All reviews private onsen ryokan politely yukata spring dinner biei
Reviewed 25 March 2018

My husband and I enjoyed very much this place, even if it is 25 minutes from Biei and we didn´t rented a car we managed with the bus and their shuttle service to visit the area. Friendly and nice staff received us and were very helpful and understanding even with my basic Japanese. Food was delicious and the private bath in our room as a delight.

Room Tip: The private bath in the room was very nice
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eriglezv
Reviewed 15 March 2018

This is a private onsen room I lived, room is cozy, big and clean. Staff are nice and they will try to use English to communicate with us. Welcome snack and tea are good. Hotel can arrange shuttle to and from the train station, just let them know. Dinner is fancy and delicious. Will go back if travel there again.

Room Tip: Private onsen room is the good choice
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gigil169
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

This is a review for Mori no Ryotei (I think the listing is rather inaccurate as the ryokan is listed here as "Biei" instead?). First impressions of this ryokan were good! My family appreciated the beautiful architecture and lovely female front room attendants who greeted us when we arrived.

However, having stayed at 3 other ryokans during our Hokkaido trip ("unfortunately" in this instance, as that gave us more room for comparison), I felt that once the initial impressions wore off, the hotel seemed to lack "heart" or sincere hospitality. Just by way of example, I was rather taken aback when my request for a single additional pillow for my elderly father (with a bad neck/shoulder) was flatly rejected by the evening male front desk staff when I phoned in with my request. I initially thought it was a language barrier issue so I politely requested that he visit my room so I could show him what I wanted. However, when he came in (rather disgruntled) and I politely asked for an additional one (while gesturing smilingly to a pillow in my hands), he told me in no unclear terms (in good English) that each hotel guest was only entitled to one pillow, after which he excused himself with a "Good night". I was left flabbergasted. This is the first time that I have heard of such a hotel policy and for a ryokan which touts itself to be rather high end, I am truly shocked.

Just by way of comparison, during our stay at the Niseko Kombu Onsen Tsuruga Besso Moku no Sho, my request was instantly met with a question of what type of pillow my dad required (6 choices were provided) and a prompt visit to my dad's room with the additional pillow. I believe any hotel should able to accede to this simple request (or am I perhaps expecting too much?). Having read another less favourable review on TripAdvisor of this ryokan's lack of flexibility, I was initially inclined to discount it but it seems like I have encountered another instance of this. I hope that it is just one of their "bad days"!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank koalaze
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Came here with my husband on our honeymoon. We got a room with a private onsen and it was absolutely delightful. Our favorite part of our stay though was dinner and breakfast (which is included with he cost of the room). It was honestly, the best breakfast and dinner we had anywhere on the island. Every course was meticulously crafted to appeal to all of the senses. And you get to roll in wearing a comfy yukata. =)

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy L
Reviewed 26 February 2017

From the time we parked our car, to our checkout, there was not a time we did not enjoy ourselves. Food was INCREDIBLE, served course by course, with a personalized menu too. Rooms were big and clean, and very private. Not to mention there are only 17 rooms in the whole hotel, so staff actually remember you and the room you are in.

Everything is provided for; yukata, pyjamas, socks, slippers, food...there is nothing you can want. This encouraged us to feel like the place was our home. A special mention to the lady who served us during dinner on our first night: We casually mentioned our intention to have a pre-wedding photoshoot the following day. She must have told the front desk because the next day at dinner, we found a printed A3 sized paper, congratulating us. It was a very pleasant surprise!

Service was top notch, attentive and caring at all times. We could not have felt more taken care of during our stay.

One note for travelers: Access was easy for us as we were driving. We recommend driving if you are staying here as it may be difficult to access this place without a car.

This was by far our best accommodation during our 16-day Hokkaido journey. There is nothing I can say that will justify our experience at Mori No Ryotei. We really hope to be back.

Thank you for the very fond memories, Mori No Ryotei.

Daniel & Cheryl