“Fantastic scents and flavors”
Review of Locanda del Gallo

Locanda del Gallo
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Chianni
Price range: US$17 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: home made "daily" pasta, hot soups, Breised, roasted and grilled meat. Simply tuscan, simply genuine.
Reviewed 24 September 2017

The restaurant has a very nice location, the menu is relatively simple, but very tasty. The owner was really helpful, he explained what were the dishes made of, what the seasonings were. The service was also very attentive.
My daughters have eaten pasta, my wife and I have tried some dishes of meat. The smell of food was fantastic, but the taste of it surpassed it. The wine of the house was very delicious.
We had a lot of fun!

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Four of us had wonderful dishes, genuine Tuscan cooking. Lovely mixed antipasto, pasta al dente, delicious sauces, slow cooked beef amazing. The waiter was very helpful, explaining all the dishes in very good English. The view was gorgeous and the restaurant nicely rustic.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We are a family of foodies and all agree this is the best restaurant we ate in during our entire holiday in Tuscany. The pasta was delicious ..... the slow cook beef with mashed potato side dish was so good our 8 year old son convinced us to order an extra portion. The waiter was lovely, patiently explaining every dish and answering questions. Cannot recommend this place highly enough

Reviewed 7 August 2017

This restaurant had excellent food and wine, and the best service, while enjoying a beautiful view from an outside patio. We enjoyed the soups, pasta, beef and pork. That was all we had time for. We were greeted by a smiling face every morning and in the evening, when we ate dinner there. We were on a tour and stayed at a local villa across the street from the restaurant. Simone is the star of the place. He is passionate about food, wine, cheese, and Italy. This is a great restaurant so put it on your list of places to dine when in Chianti.
Joyce, Joan and Deidra
Three Canadian Women

Reviewed 6 August 2017

We went there with relatively high expectations, the restaurant having very high evaluations in both google and tripadvisor. First warning came in the parking lot - there were two cars with Zurich numbers, and when we were seated on a nice terrace, our neighbors were Swiss-Germans. From our experience the best option is when we are the only foreigners in the room filled with Italians. The owner Simone spoke excellent English, better than mine, which is perhaps the second warning sign. We had as antipasti cold cuts and a few crostini, the onions on crostini were pretty tasty. The prosciutto was quite young for my taste and relatively thickly cut, but overall it was OK. For primi I had tagliatelle with sage pesto. The sage was not very bright, the pasta was a bit overcooked, but more importantly, it was awfully undersalted. I even had to go and find salt (and I've seen another woman also looking for salt, so I was not alone). The salt was standard iodized, that gave the pasta too harsh tone. My husband had white bean soup and our son had veal and tomato sauce, which was only slightly undersalted. The soup was good.
For secondi I had snails in tomato sauce, the snails were quite bright and retained tomato-y bright taste, but the sauce was almost tasteless. My husband who always finishes all the sauces, his and mine, stopped after the first dip of his bread. My husband had something close to pork osso bucco, it was a good stew, quite spicy for Italy, but perhaps not the best one that we had in this part of the world.
The main problem was with bistecca Fiorentina. Our son is a growing teenager, and in the two previous days we ate mostly fish-based dishes, so he got hungry and went for the stake. Simone told us it is prepared only "raw" and we confirmed that that was our choice too. When the meat came, it was blue, only seared outside, and the inside was completely raw flesh, about 1.5 inches thick, and it was cold! not even room temperature. My son struggled with it for long time, in the middle of it I could not stand it any longer, and went to find the grill to bring the stake to "normal" rare edible condition. I spoke to Simone, I am not sure he understood what I wanted, but he offered to finish the steak. But, when I came back to the table, my son has almost finished his meat.
To be completely honest, I had a few attempts to cook or order bistecca Fiorentina, and I never had good luck with it. It is never marbled enough, the bone is huge, but does not seem to enrich the meat enough. Perhaps again we were not lucky. But cooking was not perfect.
For desert we had tiramisu and panna cotta. Panna cotta was OK, although felt a bit rubbery, as if made a bit in advance. The tiramisu was certainly very dense.