All reviews warm cookies long corridor double tree pub next door nice hotel an older building health club spa break spa facilities doubletree by hilton on arrival listed building good size buffet breakfast nice room nice stay steam room
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here 3 nights on business as part of a large group. I like the Doubletree chain very much, and this place was also very good although it's unusual for a Doubletree as it is in an older building and also has a pool/spa. Plus side was a lovely room, comfy bed, good size and everything looked recently redecorated/refurbished. Be aware that the hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren and there is a lot of going up and down stairs, with no lift. Food was fine, nothing outstanding. Service was variable, some staff were excellent and went out of their way to help, others seemed not to be bothered. There is a nice bar on the ground floor. The pool was a good size but rather tired and when I visited was absolutely packed with splashing kids, obviously the hotel sells a lot of external sports club memberships - I gathered there is adult-only swimming later on in the evening, but I wasn't free to use the pool then. The main issue was the unreliable wifi, it kept cutting out in our meeting room and also stopped working in the bedrooms. I complained, as did other colleagues, and the hotel said they'd get an engineer but the problem continued. This wasn't great when it was a business trip and we all needed to work. Other feedback was lack of a proper chair by the desk in the bedroom, there was only a squashy stool giving guaranteed backache. There was an armchair but it was too big to use with the desk and the table next to it had no plug access.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
IanD3014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear traveller_constant

Thank you very much for your kind review it is much appreciated. I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comments with regards to the service, room layout and wifi I will look into this with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a wedding and so did another couple who we know well and were also going to the wedding. When i booked the confirmqtion didnt show that i had breakfast included so i rang to confirm and also emailed. Both said that i had b9oked and paid for bed and breakfast. When we checked in the person serving us also confirmed this but told our friends who paid pretty much the same that they had no breakfast included and would have to pay. Why not just put this on the confirmation as I'm sure they would have changed the booking to include it had they known beforehand.
When we went to breakfast the next day we were shown to our table and when we were collecting our breakfast the manger ran over to us to demand proof of us having breakfast included as we had only paid for one. I said this must be his error as i had already confirmed this and he demanded to see proof or else he was charging the breakfast to our room. I told him that the confirmation doesnt show anything and that we had it confirmed. Again he said without proof it was our problem to resolve at the checkout and he was charging it to our room. I told him he was NOT and that i didnt have the persons name on the phone who confirmed or the email to hand. My wife then asked him why no one at check in had said anything and how could we confirm something that was never officially confirmed until asked. He wanted to know who checked us in and that he would check then get back to us and was charging to our room. This was all done in the middle of the food in front of everyone.
Whilst eating i searched for the email confirmation and showed it to him on exit. Rather than apologise he said thats okay then you have nothing to worry about and have a good day. No apology or anything.
Add the fact that the room was freezing due to no heating, the wifi not reaching our room and the noise from the pallets being pushed down the hallway and you get a very unhappy customer.
Lovely hotel, awful service from the manager himself. STAY AWAY unless you have full confirmation of everything and know that he is on holiday.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mehmet t
IanD3014, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Mehmet

Thank you for your review, I am so sorry to hear that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you had experienced with breakfast, cold room and connection to the wifi. I would like to assure you that I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your stay, please feel free to contact me on 01242 222021 to discuss this further.
Kind regards Ian Dick General Manager

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Hotel was a lovely location. Had everything we needed facility wise and just a short distance from Cheltenham town. Kind and helpful staff whom helped organise last minute room changes. They also helped with the set up of our conference room and provided a delicious lunch. All staff had access to the gym & pool, and the bar area was a great atmosphere to relax after a day of work.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Ian D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Dear Neil,

Thank you very much for your kind review it is much appreciated. I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

We booked a standard room for 1 night on the 22nd June. We were allocated a deluxe room 447 as we are Hilton Honour members and given cookies on arrival. The room was quite nice, large, comfortable bed, but it was during the nice weather and with no air con in the rooms and 1 small fan on the wall it was quite hot in the room. There is also no fridge in the room. In the morning we decided to get a coffee from the bar as we saw they advertised starbucks, so thought that would taste better rather than making instant from the kettle, that privilege cost over £7 for a small coffee and a tea!! We didn't have time to try out the facilities in the hotel, but would have done if we have had longer.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear kelwez,

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Nice little get away with my large family. Check in easy and quick. Rooms very clean but a lot of difference in room size with 2 out of 5 rooms. The accessible rooms were a lot bigger in size and had better amenities (water, gown, slippers). Amenities should be the same in every room. No ice machine but can get ice from the bar. Warm cookie for each guest at check in. Small but nice pool area but should not be cordoned off for serious swimming when it is too busy with hotel guests that are relaxing. No lift in the property, even the accessible rooms are down stairs and difficult for older guests. Breakfast is stunning, definitely worth the money. Very relaxing stay, would definitely stay here again. Good location. Restaurant next door also offers good food.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Ian D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Dear Iwa,