“Lovely property and host!”

Billabong Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was an idyllic place to stay on our trip to Cairns! We avoided a lot of the tourist hustle and bustle, and had a nice quiet place to retreat to. There is a fun little beach within walking distance that has a nice cafe and market. Other than that, though, you feel like you're in the middle of the jungle.

Jeanine, the hostess, was delightful. She had an amazing breakfast of fruits, crossants, muesli, and on request- eggs and sausage. She's a very good cook!

Our room was a decent size, and while not well lit in the evenings, it was comfortable. She had plenty of brochures for us, and made all our tour bookings. She even went into Cairns to pay and pick up anything we needed. On the day we went scuba diving, we had to be at the dock at 6:30 am, and Jeanine got up early to have breakfast ready for us before we left.

When we packed up to leave, I accidentally locked my keys in the trunk of the car (the "boot" as the Aussies call it), and Jeanine took good care of us as she tracked down a local locksmith and had them on the property in 30 minutes all the while treating us to a beer and some stories as we waited. Definitely a great trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side of the house or in the private guest house. The room right off the p...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisguy
There are newer reviews for Billabong Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Billabong very much. Janenne was great. Great breakfast, great location, wonderful billabong with a nice deck. We enjoyed the nice views from our deck. The dog is the best educated dog ever seen :-)

Room Tip: Ask Janenne about the tea towel trick :-)
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank funbar75
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I can understand the many positive reviews: it's got a scenic location, rooms are comfortable and the hostess very affable. But unless you have a car, you'll need to take a 20 minute bus ride to Cairns at $6 round trip. And while you're there, make sure you make all your bookings and complete other needed communication because the wifi here is totally unreliable. Want some food or a drink? Then it'll be a good 10 minute walk to Holloways Beach, where most places close at 8;30 pm. Two nights of that was enough for me, and I found much better located accomodation in Cairns at comparable price.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Pentwater--summerjoy
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We stayed here around the Easter time and can highly recommend this b&b for its beautiful gardens, helpful hosts and nice lodging. It´s certainly not close to the center of Cairns, but even if you don´t have a car there are buses to Cairns. The neighborhood had its own beach (quite tiny), but you couldn´t really swim in the water because of the jellyfish. We went to dive at the Great Barrier Reef, which was an excellent experience, from another world! Beautiful!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annakosonen
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I found a piece of heaven when I stayed here. The view every morning was something to write home about! The Black-beaked Ibis, ducks, a Stork, cockatoos,Willy Tail Waggers and the Kookaburras made a lovely tropical song; one I'd never heard before. I miss it so. It was great to wake up to the Kookaburras laughing.They made me laugh along with them. Such a treat! I was there during the wedding mentioned by Hitchcock 1971, and she is right; Janenne went out of her way to make their special day beautiful and so memorable. It was quite lovely. I wanted to relax, and relax I did. It would not have been possible if not for Janenne, and "Roxy the Wonder Dog." I was so relaxed I forgot what day it was. I stayed the month of September, 2012 in the Tropical Room. It is situated away from the rest of the rooms, has the best view and privacy. Janenne's piece of heaven is the perfect place to relax, eat well every morning, and stroll around the grounds. It was the best vacation I've ever had. I wholeheartedly recommend Billabong B&B to anyone who is tired of hotel/motel rooms and would like to actually relax in a stunning setting. It is without a doubt the best, most beautiful, most relaxing B&B I've ever been to. The breakfasts are amazing. Janenne is the perfect hostess. Roxy is the best dog ever. She's so friendly, She became quite attached to me, but of course, I was feeding her water crackers every evening. I could go and on,..this place is amazing. Great value. I highly recommend this B&B to any solo female traveler or couple. It ought to be rated #1 in the entire Cairns area. Well done, Janenne! Well done! I miss you already and I am coming back! Thank you for the time of my life, and for everything you did for me to make my stay so memorable and so very special.

Room Tip: If you want total peace, choose the Tropical Room. It has the best view, and is situated away from t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Cairns Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Holloways Beach
0.7 km away
Pacific Sands Holiday Apartments Cairns
Pacific Sands Holiday Apartments...
#2 of 3 in Holloways Beach

Been to Billabong Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!