“Very nice food and accommodation”
Review of The Checkers

The Checkers
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

We had a pleasant meal and overnight stay at the Checkers, with breakfast in the morning. The accommodation was of good quality, and the 6 course dinner was really well delivered. As it is a one siting dinner we arrived in the bar area at the requested time for an aperitif and canapé. The 6 course meal with optional wine parings, which included a salmon starter and beef Wellington as the main dish was all precisely cooked. The waiting staff were friendly and knowledgable, which added to the relaxed and sophisticated atmosphere of the spacious wooden beamed dinning area. The Checkers is one to recommend for the quality of food and accommodation.

1  Thank Richard G

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

I was told they don’t open for lunch but our hosts had organised one for around 20 guests. Well what to say except, very impressed with the food and service. Worthy of a five star review.
Arrival was welcoming and some lovely Amuse-Bouche, check out the Dover soul cooked to perfection and a very different slant on serving a fish dish. Well done chef. The wines were excellent, well chosen NJ. This was a gentleman’s lunch and I would love to return and take the Mr’s. See you again soon. MTH.

1  Thank staffsfoody
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Having only phoned that morning I was pleasantly surprised that we could reserve a table at this popular restaurant. I had heard great things about it from family and colleagues at work... decided to stay the night too so we could enjoy the evening fully and try the flight of wines that accompanied the meal... food was excellent as you would expect from a Michelin Star chef... if I’m honest the flight of wine was a mistake for me (I’m no fan of Sauvignon Blanc, the red was too heavy for me and and the vintage port with the cheese was again too much) Service was great as you’d expect and we were made to feel very welcome

1  Thank Tim G
Reviewed 30 July 2018

We had a wedding anniversary coming up and, rather than a night in a hotel with a modest meal, we decided to splash out and have a gourmet meal at The Checkers; local to us but, as is often the case, one tends not to try 'local'.

Now, I must admit I am something of an anxious diner, verging on a closet vegetarian - any pink in the meat and I'm trying to persuade my other half to swap dishes. So why on earth book a six course tasting menu at a Michelin starred restaurant, you may well be asking?!

Well, the beauties of a tasting menu? The dishes are, by definition, small (but tasty) - if you aren't sure about something, then the quantities are not huge and there are five other courses to try - and you both receive the same dish, so no menu envy, no wishing you had chosen what your other half did, because their dish looks so much tastier than yours.

As to the Michelin Star? The slight worry is that it will be all about the star and that you might actually feel uncomfortable, we've all been somewhere like that; but with The Checkers -the moment we walked through the door, we knew this was somewhere special, no airs and graces, just a genuine desire to make diners feel comfortable and have a wonderful evening.

We never visited The Checkers in it's former life as a pub on Broad Street in Montgomery, but assume that the new owners have opened up the interior of the building, since you walk into a light and airy, large space; but with all the beams and character features retained. Furniture is simple and decor minimalist and tasteful.

Walking through to the back of the building there is a bar with sofas, chairs and tables and a small outside space with seating. Diners are invited to have a drink whilst viewing the menu and deciding on wine to accompany the meal (the wine list was extensive and expensive, but we did really enjoy our Cahors red). Canapes are served whilst in the bar - the most amazing octopus in Thai sauce and another chicken dish.

We started our meal with a Fennel and Cumin Veloute, creme fraiche and pumpkin seeds, served in coffee cups, with a platter of a selection of breads. My other half said that if they had brought another tray of bread, he would have happily ended the meal there and felt that he had got his money's worth. The bread was amazing, to quote a nursery rhyme we 'licked the platter clean'.

An orange and passionfruit granite cleared our palate for the main course.

The pork main dish was delicious (if there was pink I just didn't notice). Dishes are beautifully presented, almost like a painting; if you are one of those people who can never decide whether to bite off the head or the feet of a jelly baby or a Malteser bunny, then you are going to struggle to start the plate off and spoil the art.

For dessert we had raspberry souffle with vanilla ice cream. Sounds simple but the raspberry soufflé was hot (not what we had been expecting) and, as we plunged our spoons in, they came out with whole raspberries aloft. The ice cream was served in a mini pastry basket and, once again, it all looked beautiful.

We demolished the cheese board - a mix of French, Welsh, soft and hard cheeses, served with oatcakes, biscuits and more of the delicious bread.

We thought we would go the whole hog and finish with coffee. I think I should have just ordered an espresso because the full cup was in danger of pushing me over the edge in terms of feeling full, not least because the coffee arrives with a mini plate of chocolates.

Service was efficient and so friendly, laid back and relaxed, no feeling that your table was needed later; we could have asked for a break between courses if we liked. The dishes were explained to us as they arrived, wine was topped up regularly and we were asked at intervals whether we needed anything.

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, but not just the meal -the whole experience, which lasted around three hours plus; it was special but also relaxed, memorable. Well worth a visit for a special occasion or just to have the experience if your budget allows. If you baulk at the price, then break it down into courses and take into account the quality and it is remarkably good value - a real asset for sleepy mid Wales.

2  Thank FiftyFifty5050
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Had a fabulous meal and a good night. Staff friendly and attentive whilst not all over you. Dining room spacious so you did not feel crowded. Menu is a set tasting menu where they will cater for dietary needs where possible. Food was fabulous and the evening was great.

1  Thank Toriesin