All reviewsacross the streetthe ownerinternational hostelcomfortable bedsa great staycafedormmiraflor
Reviewed 3 November 2015

We had the private double room.

The biggest issue here was the noise! There are several bars in the area and they are very very loud, especially from Thursday to Sunday. If you come from Monday to Wednesday, it's still noisy but not as bad. There is a bar just behind the room and you really feel like you are sleeping in the back of a night club. They usually stop around midnight or 2am, depending if it's the weekend or during the week.

Everything is quiet until 7am. Then, the staff of the hostel will wake you up. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything just like if they were in your room. They start talking and laughing right in front of your door around 7 - 7:30am. I asked them to be quiet because I wanted to sleep more. They went outside to talk, but the next day it started all over again. They did it every single morning.

The other problem we had was with the lady who came to clean the room. She did it well but apparently she did not think it was necessary to close and lock the door after she finished. We spent the whole day visiting Esteli and when we came back in the evening, our door was simply open, anybody could just walk in.

As we had a private room, of course we did not have a locker so it was really: come in, help yourself!

In the end, this hostel is not horrible, but it's not good neither. If you do decide to come here, take good ear plugs, because there is a lot of noise in the evening and early in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laetitia C
Reviewed 27 August 2015

we booked the new family room, as we had young kids.
we came in the late afternoon to find the room was not in the hostel , but in the cafe. one side of the room was behind the kitchen ( closes 10pm) the other toward the cafe ( closes 11:30pm)
The rest of the night we were trapped in the room where in the Bar side ( not only cafe) there was guitar playing , loud singing, clapping, whistling and too much alcohol consumption... we didn't sleep at all and just waited for it to be over...
The manager didn't say anything regarding the location when we made the booking with her, and I wish she would have tested it herself with her own family. to add to the misery the bottom bank bed was so squeaking that every move in that bed could wake the all room....

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Marcus1900I
Reviewed 7 August 2015 via mobile

The location of the hostel is good, you are close to a lot of restaurants and bars. The hostel itself is fine, for 10 dollars for a bed in a dorm room you can't complain. The beds are fine, the bathrooms are ok. Staff are ok too, not overly friendly but not rude. Don't expect luxury

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

I spent a night at Luna Hostel. The dorms were clean and spacious. Bathrooms very clean too. There is a bit of noise though because the biggest room in which I slept was at the corner of a busy street. No window either, just a few rays of light through the doors. No kitchen which I missed. Free (good) coffee at the restaurant next door. The staff was friendly but I did not feel charm in this place.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2015

This is a nice hostel with a small courtyard, which is generally peaceful (depending of course on the crowd that's currently staying at the hostel). The hostel is clean and well-run, and is involved in a number of projects in the community, from literacy projects to the little bin for clothing donations you can contribute to. Everything you need is provided--wifi, towel (for 1USD), water (5 cordobas per 1.5L bottle, which is very reasonable), hot water showers.
Some of the dorm rooms have toilets inside, and others don't. All toilets and showers are cleaned regularly. And the showers have hot water (a first for me in Nicaragua--but then, Estelí was the first place that was cool enough for me to feel I needed it!)
There is a fan in the room but with the cool evening temperatures you'd only really need it if the room is crowded. The dorms have quite a few beds packed into them, but I felt this was worth it for the great central location in a safe area. The price is reasonable, and includes daily tea/coffee at the cafe across the street.
The beds (and most importantly for me, CLEAN) though mattresses sagged slightly.The staff were very friendly, including the cafe staff and the tour operators across the street, who have a number of different trips in the area and the city.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo