“Pleasant and pleasing food”

Megalong Valley Tearooms
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Historic tearooms set amidst the stunning sandstone escarpments of the upper Blue Mountains. Breakfast, lunch, tea, coffee, scones and cakes served every day.
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

While the day was a bit blowy and cold, the tearoom was a pleasant place for a bite. The interesting eating areas appeared a bit open but were in fact comfortable. Several of us had the different soups on offer and found them satisfying. The chat potato dish was plentiful as was the grilled veggie wrap. The shepherds pie also got the thumbs up. The tearoom is a good spot; I am just disappointed we did not have their scones as they have a good reputation in the region.

Reviewed 10 August 2018

Nice place to go for morning tea or lunch ,we had the apple pie which was delicious,but if your not a big eater like me I suggest you share one with someone as it is quite large .

Reviewed 7 August 2018

We had a wonderful experience at the Megalong Valley Tearooms.. The staff were very friendly and obliging.. We had the Pies with the Cheesy Chat potatoes and sour cream.. 5 of us had the beef pies and one chicken, and not one complaint between us.. The room had a wonderful fire going and we all felt very relaxed and enjoying the day.. I just want to say a huge thank you to David as he did make our day.. Thank you

1  Thank plake37
Reviewed 7 August 2018

You need to realise before coming here that this is not a fancy place. Don't expect too much and you will enjoy it for what it is - a house with an outdoor loo in the middle of the valley that sells tasty home-made food. There is very little else to visit in the Megalong Valley, so it's a good stop if you come here for a drive or a walk through the bush. On a cold day, the fire was warm, the service friendly, the scones and lamingtons fresh and I even enjoyed a glass of the local Drydale wine.

2  Thank airheart_ash
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Have been a few times, however, not since new makeover. Lady staff member was excellent.
We wanted a cream tea. The scones whilst baked well, crusty on outside and fluffy on inside - the price too expensive. $11.50 for two scones. Work out to be $6.25 per scone. Usually, Tea is included in a cream tea (or Devonshire tea). The tea was separate charge at $5 each ($5.50 for specialty teas). The jam was very good and plenty of (whipped) cream.
Have never anywhere had such a costly cream tea.
To clarify, my comparison is valid: I have been to all the great hotels of London for Afternoon tea and many other places.
At Lillianfels in Katoomba, a cream tea costs around $12, including tea, in a comfortable, well-appointed saloon. A different surrounding - yes, but should we pay twice more for dusty ground, dirty outside seats? Whilst it could be argued the natural beauty of the spot and the distance from another town may contribute to the high cost of product, that would be nonsense, as it is about 10 minutes to Blackheath. Also, it could be argued that the rustic setting makes it more special - no - there are plenty of better spots to pull over and take in the ambience. The snotty attitude of the male cashier was jarring compared to the friendliness of the server. When I questioned the bill, he was most put out. Would not go again, and this is from a customer that prefers to spend in local economy and is not a tourist.

1  Thank wideranger2018
Simon S, Owner at Megalong Valley Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Seriously!!??
Why people ask do I waste my time replying to these ridiculous reviews!?
Our high tea deluxe price $25.50 pp
Lillianfells high tea price $49 pp
Totally different products, totally different ambience but both great experiences.
As for why I might have seemed a little strange. You asked us four times to explain your bill!!??
At the end of the day if you really think $17 for two home baked scones with a big bowl of cream, fresh made blackberry jam and a huge choice of proper leaf teas is too much don't come down!! It's really very simple. It's not like I dragged you down here and made you order without looking at a menu. It's just bizarre.........
and what do you mean dirt floor? If you mean in the garden well yes it's dirt. Would you prefer it if I concreted it over?
Good grief.