“Super Hotel in Suberb Location”

Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Headlam
UK
“Super Hotel in Suberb Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is one of the best hotels in the Darlington area. Excellent food and service. Rooms are very good and comfortable. Good Spa.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We first stayed here two years ago for a Valentines weekend and found everything about the hotel to be first class. As I wanted a special place to "pop the question", I was looking for character and charm along with the best service, and had no hesitation in coming here.

Booking; Sophie on reception was warm, efficient and very helpful.

Booking in was a pleasant and friendly affair, with us being escorted to the room and the features pointed out to us. The requested red roses were beautifully displayed and simply stunning.

The Room: This time we stayed in a Junior Suite. It was clean, well equipped and comfortable. Heating was easily adjusted (unlike a 4* hotel we had stayed in a few months before), the shower was as hot as you liked, and the suite had a lovely period "feel" to it.

Food: Dinner was a delight. The menu was good, and had 2 choices more than the 4* hotel mentioned earlier. When the food arrived it was perfect, as was the service. We wanted champers, but as we don't drink much debated whether a full bottle for two was likely to have us under the table, so settled for a glass each. However the very helpful waitress came back with the news that they had half bottles, which was really thoughtful as it gave us the cooler by the table touch. My (by now) financee loves chocolate brownies, and although these were on another menu were easily arranged when requested and were delicious! We dined in the smaller and more intimate pannelled room, and the service was timely without being hurried or us being forgotten about. Coffee was taken in the lounge, a lovely room that rounded off the evening beautifully.
Breakfast was also up to this standard, for both food and the service received.

My fiancee and I (I love saying that!) have been lucky enough to have stayed in a variety of hotels, and what I like most about here is that they have the balance between a welcoming family feel and efficient service absolutely right. I could name some hotels that should send their staff here to see how things should be done, but instead will just say that they made a special occasion a wonderful one. The only thing that could have made this visit even better was my fiancee uses a magnifying mirror at home, and would have liked one in the room. However, we didn't ask for one, so we don't know if there was a mirror that could have been suplied.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is a beautiful hotel full of history, ellegance and character. You have the best of both worlds , modern luxury which is in the spa building or if you like antiques and english aristocracy go for the main hall. We opted for the spa with its direct lift from the rooms, only 1 floor ( can go down in your dressing gown, also provided but no slippers) we also wanted to use the pool and gym facilities which were excellent and whilst hubby was using the golf course I treated myself to a thalgo facial, a must have for you ladies it was fantastic. They also have a workout studio where classes were held throughout the day. The surrounding area is also beautiful but beware of the road leading up to the hotel as it is not very wide we have a range rover which made passing a bit scary, well for me anyway, hubby wasnt fazed! . The restaurant has a very good if not small menu but all choices were fantastic they even give you an appetiser to start and a sorbet mouth refresher inbetween courses, the restaurant itself is glorious, an orangery, full of natural light or there is an oak panelled room if you prefer both adorned with fine china, linen and silverware. Now I dont know about you but I really hate self service breakfasts, you know the ones? dodgy do it yourself toast maching, cheap replica cereals, dried out bacon and rubbery eggs, well this hotel is a pukker, sit, and be waited on establishment with a fab choise of locally sourced produce, the sausages are to die for, there is nothing I can fault at this hotel and I still fail to see why its only a 4 star but then again, if they get that extra star then the prices would rocket up and we dont want that do we my fellow travellers go check it out you will so love it, honest.

Room Tip: spa rooms are more modern with bigger beds (superkings) we stayed in Laurel room which looked out ov...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank christinawfletcher
Wokingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

My family have lived close by Headlam Hall and untill our visit considered it to be the place to go for a "special" event. True, it is many years since we have been but the contrast between the recent experience and that of the past is stark. This is not the prestige, premium, place it used to be. It is jaded and found to be a little "naff". Just look at the top of the reception counter as you check in to get some idea of the experience you will get. Well worn, tired and out of place. Painting the oak panneling and gas "log" fire are other touches that give away the down market changes. The dining room in the Orangery is no better than a breakfast room with formica tops, no table cloths and does not have the ambiance of a fine dining room. The menu was VERY disappointing. There were only 6 main courses on offer and none of those offered the quality beef that was flagged up in the menu preamble until we asked for it. Two of the four meals we ordered were so good they were half eaten and finding a good red wine was a problem. The only positive point was the service. We were attended to by Jill and her colleagues well, with courtesy and patience, for a group that was clearly disillusioned and disappointed by the experience.

Room Tip: I cannot rate this as a Hotel or Spa as I have not stayed there. However if you want a special meal...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Nicholas C
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
I am sorry that you felt your dining experience with us was not what you had hoped for but I must contest a number of your points and inaccurancies. The oak panneling in the main hall was painted in 1953 by previous owners and the gas log fire has been in place for nearly 15 years following some very close calls with chimney fires! There is no formica used in the hotel, the orangery tables are solid wood and the Orangery itself was built just 4 years ago at considerable investment. I personally would never expect to see more than 6 main courses on a menu when food is prepared freshly to order. Our wine list includes over 30 red wines including wines from some of the leading vineyards and estates in Europe and the New World so I can not understand your failiure to select a suitable wine. I am delighted that you found the service to be of our usual high standard.
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I were married at Headlam Hall on Good Friday, it was the best day of our lives. From our first meeting with Angela to the perfection to detail that Andrew and the staff gave on the day I would recommend Headlam Hall to any bride to be.

My mum and Bridesmaids stayed the evening before the wedding, in which I had the Gainford suite - all I can say is what a room it was amazing, on the space available for us all to get ready on the wedding day to the views it provided us.

The wedding day was perfect, our guests had nothing but praise for the venue from the grounds to the wedding breakfast that was served. Andrew ensured that everything ran smoothly and we couldn't of asked for anymore.

From booking the wedding, the staff were excellent in their communication with any questions I had and nothing was too much trouble.

Quite a number of guests stayed the night at the hotel and used the spa facilities which they highly recommended.

A superb hotel, which has very special memories for us both that I will cherish in years to come.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teesside78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Headlam
7.3 km away
#1 of 1 in Billingham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,005 reviews
5.1 km away
BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!