All reviewscoach housecourtroom suitemain buildingquiet hotelsuperior roomoutdoor poolscallopscomfortable bedone night stayleather sofasroad noisesunday lunchvisiting cornwallport isaaclovely gardenbreakfast was excellentpoached eggs
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

The hotel is lovely and the staff are perfectly friendly. We returned for Mother’s Day because the food was very good the last time we visited but this time the portions were very small.

I had a prawn and smoked salmon starter. It was so tiny it was more of a taster than a starter, yet the leek and potato soup was a good portion. We had only one small dish of veg (which always annoys me) to share between 3 people. My cheesecake tasted lovely but wasn’t served with cream, my mum’s tart was so tiny it was embarrassing and my husband’s rhubarb crumble was an odd pink goo with virtually no crumble. It all tasted very nice but overall we were sadly disappointed by our second visit.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I stayed on business last week. Company always books standard rooms. The room allocated to me may have affected sleep as at front with some traffic noise. I had an important day the next day and I sleep badly and asked if there was a quieter room. I was upgraded to the Courtroom! Amazing room, so much space and without a doubt one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. All pretty perfect.

The food in the restaurant was of a really high standard and I thought very good value, the venison was beautiful.

I didn't have time for breakfast but left with a bacon sandwich all wrapped up.

Lovely hotel, incredibly friendly and helpful staff nothing too much trouble.

Would recommend and would definitely stay and eat here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank tak1411
Reviewed 2 March 2018

found the hotel listing via Cornwall website and trip advisor, this was very tidy, clean and although an old building, a modern decor style. the breakfast 8am -- 930, had a good selection; various cereals , juices fruits and full English cooked too, the hotel manager and assistants have a good knowledge of the local area for tourism, wifi internet connection is available. no smoking is allowed at all, and a fine will be imposed as stated if this is ignored, dinner 630- 9pm, Sundays 6-8 ,
meals freshly prepared to order, some garden and grounds to view outside as in photos. an outdoor swim pool open when warmer ,
a drying room available for wet clothes and laundry,
a leather bound description pack of the hotel in room,
the dinner meals inc home made soup, beef steak, beer battered fish and large cut chips, venison , local cheeses , desert - gin & lemon cheese cake,
access is good easy, about 20 yards from the main road the A389 from Bodmin,
although you wont hear alot of traffic noise at the hotel rooms,

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2018

I travel a lot with business and have currently decided to support local businesses rather than the corporate types, i.e travelodge, premier inn etc.

I chose this based on feedback.. Check in was great and simple. Room was big warm and equipped. Check out simple.

My main issue was i went to the restaurant for dinner. There were five tables and i went to sit at a table laid for 2.. A waitress immediately stopped taking the order from another table to tell me to wait in the lounge until im called..like some sought of naughty boy, she then walked past me to reception without acknowledging me further, returned to the table and removed one place and then indicated it was ok for me to sit now.

All very patronising.

Room Tip: Quite and clean
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2018

A very good hotel, quaint and full of character, with friendly and helpful staff. Excellent full English breakfast and evening dinner. The head chef could compete against many of the better known celebrity chefs. Off season Cornish Breaks provide excellent value for money. As you would expect in an old hotel with history and character the rooms are very individual and the owner, Alistair, goes out of his way to help you choose a suitable room if you telephone to make your booking.

Room Tip: Rooms on back are best as they are very Quiet
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple