Review Highlights
Huge theater

More than 3000 seats are in the theater. It is very well done, easy to come and go. The seats are... read more

Reviewed 20 July 2018
545medva
Budapest, Hungary
Delightful

We liked the production, it was beautiful and of good quality. The theatre is nice and quite... read more

Reviewed 8 August 2017
Tina Q
Moscow, Russia

All reviews open air many places theatre production facilities spectacle seats breeze performers voice row advice tickets opera scenery visitors fans
Reviewed 17 July 2017

This was central to our short break to Lucca so we were determined to enjoy ourselves. Location is a bit out of the way so I would recommend getting the shuttle bus. They operate from Lucca. We picked one up in Viareggio. Cost €30 return for 2. Drops you right at the main entrance. Well worth doing. Dressed for the occasion although this is not compulsory. A couple of cafe bars on site but not as you wold expect with a large venue. I would eat before you arrive. Quite breezy _i would recommend a scarf and lightweight jacket. Sound quality really not consistent and does spoil the performance. If you are going for an overall experience this is okay but opera fans would find this very frustrating. We sat in row 20 and I think anyone behind us would miss quite a bit.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 24 August 2016

A great place. This ugly theatre is set in the most beautiful surroundings and even those with the hardest heart couldn't help but warm to its atmosphere. I had tried to find out where best to park etc but couldn't really find much. The theatres website lacks some basic information as far as I'm concerned. We arrived very early as I wasn't sure we would be able to park (some scary stories on trip adviser ). There is a carpark very close to the theatre that holds about 100 cars? We got there at 6 and but by 7 they had closed the gate. We had a snack at a near by coffee bar, it was ok and not as expensive as I had imagined. We then wandered around the theatre and the few hours went quite quickly. If we were ever to return I would pack a picnic and find a place to sit near the lake-beautiful. Didn't see any public toilets. Entry to the theatre wasn't until about 8.30,we went to the bar. The system there is that you pay for your drinks (there are also snacks available that looked nicer than those we had had outside) then go to the other end of the bar to collect your order. I assumed you could pay for interval drinks then and collect later in the performance, we didn't. People did take drinks and food into the auditorium and no one stopped them. You do need a cushion as the seats are hard. The main issue came at intervals. The theatre is not suitable for the number of visitors. There is one female toilet block which had a queue that can only be decribed as horrific. We saw Tosca and intervals over ran. There was an extremely loud 'clime' which many ignored and return to seats was painfully slow. The performance was solid and acoustics all that would would expect in an open air theatre.
We left(very rudely) as Tosca exited (rather strange animation of her falling-bit like Disney) . My partner thought we would be the only ones leaving the theatre but we joined a throng of people leaving ASAP in order to get out of the carpark. There was a slight panic in the air (but opera fans do panic in a controlled way:) but we got to the car and were away from the theatre in minutes. I'm not sure whether the horror stories about exiting the site are true if you come out later but it wasn't an issue for us, the performance finished at 1 am and we had a two hour drive back but I wouldn't have missed it . Hope this helps .

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Fabulous location for Puccini Operas, centered on the village where Puccini lived for so many years and composed so many of his works. The theatre is spectacular, and the operas are very well produced. The performers and acoustics were very good, I can't share the criticisms some have made of acoustics. The costumes and the dramatic production are great. All in Italian of course, and no subtitles, but if you learn the synopsis not a problem. some tickets do seem to be available at short notice. One special piece of advice - stay at Massaciuccola, the Hotel Le Rotonde, and travel each evening by boat across the lake (€20 return including dinner). Fabulous.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

The opera itself was very good (La Boheme) but getting there was exhausting. When at the head of a long line of traffic we showed our Blue Disabled Badge this was ignored and we were sent with the rest of the traffic. I waited for my son to park and walk back and he said the car was a very long way away. We started to walk slowly with lots of rest stops until we finally reached the stadium only to be confronted with several flights of stairs so be aware if you aren't sprightly don't go. There is bus that goes there but not one to come back!

1  Thank Jelasa
Reviewed 5 September 2015

and the most exzpensive prices for the quality of events offered. Carefully avoid the place, money is not well spent.

Date of experience: August 2015