All reviews afternoon tea wedding venue scones garden room the main house perfect wedding day wedding breakfast wedding coordinator bridal party exclusive use a living social voucher bride and groom lovely evening lovely venue eggs benedict cream tea beef
Reviewed 28 October 2018

We decided to treat ourselves to afternoon tea at a very nice hotel outside Newcastle.I opted for the gentleman tea and was spoilt with delicious chefs own steak pie and scotch egg with a onion relish. There was the usual cakes that you expect and trifle washed down with prosecco. The better half had the normal tea with scones cream and jam which was also excellent. Claudio and the staff were very friendly and made us very welcome.

Stayed: October 2018
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2018

Dear TonyBarrett

Our new afternoon tea offering has been receiving fantastic reviews lately and its great to hear it did not disappoint.

Its good to hear Claudiu and the team made you feel welcome throughout the afternoon, I will pass on your kind words to the team who will be delighted with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

We turned up a bit early as our lunch wasn’t booked in until 12 noon. So me and hubby had a nose about the different rooms and naturally I took some photos. We had coffee to start with and even though we were the only ones there, nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were tending to all the last minute tidying up.
We chose starters and mains. I had a roasted baby beetroot salad with quails egg and my hubby had a smoked mackerel parfait with toast and a salad garnish. I have to say these were fairly small portions and I realised then that this was fine dining. In that case you have to slow down and taste every morsel as you’re always in for a surprise with the tastes. The beetroot were all different colours and tasted like they had been marinated in sparkling wine which made the flavours dance around in your mouth. The quails egg was cooked to perfection. My hubby’s smoked mackerel parfait he said, didn’t taste like the fish you buy from a supermarket counter, it was like they smoked it themselves. Really delicious. We both chose roast belly of pork for our mains. This arrived with good timing after we digested our starter. The warm plates were served to us with a proud looking good sized piece of belly pork which sat on a bed of buttery creamed potato, very lovely, with a sauce or jus draped over the pork. It was accompanied by I can only imagine was I thought were tiny pieces of crackling but tasted a bit like popcorn! Also on the plate was puréed apple sauce. And a serving of heritage carrots which for those who don’t know, are purple,the original colour of carrots. We chose not to have an array of vegetables as pork is quite filling. I must say, that with belly pork one tends to be aware of the amount of fat on that cut of meat, but we were pleasantly surprised. It must have melted away in the cooking process as it was meaty, very tasty and we hardly left a scrap. Altogether very delicious.
We sat in a beautiful dining room which quickly filled up with other couples. The room was light and area with well appointed decor. Nice and quite on a Monday lunch time. The views from all of the windows were very pretty autumnal shrubbery and greenery from all aspects of this beautiful old country house.
The lady who mostly attended to us was called Roxanne and we both agreed that she was indeed a wonderful hostess and for the service alone I would recommend anyone to dine here or even stay as it is after all a hotel. I took lots of photos but I can only put a few on here. Horton Grange Hotel is licensed for weddings and there is a much bigger dining hall for larger parties, again with an air of light and space.
Down side? The toilets were a bit cramped and could do with a bit of a refurbishment. I don’t know if there are any more upstairs. There generally is in places like this, known as the powder room. It’s very exclusive place and a lovely romantic venue for couples. Would I come again? Yes I would but I have to admit that I was here with a complementary voucher from a well known car company for purchasing a new model.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

Dear lynneturner1

Its fantastic to read such high praise, I will certainly pass on your very kind words to Roxanne and the Team who I am sure will be delighted.

Our Head Chef has just recently changed the menu and I am sure both Chef and his Team will be thrilled with your feedback.

We always strive to improve both our service and product therefore it is always nice to hear such a glowing review.

I am sure I speak for all at Horton Grange when I say we cant wait to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2018

Our daughter was married at Horton Grange on 28th September, a few weeks ago now, and along with all of our family and guests, we can't praise the staff at Horton Grange enough for their part in making our weekend so special and the wedding day the best day ever! Nothing was too much trouble for every single member of staff. All of the team were professional and they certainly know how to host a wedding, a special mention must go to Glenn who couldn’t be faulted and to Roxanne who was so friendly and helpful. Our wedding breakfast was exceptional, dancing throughout the courses, none of the waiting staff complained about having to avoid dancing guests to serve the tables. The grounds are amazing and our photographer captured some wonderful shots throughout the day. The bridal party stayed overnight at this beautiful venue and all had a great nights sleep, no complaints at breakfast the next morning, which was extensive and all freshly prepared....no dried up buffet breakfasts here! From start to finish, planning through to execution all the staff could not have been more helpful or professional.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Horton Grange to anyone either as an intimate, exclusive wedding venue or for a few days stay in the beautiful county of Northumberland.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent, this includes the garden rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Dear TTurk

Its fantastic to hear everyone had a great afternoon and I must say it was a pleasure to see such a happy bunch of guests dancing throughout the afternoon.

I will certainly pass on your very kind words to both Glenn and Roxanne who I know will be delighted with such praise.

Great news to hear the bridal party enjoyed their nights stay and its so pleasing to hear you would recommend us to future potential Brides and Grooms.

Once again thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We first found Horton Grange back in 2017 when we were searching for a wedding venue. As soon as we walked in we knew we had found the place where we wanted to get married, both for the ceremony and for the reception.

Our meetings with Emma the events manager on the lead up to our day were handled professionally and put us at total ease.

Horton Grange is both big enough for a large number of guests - with many rooms and gorgeous outside areas for people to spread out - plus small enough that if you have a smaller number of guests it's not looking sparse.

In the twelve months leading up to our wedding we visited Horton Grange for lunches and dinners to show our family members the venue ahead of the day, the food and service is impressive and everyone loved it. In fact one of our Grandparents who had a distance to travel decided to drive to the venue a week in advance so he could find it, the staff looked after him and made him a pot of tea!

On our wedding day the staff were so accommodating, anything we asked for was not too much trouble and it was quite literally 'the best day ever'. Thing are handled by the staff with pure expertise. Glen was our co-ordinator on the day and he really knows his stuff when it comes to weddings.

The food is quite possibly the best we have ever experienced at any wedding we had been to - we are just so glad it was at our own wedding. The guests could not have complimented this any higher.

The grounds lend themselves brilliantly for photography and our photographer was able to be super creative using the backdrops available.

Thank you for making our day so special.
Jonathan & Rosalie.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear Jon W

Its great to hear everything was handled professionally by Emma in the build up to your special day.

Also good to hear Glenn and the team looked after you so well on the day, I will pass on your very kind words to the team.

Finally fantastic news regarding your food, I know the kitchen team will be delighted with such feedback.

I am sure I speak for all at Horton Grange when I say we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Absolutely fabulous food, couldn't fault it. Have been several times previously and food was as wonderful as ever.
My main dissapointment was that the restaurant was closed off and decorated ready for a wedding. We were later told that it is no longer used as a restaurant because people don't really use it. I found that rather odd as I was using it and was paying for what I thought was a lovely evening in a first class restaurant. I was not concerned that we might be the only people in. I was booking, I thought, an experience I had had many times before. However we were seated in the lounge area which had been turned into an eating area stroke lounge. Seven small tables huddled together with sofas huddled together at the other end.
Thankfully we were the only ones eating otherwise it would have been very uncomfortable as everyone would have been listening to each other's conversation.
On asking why the changes we were told by the girl serving us that the main restaurant is now a wedding venue and set out as such for people to view. And that it was done to save them having to keep changing things and moving furniture for weddings. I wish I'd been told that upon booking. It is lovely sitting in the main restaurant eating lovely food and bring waited in professionally regardless of how many people are booked in. HOWEVER we were shoved into a makeshift dining area in what used to be a lovely lounge.
We still paid restaurant price and ordered from restaurant menu but felt as if we had booked a meal at a b&b.
Also although the girl working there was pleasant she was going about her chores as she was the only one working that evening. Setting tables for breakfast and generally not making our pleasant evening out a very relaxed pleasant one.
She also informed us that it was a new general manager and most of the old staff had left also to work with previous manager.
I'd have a rethink before you book if you have been before because it certainly isn't what I was expecting. Although the food is second to none.
I'd return in a heartbeat if I was being sitted in the main restaurant and being served by an attentive waiter rather than someone serving us, cleaning and doing chores all at the same time!.
What a shame.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HG_General_Manager, General Manager at Horton Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Dear mississippi3

Firstly it is good to hear you enjoyed your food during your evening, I am sure my Head Chef and Kitchen Team will be delighted.

I am however a little disappointed at your comments towards our restaurant and although you are very much entitled to your view, I do feel I need to justify some of the points.

Firstly our dinning room was indeed moved into the smaller lounge area not to save moving furniture as suggested, this decisions was actually taken due to the fact Horton Grange is a very popular wedding venue and to allow potential Brides and Grooms to see the venue in its full glory.

We do feel the new dinning experience is far more suited to create an intimate and relaxed dinning experience for our midweek custom with its two open fires helping to create a very relaxed experience.

We decided to leave the sofas in one side of the room as some of our guests prefer to have afternoon tea on a soft comfy sofa rather than a high back dinning chair. I fully understand this is personal preference however feedback towards moving the dinning room has been very well received.

We do still offer the larger dinning room as private hire and we often serve Sunday lunch in there, however as stated above we do feel the smaller more intimate dinning room is far more suited to our mid week custom.

I would like to point out only two members of staff have followed the previous General Manager and not most of the team as you suggest.

I apologise if the staff member was not attentive during your evening, I will discuss this with the member involved as this is certainly not the kind of service we pride ourselves on.

It would have been nice to have discussed the issues you experienced in a far less public forum however you are certainly entitled to your opinion therefore thank you for your review.