“Worth a second (and more) visit! Good food, excellent service.”
Review of The Old Ship

The Old Ship
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Trefriw
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Old Ship is an independently owned Free House serving home cooked food and Real Ales which are locally sourced. It is situated in the village of Trefriw in the Conwy Valley and is easily accessed from the coastal town of Conwy or from Betws y Coed on the A5.
Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

Food was absolutely fantastic! Service was excellent too! Not knowing that lunch time officially ended at 2pm, we called the restaurant 20mins before to ask if we could dine in as we were 10mins drive away. The servers were very kind and said it was fine. We had lamb shoulder and peppered pot beef. The lamb was amazing! Beef was a little on the ‘sweet’ side for me but the meat was tender and tasty. Would definitely return for another visit!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (353)

Reviewed 7 June 2021 via mobile

We stayed next door at the b and b for 2 nights and came to the old ship both nights.

Night 1 my partner had sausage and mash with eton mess for dessert. I had cajun chicken salad with chocolate fudge cake and salted caramel ice cream. Our review for this is:

My partner felt he could have done with 3 sausages rather than 2 as he was very hungry after a long walk. We had looked at the menu online beforehand and he was quite looking forward to a steak bur this wasnt on the menu when we went in? So we have considered that in the rating of 4 stars.

The dessert was well portioned and looked good. It also tasted good!

For my meal my salad was lovely but too many tomatoes for my liking and could have had more peppers perhaps or cucumber (just my preference) chicken was verg hot and super tasty! My dessert was lush! Good size and well presented

Night 2:

Partner had sticky toffee pudding and we both had fish and chips! It was lovely! Good size fish lovrly crispy batter not soggy. Chips were nice and plenty of mushy peas. Everything was exscrly what we would expect.

The song choices were interesting....some Christmas songs on? I believe the disc maybe stuck which was a little funny.
.drink choices were ok i had a few differnt gin and my partner tried a few ales.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank Cheriefromnotts
Reviewed 11 September 2020

We had planned to visit Betws-y-coed but when we arrived it was so busy, no parking, everywhere was rammed, so we carried on into Trefriw. so glad we did!
We had the dog so were directed outside - not a problem - its a small pub and a big dog.
The pub has a great outdoor seating area with river views where dogs are welcomed and some outdoor seating under cover which is where we sat.
We had 2 great meals, really well cooked and good value (the veggie option of bean pot with goats cheese was really unusual which was a nice change )
Staff were all friendly.
We will head there again next time we are in the area.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 4 September 2020 via mobile

Excellent food and welcoming and friendly staff - I highly recommend you visit we visited early September we were able to get a table for lunch but you need to book for dinner or you may not get a table. Be prepared for huge portions of food - I couldn’t finish mine and I love my food

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 27 August 2020 via mobile

Great pub, welcoming staff, tasty food, good service, reasonable prices. This was a return visit, and we will come here again if in the area as it is by far one of the better places to eat around betws.

Date of visit: August 2020