“So quintessentially french”

Price range: US$15 - US$29
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The "Café de la Gare", is located in the heart of the region producing wines of southern Burgundy.Its privileged situation at the start of the "Voie Verte" along the road leading to the "Grand Site of Solutré" is a step for lovers of traditional regional cooking.Labelised "Table de Pays" it's a guarantee of a warm welcome, products cooked on place, at the best priceOn "wine card", priority has been given to the best local wines.
Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

While traveling through France it was fantastic to revisit this restaurant. It was packed, atmospheric and charming. Simple food, efficiency served and reasonably economic. So typical of a really good country restaurant serving local wine (yummy) and excellent food. How I wish it was in the village I live in.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

It was Monday, August 15th, a bank holiday in France so we were having a horrible time finding a place for lunch. Most places were either closed or fully booked. We kept driving fearing we would end up at McDo on the autoroute. And to our great surprise we saw a sign on the road announcing a "Menu du Jour". Eureka, a restaurant still open just before 2pm. Not only did they confirm we could sit down but they welcomed us as is we had booked. We had a lovely table under the trees and started with a glass of Pouilly -Fuissé as we were in the region.
As for the cuisine we were half expecting a meager selection but were pleasantly surprised by the menu. As soon as I saw Quenelles I was sold. So I savored my Quenelle sauce Nantua and Christophe enjoyed his andouillette (which I can't stomach but he said was great). The wine was very good so we threw caution to the wind and had a second glass with dessert. The soupe aux abricots au basilic was fabulous. So fresh and refreshing. Perfect dessert for the very hot afternoon.
Since we were certainly not the last guests to sit down we felt we could linger a bit. The owner/hostess was friendly enough to come over with two cordial glasses and a bottle of Creme de Cassis from one of her favorite local suppliers for us to taste. Honestly, it was the best creme de cassis I had ever tasted. Pure flavor of cassis and not that nasty syrupy taste.
Overall it was one of the best meals of our extended weekend trip to the Beaujolais region. I only hope I will have the opportunity to come back here again.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Great fench food at very reasonable prices in a refurbished RR crossing home. The patio is shaded and very pleasant during long summer evenings.

Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

A warm welcome, traditional menu, very good value. Popular with local people. We reserved a table for lunch which was necessary. I had an Entrecôte, chips, salad and my lunch companion had Steak Tartare. Both dishes excellent and served very quickly. Strongly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 5 November 2015

Perfect for a quick lunch this buzzing roadside café has a very traditional French style about it with friendly, efficient staff and a simple menu with a good range of excellent food. Great for a break between local wine tasting in the area.