1,051 results
All reviews hot chocolate little touches journey home fishing boats turn down service weather forecast the main hotel coastal path eggs benedict small hotel biscuits small harbour car park bottled water both nights cornish fishing village cakes
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed for 3 nights at The Lugger. We had a room of a good size with a full en-suite bathroom - shower in bath. Bed was comfortable but pillows were polyester and hard. Mini bar was provided but oddly no safe. The restaurant is boutique cafe style with small scrubbed tables. Service was exceptionally slow, the vegetables nearly raw, the fish tasteless and the lamb fatty. Wine by the bottle was expensive. Breakfast service was good and the food well cooked. For the price we paid we expected more so sadly we will not return.

Room Tip: Choose your room well if you want to be privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

We booked a one night dinner bed and breakfast package - the room was beautiful and exactly as described, looking out over the sea. Dinner was yummy with a really nice range of choices - I don't eat seafood but really enjoyed the guinea fowl and the hot chocolate fondant pudding was excellent. We loved the little thoughtful treats, hot chocolate and marshmallows at bedtime and nice bath products. Breakfast was good though the hollandaise sauce in the eggs benedict had a little too much vinegar in - but this didn't spoil things. Staff were friendly and attentive and the whole place had a wonderful charm. A beautiful relaxing stay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jules b
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Beautiful spot out on the balcony - location is just perfect.

Our waiter Andy was lovely, professional but attentive and was easy to talk to - makes such a difference when someone goes beyond just the bare minimum of customer interaction.

Food was lovely! Photos attached.
I had the Chicken Ceaser Salad - I had it without the dressing only due to my diet requirements. It was lovely.
My mother had the grilled haddock (fish of the day) & my father had the battered fish. My parents really enjoyed their dishes.
Dessert: BlackBerry sorbet (for Dad) & I had a trio of Cornish Ice Cream.

We loved it so much that mum & dad are coming here for their anniversary!

Also love the fact they are dog friendly as well - even Pops enjoyed the food All of us can’t wait to return.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2018

I highly, highly recommend The Lugger in Portloe. I booked a room and dinner rate and really can't speak highly enough of the hotel. We also bought along our "canine companion" as they call our four legged friends! The location is beautiful with a lovely coastal walk. The hotel is right on the tiniest of inlet's with 4 boats.
The rooms are spacious and the bed is SUPER COMFY and very large - and, the toiletries smell delicious too. We arrived and had local Korev lager on the lovely terrace. Before dinner we walked up to The Ship Inn for a pre-dinner cider (delicious).
So.....food! The lovely staff brought us an amuse bouche of mackerel ceviche - delicious! Then for starters I had Cornish crab with parsley crostini (YUM) and my hubbie had moules marinieres in the most decadent white wine, cream and onion sauce. For a main course we both opted for the monkfish, lentil dahl, crab samosa and deep fried fennel - V V V GOOD! To accompany our meal we had a bottle of Camel Valley Bacchus (local wine - excellent, dry and minerally - £39). We then had a dessert each creme brulee and chocolate fondant. Then...coffee's and Tia Maria in the lounge (what can I say... we were having a great evening!).
When we arrived back at our room we had been left a hot chocolate with marshmallows :)
The next morning we got up to a beautiful day and breakfast overlooking the inlet. There was a little buffet set up with cereals, pastries, ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurts. Then we were offered juices at the table. The hot breakfast was excellent and ranges from a full Cornish breakfast to poached eggs with mackerel, kippers, Eggs Benedict. On check out we were given a little travel bag of water and mints for our journey.
They are so thoughtful at The Lugger and really care about the whole experience. This is an excellent hotel and restaurant and well worth the journey down to Cornwall. I am sure we will return at some stage as this is a fabulous find and well worth a second visit.
For £215 we had a superior room and 3 course evening meal plus breakfast the next day and all the little extras too. I think this is incredible value for money and you really come away feeling as though you had been thoroughly looked after and fed!
Thank you very much for looking after us.

Room Tip: Top floor may be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2018

The Lugger is quite simply a superb place! The staff – from the manager down - are genuinely warm and welcoming, friendly, efficient and know what they are talking about. Andy in the restaurant is particularly competent and a consummate professional! The Lugger has been under new management for some time, I urge you to disregard negative reviews from before 2016!
The hotel is set in a glorious location, and if you have the good fortune to have sunny mornings; the view of the cove, the peace and tranquility will make you feel you are in paradise!
The rooms are very comfortable and there is an exceptional level of attention to detail, such as the muffins and hot chocolate sachets and marshmallows brought to the rooms during the day.
The restaurant more than lives up to the overall standard of the hotel and the fresh fish dishes of locally caught produce are marvelous!
Top marks The Lugger…..simply superb!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Anne M, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review, it was like a breath of fresh air and just what we needed to see today! At Lugger we all try to exceed expectations and when guests take the time to acknowledge that it really makes all the effort worthwhile. I'll pass on your kind comments to Andy who really is a great asset to my "Lugger Family". I look forward to welcoming you back to Portloe sometime in the not too distant future.