't booked but pointed at a table and disappeared.

We were on a day out and were passing through this place at lunchtime. It looked pleasant. Our idea was to indulge in one of their more pricey menus and take our time. We weren't in any particular hurry but we were thirsty.

So, we sat down and were ignored. The place was over half empty. A couple of people came in - clearly regulars - and welcomed warmly.

Out on the terrace, the waitress delivered meals, and ignored us. Water? Nope, wasn't happening, and neither were the menus.

After fifteen minutes, I caught the waitress (who had come out and stared around at the terrace a couple of times, but without bringing water or menus) and asked - politely - if we could please, at least, see a menu and order an aperitif and water as we'd been there for quite a while.

She shrugged. That, she told us, was the boss's job, not hers, and she would get to us when she got to us.

The boss emerged a few minutes later with plates for two people, turned her back on us, and went back inside.

We quietly stood up and left. Fortunately for us, to find a superb little place up the road where the (excellent) food was served with a smile.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Bren_KFrance

Reviewed 19 October 2016

Had lunch on the terrace in August, were served with the "menu du jour". Food was simple but very tasty. Service was super friendly.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 26 July 2016

I have been spoiled over the years with some of the best food in France. The dinner I had at this restaurant was not very good. It is a family restaurant most certainly but, for me, I cannot recommend it. It does take credit cards.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the B&B around the corner Le Mas de l'Amandier which was very nice. We enjoyed our first meal here so much we came back a second night. We had the meal of the day each time, the first night it was a beef stew that was one of the best meals we had while we were in France. The meal included a choice of appetizer, entry and desert. We also enjoyed a bottle of the Cotes du Rhone wine, Domaine du Bois de Saint Jean. We would recommend eating here.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Leanne L
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

La Margelle is a find. Monsieur cooks, Madame somehow serves all the tables. Well patronized by locals.

Check first the nightly prix-fixe menu at 20 euros. Two choices of main course. If that night's specials don't happen to appeal, upgrade to the 26 euro menu, which we did. But be hungry if you do. An elegant amuse-bouche was followed by a generous Provençal salad or melon and ham, both recommended. The entrecôte was excellent and actually cooked to our request. Desserts ... just go and see.

Madame graciously explained the local dishes, including a couple that she warned were an acquired taste.

The outdoor ambience was informal and relaxed.

Strongly recommended. Great value for the quality and the generous portions of the Provençal cuisine.

Date of visit: July 2015