See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2016

I reserved this ryokan for my birthday and I expected better for the price. The ryokan is modern, big, clean but has no charm and is a real maze. We had a room on the second floor which was big and clean but the view was disappointing as it was trees.

The baths were awsome, especially the outside one (rotenburo).

The meal were good too but we didn't like the dining room which is noisy and has no privacy. The food was really good but service was meh : either they served us the next dish before we finished the one we were eating, either we had to wait, either some things were forgotten. Breakfast was a disaster as everything was cold and we have to request our rice and soup.

I have to go again to Kurokawa before April but I won't choose this ryokan. For the same price I guess we could find a better place.

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank BeneFukuoka
Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

The food was delicious with pretty setting. Onsen was nicely decorated, it was comfy with beautiful Japanese-style view. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was welcoming and helpful. Free parking was provided. Can't wait to visit again.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2015

we stay in their secondary building; which include private hot spring inside the room.

the staff help us offload the heavy luggage from my car and send to my room (B1 level), not lift, only stairs. Although the manger is not good in english, he tried to show us the room very detail and with the assistance from his staff. My room is include western and japanese style bedroom, the hot spring is good, and inside the fridge have a jar of ice water + ice towel!
inconveniences part is the dinner need to go back to main building although the manager will drive us from/to the main building. lucky the breakfast is inside the room.

one more experiences is there was a alarm in the midnight is regarding the earthquake nearby, luckily not affect to us, but alarm just wake up us.

overall the experience is good.

Date of stay: November 2015
1  Thank DD_leisure
Reviewed 28 May 2015

I would recommend both Kurokawa Onsen and Yumerindo without reservation. I admit that I am not an expert in ryokans, but Yumerindo met all of my expectations. First, even though ryokans often don't accept single travelers, booking the room for just me was not a problem. Second, they went out of their way to make sure that I was greeted by an English-speaking staff member, and that he served me dinner each night. I was made to feel completely welcome even though I don't speak Japanese, and even though I was the only Western guest at the time.

As far as the accommodations go, I stayed in a Japanese-style room with a toilet but no shower. This turned out to be a great choice. The room was quite large and had a private balcony. The futon on the floor was surprisingly comfortable, and I slept well.

I didn't miss having the shower in my room, and likely you won't either, because if you're coming to Kurokawa Onsen, it's because you want to go to the onsen. The onsen at Yumerindo is well-apportioned with showers and shower supplies, and it includes both an indoor bath and an outdoor bath. There's also, at least on the mens side, a steam room fed by the onsen, which is super cool. Note that the outdoor bath is, in the very traditional Japanese style, mixed sex (and nude). What this appears to mean in practice is that women don't use it. Realistically, since Yumerindo is walking distance to, oh, 25 other onsens (many of which have women-only outside baths), I doubt this will be a problem.

Finally, I thought the food was excellent, and it compared favorably with much more expensive meals that I've had in much larger cities. It was traditional Japanese kaiseki, with creativity and no fear of showing a little Western influence (like a cream sauce in one dish). I stayed for two nights and had completely different meals for each breakfast and dinner.

Overall, I'm very glad I went to Kurokawa Onsen, even though it is out of the way, and very glad I stayed at Yumerindo. If you're an onsen fan and you're deciding between coming here or going to a bigger place like Beppu or Yufuin, I strongly suggest coming here.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2015

We only used their onsen facilities, as a part of the Kurokawa Onsen tour. It's a very nice onsen, with plenty of bathing amenities (which you don't find in many other onsen in Kurokawa). There are indoors gender-separated baths and an open-air mixed bath. Me and my wife were lucky enough to be the only people enjoying the mixed bath. Unfortunately, the water was so hot (hotter than average onsen) that it was impossible for us to stay there for more than just a couple of minutes. And although the place is very beautiful, with lots of greenery in the surroundings, there is little privacy because the room windows of the annex building face the open-air onsen (!). I wish they had more trees and bushes separating the building and the onsen facilities...

Date of stay: January 2015