“Be prepared to be fleeced if you allow it”

Siblu Villages - La Carabasse
Ranked #5 of 27 Speciality Lodging in Vias
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Four of us have just come back from La Carabasse (August 2011). It was our first trip to the Langedoc although we have stayed at a Siblu site near Paris previously. It was the pleasant experience we had there (and a couple of grand of Tesco vouchers) that persuaded us to book this holiday.
The site was much busier and crowded than our previous experience with this company. First impressions weren't good. When I'm checking in after travelling all day with two kids (flew to Toulouse and hired a car from the airport), I don't expect to be asked what time I'm intending to check out. Nor did I give them an estimate with 11 days of stay ahead and eventually booked my "leaving appointment" about 48 hours before we actually were due to check out.
Our initial impression was that the site just felt grubby around the edges although it's hard define quite why. One major bone of contention for me is the dog fouling area next to a kid's playground and alongside the swimming pool that wasn't cleaned for nearly a week. OK, it's the responsibility of the owners to clear up after their dogs but as many clearly weren't doing so, Siblu should been more pro-active in that area. You could smell the stench as you walked past it but thankfully we were in accommodation a little further away.
Some of the prices are extortionant, both at the site and in some of the supermarkets in Vias Plage. Four very average pizzas and a few drinks set us back 50 euro on the night we arrived at the main restaurant (Atoll). We learnt quickly and found if we were going to buy fast food the takeaway restaurant at the pool was cheaper, relatively, and had a better range of food. The onsite shop is unsuprisingly expensive but one or two purchase took our breath away. Nearly 5 euro for a small box of oven chips (and I mean small) although I didn't twig until we'd been through the check out.
It becomes much more economical if you have transport to go to the supermarkets in Bezier or Agde, although the traffic can be a nightmare. It took me two hours on the Saturday to get back the 5 miles I'd ventured from the park so beware.
The bar prices will make you wince. 6 Euro for an optic measured spirit. Nearly 5 Euro for a pint. The trick as far as possible is to take advantage of happy hour which runs from 7pm to 8pm at the poolside bar where most of the entertainment takes place later in the evening. Buy in advance (a 1 litre carafe of wine comes in at 5 Euro which isn't bad), and many other drinks are half price. Although expect a lecture, as I received, when I queued for 10 minutes and missed the 8pm cut off by seconds and protested when they tried to charge me the full price. "I can't be doing this again", said the barman in his Irish brogue before finally agreeing to honour happy hours prices!
So lots of moans. But, equally, I need to mention the positives.
The sense of grubbiness dissipated after a day or two. Maybe we just got use to the environment. Certainly, the site is well maintained from a landscaping perspective.
The pool, I think, is brilliant. Initially I thought the lifeguards were a little over-the-top with their reaction to minor misdemeanors but when you see how busy the pool area gets as the day wears on you understand why they have to be so controlling. Security also keeps a close control should any behaviour become inappropriate.
Back to the fleecing though. Why Siblu think it's OK to charge 2.50 Euro for sunbeds when the initial "free" allocation has been taken up I really don't understand. That's very poor.
The entertainment at the pool was some of the best I've seen. The "We Will Rock You" stage show was simply superb, and the Michael Jackson Hits show not far behind, although again they let themselves down by advertising a start time which in the event becomes half an hour or more later. When you've got small children as we have and you plan an evening around the scheduled times that can become very difficult. Nonetheless, I really thought the entertainment staff tried very hard and there are some talented individuals amongst them.
All in all, something of a curate's egg; some good and some bad. But it could have been so much better if only we hadn't left with the feeling that Siblu hadn't tried to milk us for every last penny.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Paul_Woodley

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We originally stayed at La Carabasse in 2007 and had a really fabulous time, plenty to do for all ages ranging ( our lot ) 10 - 15. This year we went again and were thoroughly dissappointed. The caravan was a good size, excellence with a/c but it was very under equiped in the kitchen department!! Extremely pricey too, booked through Siblu themselves. NO evening entertainment for the teens in our group, not even a disco!!! The eveing entertainment was very poor overall with " Conga, conga, conga " being the most belted out hit by the staff. Wi-Fi was another rip off as was paying for good sunbeds. The onsite shop... well just don't go there if you don't want to be ripped off (small box off coco pops nearly £5) Having spent all that ammount of money and then having to clean the caravan on departure....come on Siblu,,, not good at all.
We genuinely love that area of France, but next time it will be a villa with a pool and stll cheaper than Siblu. The beach was fantastic but do your holiday shopping in Montpellier (by train from Adge less hassle) much cheaper than the shops in Vias Plage

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We spent a week in La Carabasse, arranged the accommodation privately rather than through Siblu which I think saved around £300. We were in a caravan in Les Vignes B area which was situated quite conveniently near the entrance and not too far from pool area. Caravan was very clean and well equipped although the twin room for my 2 teenage daughters was very cramped. It was lovely having the outside decking alongside the caravan and quite picturesque for a campsite.

The facilities on the site are good, though book tennis in advance, I thought we'd be able to get a court the same day but had to book 4 days in advance. We didn't take advantage of the clubs as my youngest is too young and teenagers too old. The pool area is very nice but as ever, never enough sun beds. I do find it irritating that having paid for a fun pass to access the area you then have to pay 2.5 euros to hire a sun bed for the day as there aren't enough free ones. It was heaving in the pool area most of the time and people squeezed in on towels on concrete floor - not particularly comfortable. Very useful home delivery service from the on site Atoll restaurant & bar which provided pretty good food - pizzas etc. Average cost of meal for family of 5 around 80 euros which was the same everywhere in Vias Plage.

Vias Strip, the walk from La Carabasse down to the beach, isn't particularly pretty, not quite what I expected from my image of the South of France and although the beaches are absolutely lovely, sandy, very safe, not crowded they also don't look very pretty - there is a campsite on the beach that has wire fence around it to make it look like a prison camp.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JooPooHudson
Reviewed 31 July 2011

First Siblu holiday and we will defintley be back again even through the weather was rubbish

We booked the basic accomadation and its was excellent-only a couple years old and i great condition with a loveley decking area to sit out on-the only gripe was there was no green areas around the caravans for the kids to play on

The highlight of the park is the pools and water slides which are fantastic however they closed when it rained much to the annoyance of us brits!

The other highlight was the kids club which my daughter loved and gave Mum and Dad a couple of ours peace,the evening entertainment which started half way through our stay was very good

The site has a well stocked shop with its own bakery which does fresh bread and crossaints etc everyday ,the bar was ok and a bit pricey

The town of Vias its self is a typical seaside town and some nice resturants which were reasonably priced-i was worried that the south of France would be pricey but all the resturants do set menus with 3 courses for around 15 Euros

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here in May. Our mobile home was superb and in a great location with a fantastic decking terrace and a garden area. The site was well maintained and very clean. The nearby beach is wonderful with lots of little bays and golden sands. We have already booked to go back next year.

• Stayed: May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vias
4.6 km away
15 km away
Camping Domaine de la Yole
Camping Domaine de la Yole
#4 of 18 in Valras-Plage

Been to Siblu Villages - La Carabasse? Share your experiences!