“Love this place! ”

Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Martock
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Not the most modern or pristine but I just love this place. The landlord Peter is so friendly. The welcome and quality of food and service are a fabulous discovery.
The rooms have lovely crisp white sheets and are always clean and well appointed although in need of a bit of updating.
Stayed for work previously but loved the experience so much that engineered an opportunity to take my husband - he loved it too!

1  Thank claire s

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

What a brilliant find. Olde world village hotel
Amazing. Warm friendly welcome. Good sized, very clean rooms.
Good good and drink. Two lovely little restaurants , but it's no problem if you want to eat in the bar. Friendly locals, parking and beautiful surrounding areas.
Superb.

1  Thank Suzan s
Reviewed 21 July 2017

Stopped off on the way back from Cornwall - it was about halfway - found it 'en route' using Tripadvisor and took a chance.

Not a vast range of choice, but it was varied enough to cater for the tastes of all the family - restaurant was quite quiet, but there were a number of people eating in the bar area. Food took a little while to arrive but it was piping hot when it came and was very well cooked. Small range of desserts and ice cream but again my panna cotta was delicious. 4 mains, 4 desserts, 2 alcoholic and 2 soft drinks came in at just under £20 a head which we thought was excellent value for money.

It is only 5 mins off the A303, so well worth a stop if you are travelling to or from Devon or Cornwall - much nicer than the Little Chef alternative!

RECOMMENDED

2  Thank lucky_luke61
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

The friendly staff offered us a choice of seating locations, and we chose the restaurant room at the front of the hotel. As well as the regular steak menu, there were a good range of chef's recommendations; we started with Waldorf salad, while our friend had scallops (very good) - the salads were really delicious with plenty of walnuts. We then had the monkfish (pictured), vegetarian green Thai curry (with a side dish of tasty chips - we were hungry!) and the chick pea pie (pictured; which came with its own chips). Both were very good, with very generous servings. Desserts included the apple pie and the Victoria sponge with berries (both with ice cream) but we were already pretty full and struggled (slightly) to finish. Staff were attentive without being overbearing. Overall excellent and strongly recommended.

1  Thank Tauny S
Reviewed 21 May 2017

Came in for lunch. Not much for those who are gluten free and don't want a massive meal at lunchtime - though there are jacket potatoes. I ended up having triple cooked chips with cheese (which was OK, though the cheese didn't have a great deal of flavour) and a mixed salad (nice enough, and good home-made dressing). One of my dining companions had hunter's chicken with chips and salad, a very generous portion that she struggled to finish; I had to help. The other, a vegetarian, ordered the mushroom and stilton baguette, which he'd eaten here before and enjoyed. The difference was, last time it had come with cooked mushrooms, this time they were raw which he didn't like. He likes to make a fuss even less, so I mentioned the problem to our server, who said weakly 'er I'm sorry about that' rather than the 'oh dear, let me take that away again and bring it back with cooked mushrooms' which we would have preferred. Decent drinks, nice enough atmosphere, comfy place (if a bit chilly) - but I wouldn't hurry back.