All reviews across the street private room the owner international hostel free tea and coffee the bus two blocks a great stay cafe dorm tours miraflor nicaragua postcards vibe
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

This was one of the most bizarre experience I've had at a hostal. I had left my baseball cap in one of the dorms while I went out for a few hours and it was gone when I came back. I asked the staff if they had picked it up while cleaning and everyone denied it.

The owner asked me to come back in two days to look at the security tapes because her staff are "100%" trustworthy.

I came back the evening of the second day and she told me flat out to leave her hostal. I asked her why and she said "ask your friend." That made no sense to me. I asked her to explain herself then she said that it was because I accused her staff of stealing, which I never did.

So on a Sunday night at 8:30 in the evening I got kicked out.... still wondering why..... so weird.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2017

The rooms here had comfortable beds with good linens, pillows, and towels. Warm showers as well. Open kitchen in case you'd like to cook for yourself, but plenty of restaurants nearby with cheap prices. Laundry service available: $1 per pound.

It was, however, difficult to communicate with the property to try to make a reservation. We finally got our rooms booked 2 weeks before our trip despite being in contact for 2 months.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2017

This is a very quiet and clean hostel. The beds are not super comfortable, but the sheets are clean and even ironed. The dorm I was staying in was bright purple, there was a big shower and a nice toilet (separated from the shower). The supermarket, the central park, the cathedral, the stadium, the library, the museum are all within walking distance (5-10 minutes)

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2017

Sadly, I was present when some Latin people were not accepted in the hostel with a fake excuse. I was later told by the staff, that Latin people are not allowed to stay in the hostel, that this is for our SAFETY (!!!!!) and that Latin people steal so it will be better for westerners to not be amongst Latinos. When I protested I was also told that this is management decision, not official line of course. For our safety. I can't believe that a hostel that does that, actually offers back to the community, seems more like a selling trick. Or not but definitely is racist. I was deeple offended by this and left the hostel the next day explaining why I did so.
If you respect the country you are visiting please do not stay here!

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
cafeluzylunahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Luna International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

The most important thing first: These claims are not true. We do of course allow Latinos, including Nicaraguans, to stay in the hostel. And in fact, they do! We have many guests from Nicaragua and Latin America, and we can prove this easily if you want to take a look in the book where we register all our guests, with their nationalities. We don’t discriminate against anyone, and this is of outmost importance to us. And in our Cafe Luz, across the street from Luna International Hostel, we have a very mixed clientele; travelers, expats and lots of locals. In addition, most of our staff are locals.
We don’t know who told you this. Sometimes we have to ask people to leave if their behaviour require it, for example if they are too drunk, but there is no record of any incident last week where “some Latin people were not accepted in the hostel”, for any reason.
However, we do have a record of your talk with one of our receptionists before you left the hostel. According to her, you told her, what you later wrote in this review. She was puzzled, and tried to tell you that this is not true, and asked you where you got this misinformation, but it seemed like you didn’t want to listen. After you left, the receptionist reported what had happened to the hostel manager, because she thought that it was strange. So when we read this review, we immediately recognized it.
We are very sorry that you somehow got so misinformed about our business. And if you are around, please come to talk with us, so we can get the chance to clear this up completely. We don’t want people to think badly about us, since this is against everything we are working for.

Reviewed 18 November 2016

This is a nice place to stay and the owner gives back to the community. It is not cheap in backpacker terms but not expensive either. There is at least one dorm but overall it is quiet and has a very relaxed, friendly vibe. The Hostel is staffed by local people and not backpackers which I think makes people more respectful. They offer a range of tours - we did the Cigar factory tour and I can say it had more access and was more informative than tours in Cuba. I would happily stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2016