“Deserves it’s number one rating!”
Review of De Paterstafel

De Paterstafel
Reserve with
De Paterstafel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Watou
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: Swiss, International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy in a quiet and relaxe atmosphere. Pleasant prices.Fresh food. Traditionnal cuisine. 2 terasses. Fireplace. 3 rooms all with own shower and toilet.
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

My partner and I ate here last Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We had a parsnip soup as an amuse-bouche which was delicious. For starters, I had the snails- I only ordered 6 (but wish I had gone for 12 after tasting them!) and my partner had cured meat with salad and Parmesan-again, both delicious. Mains and desserts were equally as good, we cleared our plates on every course! Frank the owner was very friendly and welcoming and on hand to answer questions about the menu. All meals were cooked from scratch which meant a bit of waiting time between courses, but the food was definitely worth the wait. It made a nice change to be in a restaurant and not feel rushed and we had a lovely, relaxed and enjoyable evening. We will definitely return on our next visit to Belgium!

Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Although we were the only people in on a Friday night, which made the atmosphere a little quiet, we enjoyed our meals and the service we got. If in Watou again, we would happily go back.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

We ate here on Saturday night and had a special meal. The menu was very varied with some quality choices to select from. We tried the Wagyu beef which was exceptional. I always think that the test of a good restaurant is if there is more than one thing on the menu you would really like to order. There certainly was here. I could have easily gone back the following evening and had a completely different meal and enjoyed it as much. We sat at a very unusual table which we were told was used by jewellers,but was great for dining. The owner was welcoming and knowledgable. An enjoyable night!
If only the weather was better we would have liked to eat outdoors, but next time.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
3  Thank malcolm b
Reviewed 8 May 2017

I was at this restaurant in the middle of the week, out-of-season. I was the only guest. The inside of the restaurant had a pungent smell of frying oil. The waiter/owner explained that this was caused by cleaning the frying pan. I ordered lamb chops. Although I requested them to be baked “rosé”, they were fried well-done (baked through). The waiter took five euros of the bill as courtesy. The meal (two lamb chops) contained fried potatoes and a small kind of white beans in a creamy sauce at the side. It was quite tasty after adding some salt. The waiter charged EUR 19.50 for three small glasses of moderate quality house wine (EUR 6.50 per glass!). I enjoyed the meal but that was largely the result of skipping breakfast and lunch that day. I find EUR 39.50 too expensive for the meal+drinks they served.

De P, Inhaber at De Paterstafel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Enjoying a quiet evening, working at the website comes in this “gentleman”. I knew I was in for hassle...A few comments to his remarks.

Hopefully better during high season: our quality standard is always the same, day in day out.

Pungent smell of frying oil: as a conscious member of “The Proper Chip Appreciation Society” we use beef tallow from a local butcher for our chips. This has to be renewed frequently in order to get the best possible taste for the fries. That, we were doing and the smell of melting fresh tallow is certainly unusual but in no way pungent. I never spoke about a frying pan, this is clearly a lie.

Lamb chops rosé: I was in no mood for discussion so when the customer complained, I did not even check but said:”I'll knock something off the bill”. Later on I had a look and the meat was perfectly rosé. This “gentleman” clearly wanted some discount. So, let him be happy with it.

Fried potatoes: the famous, new potatoes from Noirmoutier.
Beans: Flageolets. As the customer did not know this variety I explained him in detail.
This main course is a very popular dish served every year in april / may mutch to the satisfaction of our customers.

6,50 € per glass: the wine list is on the table so this could no surprice.
Moderate quality wine: it was a biological wine of excellent quality.
Why drink 3 glasses (0,15 l each) if the wine is too expensive and of moderate quality?

EUR 39.50 too expensive: if too expensive one may consider to choose something else (main courses as from 15,00 € on) and drink less.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

We had a great dinner and a warm welcome as well as a personal translation of the menu into English from the Owner. The local village has a number of restaurants and we were pleased with our choice of De Paterstafel.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant