All reviews wet room poster bed the pub two nights on arrival full english lovely hotel young staff car park great shower lovely meal yogurt warm welcome lovely room couple of nights a lovely stay bath
Reviewed 1 February 2018

I took my mum on a trip down memory lane, she had spent a lot of time in Hatherleigh in her youth before moving down south, and this was somewhere she remembered fondly. Obviously, it has changed in some ways, but it still remains a beautiful pub, very atmospheric, with great staff and wonderful, very reasonably priced food. I can highly recommend the cheese board!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
The_George_Hath, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2018

So pleased that you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for taking the time to write your review! We take pride in customer service and as you point out the staff are great! We are very fond of cheese here, and we offer two cheese boards, a regular one and a speciality one which only has local west country cheeses sources from a little local supplier. Hope to see you again soon! Christian & Di

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Stopped here just after Xmas whilst staying down in Devon. Really nice decor and ambiance and the lady behind the bar was very welcoming.
The lunch menu was a little typical which would have been nice if it had had a couple of more interesting or unusual dishes but that’s the only reason I don’t rate it a 5.
Both our lunches were very nice, home cooked food and the service was extremely friendly and efficient.
Would visit again.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
The_George_Hath, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you didnt find the lunch menu more interesting, we do try to have something for all tastes on there - sandwiches with a choice of breads, mugs of home made seasonal soup, croque madame, sharing platters - or maybe our own home made fish finger sarnies!

We hope you come back soon to try again - the dinner menu is much more varied and Chef is currently working on a brand new one!

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here along with family and friends, as my son got married in a nearby village. All the rooms were great . Really helpful and friendly staff.
Would definitely stay again.
Thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
The_George_Hath, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted you had a good stay and wish your son and his wife a long and happy life together! Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

We booked for two nights 25 -26 November. Unfortunately when we arrived and went down for dinner I became very unwell with a tummy bug. So unwell that I couldn’t eat my dinner and went straight to bed, very disappointing as we had planned a nice weekend break with my parents pre xmas.
To my horror the evenings entertainment which was a rock band, was playing right under my room, the vibrations through the room were horrendous and even made the pictures on the wall vibrate. I lay in bed until the band finished playing which was at 12.15 am!
I felt so poorly and was desperate for sleep but had to endure hours of heavy vibrating music. The time ticked by and I kept praying that at 11.00pm, 11.30pm, 12.00 pm that the music would stop. By midnight I rang downstairs to complain and had to leave an answer message .
The next morning at breakfast, which I couldn’t eat because I was still unwell ,the manager spoke to me about my message , saying that they do have entertainment to attract local customers. But my reply was as to why we weren’t put in a quieter room and not directly above the band? The hotel wasn’t fully booked and that could have been an option if some thought and consideration had been made for paying customers.
When we booked online there was no mention of a band that evening . Had there been one mentioned we wouldn’t have considered booking it in the first place.
It was really unfortunate that I became unwell as soon as we arrived, but what didn’t help was not being able to rest in the evening which I desperately needed.
I would not return to this hotel and I feel some sort of compensation would have been appropriate since I didn’t even eat the evening meal, and felt their general attitude wasn’t very sympathetic.
Also on Sunday’s the only dinner available are pizzas, which is not made clear on their website, unless you look under the pizza menu, which we didn’t look at as we weren’t interested in eating pizza!
The decor and bedrooms are charming , it’s very clean and the bar staff/ reception were friendly.
I’m really disappointed to have to leave such a grumpy review of what potentially should have been such a lovely break.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Stayed here, and had the splendid first floor room with the balcony overlooking the town high street. The room is huge, with an extra large fourposter bed, and big deep freestanding roll-top bath. Lashings of hot water and towels, plus toiletries. Also a beautiful ensuite shower room with massive shower head and double washbasins.

Although my room was over the main bar area the sound proofing is excellent, and the rooms are entirely separate from the rest of the inn.

The breakfasts were lovely. Plenty of choice. Nice crispy bacon, good sausages and perfectly cooked eggs, even the tomato had a little herby seasoning which just added to the flavour. Had a really nice roast lunch there, very tasty meat and good fresh veg.

A nice touch was the complementary tea and coffee tray in the room, which as well as tea, and generous hot chocolate and biscuits, had real ground coffee - most other places I have stopped have sachets of instant coffee. There was also a notice saying that fresh milk was available at the bar ( I hate that stuff in little pots)

Couldn't be bettered in my opinion. I stayed for the tar barrels festival and had a most wonderful view of the proceedings from the almost full length balcony. The surrounding country side is stunning, especially at this time of year with the beautiful beech leaves. True rural England, and the little market town (still with a working market) - Hatherleigh - gives a real flavour of what it is like to live in a thriving rural community.

Lots of friendly folk in the bar, and the place is obviously well liked and patronised by locals. The owners and staff couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and welcoming, and the icing on the cake for me was to be able to take my dog, who was really welcomed, rather than just tolerated as in so many 'dog friendly' establishments

Highly recommended, and if I am able I will visit again. Ps Loads of free parking at rear.

Room tip: Room 1 is large with free standing tub and double french windows onto the balcony overlooking the town street.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
The_George_Hath, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We very much hope we will see you again, and will be thinking about you.

All the very best