DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
The George Hotel(Cheltenham)
View Hotel
All reviewswarm cookiesdouble treelong corridorspa breaknice hotelbuffet breakfastspa facilitiespub next doorsteam roomon arrivaldoubletree by hiltonlisted buildingafternoon teanice stayno air conditioningnice roommain building
Reviewed 14 February 2018

This was booked as a present for my birthday by my girlfriend. She was absolutely gutted after we stayed here as she felt she was misled by the hotel pictures and descriptions.

1) After being welcomed by very friendly reception staff, we were given our room key. The room we were given was smaller than the box room i had to put up with through my childhood. We shared a SMALL double bed, this pretty much took up the whole room, There was barely any space between the bed and the walls, and on one side the radiator stuck out into most of this room. My girlfriend actually stepped on it during the night when getting out of bed. Once we had 2 hand luggage cases in the room we could barely move in it.
2) The pool was horrible. It looked like a dingy council run pool, smelled like really strong chlorine. This was crowded and full of kids, absolutely no chance of actually swimming in it, and if you did you would be turning every 5 seconds as it was nowhere near as big as pictures suggested. There was hair at the side of the pool and again was very small and claustrophobic.
3) The jacuzzi looked very unappealing, plus it was always full, there were strangers having to press up against each other just to fit in. We couldn't actually bring ourselves to use the steam and sauna due to, again, poor cleanliness.
4) The massages we had included from our Spa Break booking were thoroughly disappointing. It was more of a gentle rub. When asked to increase the pressure there was no change, i left the massage feeling no better than i did before i had it. I wish we'd saved our money and had a real massage back home somewhere.
5) After ordering room service the note said to leave the tray outside the room and they'd collect it. The tray remained there after checkout, maybe its still there who knows!
6) In order to get to the spa, we had to walk (in our gowns and slippers) through a christening party. This was very embarrassing as people suited up were filling the room, and we were stared at by everyone. The only other option was to walk outside through the car park, baring in mind it was 0 degrees. Not the best choice!
7) The walls were so hollow we were able to hear the couple next door having sex. Not faintly, we heard every noise!
8) Dinner was an exception, this was actually very nice.

Room Tip: Only the king size would be bareable. Avoid the double at all costs.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon A
NeilParryHilton, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Simon

I am sorry that you had a poor experience at the hotel and apologise if you feel misled.

We are very open to all feedback and can assure you that all of your comments have been discussed with the whole management team and corrective actions will be taken where needed.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

Regards

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Good size room and Comfy bed.
Friendly reception

Unfortunately the leisure facilities were a real let down.. The pool looked cloudy and dirty. When I saw a used plaster float by it was time to leave!

Unfortunately the steam room wasnt working and the jacuzzi seemed to have sand in the bottom??

Back to changing room - cold shower :(

Mentioned it on check out and receptionist to be fair was very good and apologised.

And gave us an extra hilton cookie.... (lol)

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Myself and my wife stayed on a Saturday night.

The staff were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble.

Our room was a little small but for one night was adequate (if you have a longer stay a larger room would be advisable) with a nice view of the lake. It also has a safe.

We had dinner at the Lakeside Restaurant. The three course meal was very good, again the staff were excellent. The same restaurant was used for breakfast which was plentiful and of good quality. We stayed on a weekend and noticed breakfast could could get very busy so choose your time or may have to wait to get seated.

We did not use the leisure facilities. It is next door to a golf course if you like a round.

A nice hotel on the outskirts of Cheltenham ideal for exploring the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: Our room was quite small so you may need a larger room if you have a longer stay.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
NeilParryHilton, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Hi Adrian S

Its so good to see that you had a nice relaxing stay with us Saturday.

The team is always keen to help in any way possible and I'm glad that you saw this.

I have shared your feedback with the whole team as we really appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Four family members on a weekend break.easy to find good rooms with a good breakfast short taxi ride will get you into the town centre.we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would stay again the pool and sauna also good...............................................................................................................

Stayed: February 2018

Hi geoffrey45
Its great to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I'm really pleased that you enjoyed breakfast and that you liked the pool & sauna.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

The room I was given when I checked in was like a shoe box, absolutely tiny with only two plug sockets (either side of the bed) either side of the bed so using the kettle was a no go. I went down to reception and asked for another room as was given an "upgrade" to a queen deluxe which was still very small but at least it had plug sockets so I didn't make further complaint. I completed the room service order form and placed it outside my room around 10pm and in the morning wondered why my breakfast didn't arrive, checked outside and the order form was still there and had not been collected!!! By this point it was too late to go to the restaurant for breakfast as I had somewhere to be so no breakfast for me. The receptionist when I checked in was very helpful and arranged for some still water to be delivered to my room. Overall the experience was disappointing due to the room sizes and breakfast therefore I would not stay again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business

Dear Ceallaigh17
I'm sorry that your room service order wasn't collected and delivered during your stay.
A vast selection of our rooms are of different sizes and dimensions in-keeping with the country house feel and aesthetic of the hotel.
Please rest assured that I have raised this issue with my team as to find out why this order was missed. As we appreciate, breakfast sets our guests up for the day and always want to make sure we deliver.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback