1,082 results
All reviewsafternoon teathe main housebeautiful hotellovely groundsexclusive usefour posterextensive groundsmanor housewedding venuewedding breakfasthandpicked hotelscountry hotela la carte menucream teasconesenjoyable staywedding reception
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed in the Browning Room in the stable block with our 9 month old son. We booked a last minute deal and I assume we got the larger room as we needed space for the travel cot provided. The room was large, large bed plus a single and a travel cot. Room for 2 armchairs, chest of drawers & 2 beside tables. All well decorated and clean. However no bedding provided in the travel cot for the baby. The bathroom was outdated and needed refurb but was clean. Access to out room was...interesting. Down a long corridor with a sloping roof and wooden beams with a very low ceiling. My husband who is 6ft5 struggled and it was very claustrophobic. However the room has a normal ceiling height. Breakfast was good, highchair provided for the baby. We ordered room service, I had steak and guiness pie which was made fresh and was amazing, my husband ordered chicken burger, however, they had run out of buns so he ended uP with chicken in a baguette, but was charged the same price.
The only downside was the shape of the bed, we worked it out tobe about 5 1/2 feet wide but less than 6th long, both our feet hang out the end! Looking at the floor plan of the block you could see our room was the largest & I wonder what size room we would have got if we didn't have the cot in the room.

However for the money £99, it was good value.

• Stayed: August 2011
ChilstonParkHotel, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Dear Sir / Madam,
thank you for review and thank you for your ratings. I am sorry that the travel cot was no in the room on arrival, but trust that this was rectified immediately. Obviously I am pleased that you enjoyed the food. As for your room allocation, sue to the age of the building all rooms are different - in decor and size. When allocating rooms we take into consideration if an extra bed is required or not.
Once again, I am pleased and would like to thank you for the top ratings in value, service and location

Reviewed 1 September 2011

I did not stay at the hotel, but went for Sunday lunch. The surroundings are pleasant enough, but the set lunch was disappointing and the wine at £9 per glass overpriced. We had some sort of savoury mille feuille for starters - adequate. The lamb for the main course was tough, tasteless and full of gristle. The portions of vegetables - potatoes anna and green beans - were small and uninteresting. The dessert was supposedly an ice cream mousse but neither we not the waiter could see how it was described as mousse since it was a pleasant but simple icecream. I cannot comment on the hotel facilities but I would not eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Sir / Madam,
thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disspointed with the food offering. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with our Head Chef to make ammends. Whilst we strive for a high standard in our food offereings, I apologise that we have not met your expectations this time.

I would like to thank you for the high rating on service however, and hope that you will consider the Chilston Park Hotel with it's award wining "Culpepers Restaurant" in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed here whilst visiting family nearby, there was nothing too much trouble for the staff. The food was ok but we mainly ate out in Maidstone.

The room was clean and comfortable and I will definitely rebook next time we are here.

Room Tip: Happy helpful staff

Dear Sir / Madam,

thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you as well for your complimentary comments towards our staff.

I hope you will choose our hotel next time when visiting your family nearby or use another Hand Picked Hotel collection.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay as part of my Boyfriends Birthday present and stayed here at the end of Aug.
After reading many negative reviews on here regarding this hotel I was a bit apprehensive, so the question is was I right to be apprehensive?????????, well my review is a real mixed bag.

Upon arriving the views were beautiful and the house itself looked very grand from the exterior, check in was a breeze and we were shown to our room by a porter (nice touch) reception even called up to the room about 10 minutes later to see if we needed anything (good customer care).

Our Room
We stayed in the Gilt Room which was a double deluxe. The room was luxurious although did seem a little tired and tatty in places , but I thought this added to the charter of the old building. I was a little let down by the bathroom, the Bathroom itself was big and the bath tub was also big but the shower was over/in the bath and there are signs of age i.e little bit of mould and mildew on the tile grout, yes I am being picky but remember this is a double deluxe – one grade down from a master suite, I would have liked a more luxurious bathroom
The bed was a lovely huge four poster bed and was soooo comfy , we slept very well

Food and Drink
We did not eat in the main restaurant as we wanted something a little more relaxed and the main restaurant (Culpeper's) looked far from a relaxed vibe quite formal in fact.
The other area you can eat is in the lounge bar, bound to be more relaxed right?!?- wrong. It has all the right furniture to be relaxed but the atmosphere was not relaxed at all it was so quiet and felt (dare I say) I little pretentious (for a ‘lounge area) , it was so quite that at one point I felt like I was in a library and when my boyfriend made me laugh (out loud) I felt like I was being inappropriate.
We had a few (overpriced) drink and order food to the room instead.
Food was good but SO OVERPRICED £££££ , OMG a fancy Chicken burger and chips was almost £18 , a Prawn Cocktail=£13- ok so now I’m moaning but didn’t think the food was worth the high prices, p.s they charge you £4 for a room service trip which I guess is sort of standard but the waiter forget 2 things on 2 occasion – annoying, needless to say reception took the room service charges off the bill.
Breakfast to the room the next morning was lovely

Anyway to sum up my review, A charming and lovely place but really needs improvement in some areas, I paid £149 for my stay (that was a room and Breakfast, nothing else) was it worth it?, hhmmmm I’m just not sure it was.

Would I stay again?- No , but this place in definitely worth a visit

Dear Sir / Madam,
thank you very much for your time and trouble to review and rate our hotel at tripadvisor. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with my team. Whilst I am obviously pleased about your overall rating and complimenatry comments towards the building and welcome experience.
We constantly compare our food and beverage prices with other similary rated hotels and restaurant in the area. I have taken your comments on board and we will certainly continue to monitor our bar-prices.
I have taken the liberty to share your feedback with my team to address the various items you addressed. Thank you very much for your constructive feedback and I hope you re-consider and stay with us again in the future.

Geenral Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel has a pretty, rural setting and some very nice old features in the public rooms but the bedrooms are very ordinary, a little tired, not very big and it is very overpriced. It does not have a luxury feel to it at all. More like a stale sandwich in a Harrod's hamper.

Dear Sir / Madam
thank you for your recent stay and for your review. I am sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. We have a long term maintenance program in place which will address areas you referred to. Please be assured that your feedback is helpful and will be taken into account when we plan other upgrading projects.

I would also like to thank you for your high ratings on cleanliness and service, which are of course encouraging.