“Are we too old for this beautiful place?”
Review of Yochiin

Yochiin
Reviewed 23 April 2015

This monastery inn was part of our Discover Japan tour. At age 70 and in favor of great bathrooms, I do not share the enthusiasm of my previous reviewers. Paper walls and tatami floors were my husband's and my first experience. This said, the inn is lovely with a beautiful gravel garden at the entrance, concept wabi sabi. It is quietly located near the main temple complex which was beautifully lit at night.

Our large room had a functioning heat system, a small second room and a balcony with a table and two chairs. We ate in the adjacent tatami room with our group. The monks were very friendly and dinner and breakfast were beautiful to look at.

soOur room was conveniently located near a bathroom. It had a second room and a small balcony with a table and two chairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, chairs and table if your yoga is not up to par.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ingrid P

Reviewed 3 December 2014

The sum up my experience in Yochiin I can just start by saying that I was supposed to stay one night there but, after 10 minutes of checking in, my gf and I decided to stay and extra night. That's how lovely our stay at Yochiin temple was!
The room was a really spacious traditional Japanese style room with a small balcony overlooking an inner garden. The only downside of the room is that it had a small part of the wall that connected to the next room which means that we could hear everything the couple next door said. This could obviously be annoying to some people more than others, but in mine and my gf's case, it wasn't an issue.
Everything was extremely clean (something that Japan makes you get used to very quickly!) including room, facilities and the public bath. The bath was closed during most of the day, opened at 4pm and closed by 9pm which, for people like me who like to take a bath/shower in the morning is a bit of a problem, but I quickly got used to it. As I also got used to not having wifi in the temple. Being connected 24/7, I actually found it a sort of a blessing not being able to go online often.
As food is concerned I have to stay that was probably one of the highlights of my stay at Yochiin. I'm not a vegetarian yet but I've quit meat for a year now and being able to have completely vegetarian breakfast and dinner was amazing. The food (which was served in our rooms) was, not only delicious but also presented in an amazing way. Truly a feast for the eyes!
The staff was really friendly and helpful, in particular the monk that was in charge of the morning prayers and bringing all the meal to our room.
If to all this you add the amazingly beautiful and historical place that Koyasan is, then you'll have no trouble at all figuring out why we decided to stay there for an extra night.
Every trip to Japan should include Koyasan and, from my experience, I absolutely recommend Yochiin as the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Francisco B
Reviewed 5 November 2014

we really enjoyed our stay here and felt very welcomed by the monks who were extremely friendly. The building itself is stunning and really added to the atmosphere of staying in Koya-San. The room was spacious and clean and so we're all the public baths and toilets. Breakfast and dinner was also good. The only down side is that the baths were not open in the morning and closed fairly early (around 9pm).

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robertwoodland
Reviewed 17 September 2014

We visited Koya-san for a night between longer trips to Kyoto and Tokyo. The Yochiin was a real highlight of our stay; it's a beautifully maintained temple, with manicured grounds and a friendly team running it.

Our room was big and had a little balcony overlooking an internal courtyard garden - we were served tea here when we arrived, then we headed out to look at some of the town's temples. In the evening, we enjoyed the large onsen bath, which we had to ourselves.

The beds (mattresses on the floor, Japanese style) are comfortable, and I slept better here than I did anywhere else in Japan - it's absolutely silent! The morning ceremony was interesting to watch, and it is worth going along to.

Definitely worth noting that we weren't offered dinner or breakfast (other reviews mention these being an optional extra). That said, we got a great deal here, and they were very accommodating with changing our booking.com reservation at late notice. Would certainly return.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank travellerclara
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Rooms are in a temple complex with very friendly staff. It's a memorable experience to enjoy the morning ceremony (starts at 6:30 and takes an hour). You can enjoy the onsen and a supllementary breakfast. Breakfast was very basic compared to other locations we stayed (and it's expensive). Location is good, nice garden and quiet.

Although we liked our stay, we think it's a little bit too expensive for the service offered.

As one of the few temple lodgings this place doesn't serve diner so look out for a dining place (which is quiet difficult to find in Koya san after 5PM).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple