“Great Friday offers”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #23 of 75 Restaurants in Heswall
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Description: A traditional public house nested in the pretty village of Lower Heswall, sports are offered and an English foos menu is offered. Food is home made and offers exceptional value for money. You will be given a warm welcome by management and staff
Reviewed 1 December 2017

Visited Friday lunchtime. Fantastic Tuna and Prawn salad. Recommend you try it.
Refurbishment is excellent. I will definitely go again.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Recently reopened after a comprehensive refurbishment this is now a classic village pub serving good food. Parking is always available locally closeby. There is a good selection of cask and other draft ales all in perfect condition. The food offer is well cooked and a reasonable selection of fare to suit all tastes. Get down there and support this traditional British pub!!

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

So we decided to pop into the Black Horse with our kids and two other couples and their kids. We had been for a walk and we fancied a roast dinner after it so booked a table. I had heard that the pub was under new management and had seen painters and workmen in and and out over the past few weeks, so was interested to see what it was like following the refurb. The pub itself was nicely decorated. It has a traditional feel to it with cozy little touches. We went on a Sunday and the only food option was roast dinner for adults and kids. I ordered the beef - which when it arrived was a pretty huge stacked up meal. Plenty on my plate. The food arrived very quickly. The kids portions were a tad too big if I'm honest. My children were a bit over faced by the size - for example the yorkshire pudding was the size of the plate! That's fairly large for an adult nevermind a child. They found it difficult to cut their food up due to the giant yorkshire pud sat on the top of all of it. Perhaps consider smaller yorkshires or half of one for the kids meals. The food itself was nice; hot and tasty. I don't think anyone on our table cleared their plate though as the portions were so generous! The place coped well with our seven children in total and at no point did we feel unwelcome which can sometimes be the case when you rock up with a gang of kids! The staff were all really friendly. The only thing that clouded the visit was that when I came to change my 1 year old's nappy, they didn't have a change table on the wall in any of the loos. I had to change my baby on the floor of the ladies toilet area which is not great. I did ask staff and I was advised that a change table was one thing that hadn't been put in during the refurbishment. I'm hoping that this will change as given it's location at the bottom of School Hill, I think the pub could attract a fair few parents with their kids for lunches or dinners. I would visit again to eat.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Just been with the family for Sunday Lunch. Food was great as was the service. We'll definitely be making it a regular thing.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Heard that the people who had the ferry have this! Wow food didn't disappoint, dinners are amazing, plenty of it! the pub looks great. Found out new local.