“Simply Stunning!”

Pacific Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Karon Beach
Reviewed 30 November 2007

This hotel is amazing!
Small, away from the busy areas close to the beach with amazing swimming pool on the roof and the rooms ehhhh, I wish I could go back now ;-)
If you are planing a quiet getaway with your "better half" dont look any further. I know we will be going there again when we decide to visit Phuket again...

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tkrysiak
Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed 27 November 2007

We stayed at Pacific Club and Spa for 7 nights and utalised one of their packages. It included various vouchers to use at the club.

The staff in the Hotel were very friendly and helpful. Only drawback there were some staff that had limited English but always tried hard.

We had booked an executive floor room but I am not sure if this is what we got as we were not on the top floor. The room how ever was lovely except for the bathroom which I struggled to get past the door to use the toilet.

The place was spotlessly clean and I enjoyed the food at the restaurant.

I enjoyed the waterfall pool and contrarary to the last post we found the resort had been completed and were told the foyer area had been redesigned and it was lovely. The road has also been paved.

There is certainly a lot of construction going on around and although the walk to the beach is fairly enjoyable it can be tiring coming back so do as we did and just hail a tuk tuk if you are tired.

I liked using the inhouse taxi but were confused more than once when told in the information book that the cost to Karon is 50 baht then we were told 100 at reception until I showed them where I had read it.

The housekeeping in the place was great. Room maintained to a very high standard.

My ownly negative is the pacific money vouchers. On it it cleary states 1 per bill. We had drinks in the afternoon and settled the bill and then later in the day came back and wanted to have drinks by the pool and were told no we can only use one a day (not one per bill as stated on the reverse). This was not stated on the voucher so I was a bit disappointed as it was our last day.

We used the spa service mainly because we had the vouchers and the girls in there were wonderful.

Overall our stay was lovely and I would recommend this place for a quiet relaxing holiday away from the main beach area.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dilligaft
Reviewed 25 November 2007

We chose this hotel on the strength of trip advisor reviews. Booked two weeks and arrived with high expectations. Too high as it turned out!

Construction work still ongoing in the hotel for the full two weeks and the road up to the hotel was a complete mess. There is construction work up the length of the road and it looks as though it will be ongoing for at least the next 3 months. After rain the road was covered in mud and made worse by the construction traffic that parked along the length of the access road to the hotel every day

There were numerous dogs in the area. I counted nine around the entrance to the hotel one night. They didn’t appear unfriendly but it could be a problem for people that are afraid of dogs.

There are rotting piles of refuse further down the road towards the lagoon, the smell was terrible and the dogs tended to gather in this area also.

The greatest drawback for this hotel is that awful access road!!!!!

There was an awful smell in the area of the Jacuzzi in the garden. Consequently we never used it and I never saw any one else using it in the whole two weeks of our stay.

The rooftop pool area was nice but the sun beds were uncomfortable without the pads. Unfortunately during our stay only a few of the beds had the padding and for a period of several days none of them had any.

The construction work around the hotel entrance that was scheduled to be completed by 15 September was still not completed at the time we checked out on 1st November.

The Food in the hotel restaurant was very average, breakfasts were OK and we ate dinner in the hotel on several occasions but were on the whole disappointed. We ate out most of the time there are excellent restaurants in Karon and Kata. Try the Red Onion in Karon fantastic Thai food and very reasonably priced. If you like Indian food the Khan Baba, on Kata Karon road is out of this world.

Waited a long time to use the internet in the hotel always long queues to use this so gave up and went to Andaman coffee internet café when we needed to use it.

The rooms are quite spacious, well equipped and clean (we booked the garden view super suite for the extra space)

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Would have rated the hotel a little higher but for that awful access road and ongoing construction works in and around the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank RICHIE-YORKS
uncle-eric, Owner at Pacific Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2007

Dear Richy-Yorks. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations although I would have to assume that you didn't really read or view any of the previous reviews. And probably since it rained most of the time you were here, it didn't help your attitude. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you and cheer you up a bit with a couple drinks on a rainy day. Since you're a newbie on TripAdvisor (registered and reviewed us on the same day), I'll go a bit easy on you. TA is a great tool to find out everything about the hotels you plan to visit, but please make sure to read the reviews (and look at their photos) before shagging us.

1. The view in the pictures you posted has been posted many times in previous reviews. Fact of the matter is that the construction of the half million dollar condos below us has been going on for 3 years, and they only keep looking better as they near to finish, everyone who has reviewed Pacific Club has stated the same. It just doesn't bother them. Fact of the matter is that construction is booming everywhere in Thailand and you can't walk out of any hotel and not pass construction. We can't control what construction is going on around our hotel and neither can anyone else. But Pacific Club is fully soundproofed with 6 inch thick Q-Con walls and insulated doors and therefore you can understand why it doesn't bother anyone else, it's not in your face, and you walk by it in less than 30 seconds while going in and out.

2. Fact is that many people have already mentioned the dogs on the road, and as you mentioned, they are harmless and friendly. I've replied to this comment a zillion times before. Just to summarize, there are stray dogs everywhere in Thailand and because it's a Bhuddist country, they don't kill them.

3. Fact, the jacuzzi water doesn't smell and is well treated. Just check my reply to the review of a few weeks ago. The drain vents are in the parking lot and occasionally a little bit of smell comes out. I have later found out the the air injection pump on our wastewater treatment plant was broken during the time you stayed and has been fixed. That takes care of that. The towel use report for October tells me that you must be blind because at least 15-20 people / day used the jacuzzi and sauna. That's quite a lot for a 40 room hotel. They must love it and we have outside customers who come up and pay to use it in spite of the fact there are zillions of sauna jacuzzi places around.

4. We don't put the Pads out on the deck chairs at the pool when it rains because they absorb water and mildew causing them to smell. Since it rained most of the time you were there, all you had to do is call reception and ask somebody to get some more for you.

5. It always helps to ask us to provide what you need and tell us your complaints, as you can see, over 90% of the other reviewers felt they were very well served. And yes, thanks for reminding me, we have been pushing the local government to clean the refuse on the side of the road about 200 meters from Pacific Club. And although it's not our responsibility to clean the entire neighborhood, I'll probably end up paying to get it done ourselves, just like I paved the road as well. Most people say I did a great job on it, especially since it's not even my responsibility to pave public roads. Thank God we are surrounded on 3 out of 4 sides by National Forest. I feel sorry for the hotels who have to worry about all sides.

6. The outside restaurants you mentioned are cheap skate restaurants. We are serving customers who demand more and want to pay less, I've been in the restaurant business for 20 years in Phuket and you can't find a restaurant that delivers top quality for a better value than we do, I guarantee it. The 120 day grain fed Chilled Angus Beef Steaks we serve are double the price in any other reputable restaurant, but they do cost more than a couple dollars. Perhaps that's why you didn't like our menu.

And thanks for the nice comments about our rooms. And we are going to put in a dedicated free Internet computer in the new "Living Room" on account of your suggestion for the other folks who forgot their laptops.

Really sorry you didn't enjoy Pacific like everyone else.

Kind Regards,

Uncle Eric
Owner

Reviewed 24 November 2007

We read all the reviews and knew what to expect and overall I was more than happy with the selection TerrysTours made for us.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful (I should have made an effort to get their names). Breakfast was...OK but the food was EXCELLENT in the evening. I'd say theirs is the best steak I've had in Thailand (and I've been four times).
The room we were allocated (Garden View) was more spacious then I thought it would be and the maid kept it spotless every day. I especially liked the walk in shower.
Yes...much has been made about the construction work...but... hey ...we knew what to expect and it didn't bother us at all as we were out all day and every day.
The rooftop swimming pool was a delight. Eric mentions in some of his responses that the hotel is surrounded by jungle. I thought he'd be eggagerating...but no...it REALLY is!! I half expected to see some gorillas rushing down between some moving trees one day.
My ONLY gripe was the distance from the beach...I know Eric has made much of the fact that it's only xx metres and only takes xx minutes to walk....but...our party of ten found we got tuk-tuks most days to go to Karon...as the walk from the hotel to the beach passed the rubbish tip by the lake it isn't too pleasant. It'll improve with time no doubt as the whole area seems to be under construction. Anyway..as mentioned we knew what to expect so, Eric, don't be disappointed with this minor gripe. The tuk tuks were only 100 baht into town and some could carry all ten of us!!
I REALLY enjoyed the Pacific Club. The rooms, food and staff all exceeded my expectations.
Karon is a nice town and the beach was lovely. Patong is only 10 minutes away (250 baht in tuktuk) and a bit more livelier at night. Only gripe about the beach is the constant flow of the beach vendors...every 2 minutes...I found the best way was to avoid eye contact completely and NEVER look at their goods.
I loved Phuket! The golf was VERY expensive compared with Hua-Hin and Chang-Mai but the island is lovely.
We'll be going back next year, probably with my daughter and may well choose the Pacific Club again as we know what to expect.
Thumbs up from me!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank CanastaHotel
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Just returned from Phuket where we attended our daughter's wedding. Arriving very late following a delayed flight the taxi was there to meet us at the airport as arranged and in spite of it being almost 11pm when we got to the hotel we were greeted with a glass of fruit punch and the staff happily supplied us with a freshly cooked meal. (Room service)

We ate in the hotel often and the food was always delicious, the staff always attentive and the conditions excellent.

I chose the hotel precisely because of its location. Yes there is building work going on; yes there are an assortment of (quiet, lazy) dogs around; yes it is a few minutes walk from Karon - but the compensations are that it's a wonderfully designed hotel, well staffed, quiet and surrounded by lush tropical forest. Our daughter stayed in one of the 'top' hotels in Phuket, but I wouldn't have swopped for anything. (Oh - and even that hotel had a few lazy dogs roaming outside.)

The room was delightful and was properly cleaned every day and
the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. One very minor point; there is lots of wardrobe and hanging space, but nowhere that I could hang my calf length dress (brought for the wedding).

There was also a problem with the phones when we were there; both my daughter and I rang the hotel from Patong on numerous occasions and received no reply. The receptionist didn't seem surprised when I informed her of it so I guess this might be an ongoing difficulty. Probably not a big issue for most people on holiday, but my daughter had collapsed and been taken to hospital suddenly and couldn't contact me.

I would recommend the hotel taxi service; good value, convenient and safe. If you feel adventurous take a walk into the forest behind the hotel (we did, much to the alarm of the reception staff) where there are well marked paths.

We won't be going to Thailand again; prefering other climates, but I would unhesitatingly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Phuket.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TiggyAnn
uncle-eric, Owner at Pacific Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2007

Thank you for your kind review, we have identified and solved the problem with the phonecard system. Some folks might not know that we offer toll free use of any worldwide phone card as well as Thai phonecards. Any call to a Thai access number that starts with 999 / 800 /108 is allowed free of charge (most hotels have a 6-10 USD service charge to access toll free or phonecard numbers). This service allows you to save about 90% on phone calls compared to any other hotel, and allows you to dial direct from your room and we sell the phonecards here (it's even cheaper than Skype). But, there was a problem during the whole month of November as one of our maintenance boys had switched one of the main customer access lines (the first one the PABX connects to) from one phone company to another (the other one didn't allow toll free calls). During that time we did offer customers free taxi to the nearest public phone (normally about 5 minutes walk, but not nearly as convenient as calling from your room) and we offered use of our staff mobile phones. Now it has been corrected. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

0.5 km away
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
33.3 km away
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Pacific Club Resort? Share your experiences!